• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forced REDES to SWO?

Renegade One

None
but we never actually did get a straight answer.... lol
I guess the most honest "straight answer" is MAYBE. So much depends on the needs of the Navy at the time, the subjective assessment of the individual candidate/officer, fleeting opportunities that can't be predicted, etc.

Surely your hard-earned college degree creates a backup plan. Do whatever you would have done had you never applied.

SWOMan

Would be crappy to see a year of hard work and sacrifice go down the drain. Would probably just enlist at that point. At least nfo seems to have remained healthy.

exNavyOffRec

Would be crappy to see a year of hard work and sacrifice go down the drain. Would probably just enlist at that point. At least nfo seems to have remained healthy.

nearly impossible for a person that was once commissioned to go enlisted, so just don't fail out.

BigRed389

None
but we never actually did get a straight answer.... lol

Forced Redesig doesn't happen at OCS.
Only "forced" thing I saw was a BDCP guy get kicked out of OCS, and shipped to boot camp...but that's part of the contract.

I was (and saw a few other) NAMI Whammies. None were FORCED to continue, and a few actually did opt to go home.

I was just asked if I wanted to stay on, and whether I'd prefer SWO or Supply.

OCS staff would probably know better, but I'd expect a lot plays into the decision of whether or not they'll offer you a spot in another designator, mainly stuff R1 already mentioned.
If you're NAMI Whammied, but otherwise a strong candidate, they're probably more inclined to work for you (they have to call up BUPERS and see whether or not they have a spot in another designator).

Be aware available designators for the switch once at OCS may be limited. For example, Nuke and Intel both require stuff above and beyond what a SNA/SNFO applicant would have in their records, and there won't be enough time to take care of that stuff like the Nuke Interview or SSBI.

SWOMan

Forced Redesig doesn't happen at OCS.
Only "forced" thing I saw was a BDCP guy get kicked out of OCS, and shipped to boot camp...but that's part of the contract.

I was (and saw a few other) NAMI Whammies. None were FORCED to continue, and a few actually did opt to go home.

I was just asked if I wanted to stay on, and whether I'd prefer SWO or Supply.

OCS staff would probably know better, but I'd expect a lot plays into the decision of whether or not they'll offer you a spot in another designator, mainly stuff R1 already mentioned.
If you're NAMI Whammied, but otherwise a strong candidate, they're probably more inclined to work for you (they have to call up BUPERS and see whether or not they have a spot in another designator).

Be aware available designators for the switch once at OCS may be limited. For example, Nuke and Intel both require stuff above and beyond what a SNA/SNFO applicant would have in their records, and there won't be enough time to take care of that stuff like the Nuke Interview or SSBI.
This is everything I wanted to know. hopefully they still keep a few SWO slots in their back pocket for situations like this even with their over staffing last year. on the bright side.... next fiscal year will be right around the corner by the time I ship.

exNavyOffRec

This is everything I wanted to know. hopefully they still keep a few SWO slots in their back pocket for situations like this even with their over staffing last year. on the bright side.... next fiscal year will be right around the corner by the time I ship.

Remember that the people taking FY 17 spots start going to OCS in late July.

SWOMan

Remember that the people taking FY 17 spots start going to OCS in late July.
understood. Which basically means i'm already considered a FY 17 slot.... seeing as July starts in 3 days, and i'm yet to get my orders. Unless you are suggesting navy is gonna start recruiting FY 18 during this pending October board, and that everything is full already for the next year. I'm just trying to make sure I know what to expect in the case my eye sight is no good during the day of Nami. Thanks for the help.