• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forced REDES to SWO?

Jermaine

Hello,

Is it possible or likely to be forced to redes to SWO if you go through OCS for your commission?

Reasons for forced redes would be NAMI Whammie, Flight attrite (IFS/API/Primary/FRS), DOR, etc.?

From the threads I have read it seems that for OCS grads you will be separated from the USN, with a small possibility of being able to redes to a more desirable community (such as Intel). I am curious if the USN would, against the Ensign's will, force him to redes to SWO under any of the aforementioned circumstances? Or would you always have the option of separating from the USN if you are unable to get one of your desired communities.

Thank you,
-Jermaine

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never heard of invol redes if you don't owe the Navy time or money (i.e., academy or ROTC). That's the genesis of the "guaranteed pilot slot if you go OCS" myth. It's not a guarantee so much as a Hobson's choice.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
From what I've heard, you need to make a BIG PLEA to make the switch to SWO, yet alone any other designator. Best bet is to work with your CoC, in particular admin who handles redes packages fairly often.

exNavyOffRec

Hello,

Is it possible or likely to be forced to redes to SWO if you go through OCS for your commission?

Reasons for forced redes would be NAMI Whammie, Flight attrite (IFS/API/Primary/FRS), DOR, etc.?

From the threads I have read it seems that for OCS grads you will be separated from the USN, with a small possibility of being able to redes to a more desirable community (such as Intel). I am curious if the USN would, against the Ensign's will, force him to redes to SWO under any of the aforementioned circumstances? Or would you always have the option of separating from the USN if you are unable to get one of your desired communities.

Thank you,
-Jermaine

It isn't just OCS grads that can be separated, I saw NROTC and USNA grads that failed flight school come through my NRD on their way out of the USN.

Jermaine

So by the sound of it if I want to be separated then I will be able to, correct?

Do you see this being the case a year+ from now when it would potentially be an issue for me?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So by the sound of it if I want to be separated then I will be able to, correct?

Do you see this being the case a year+ from now when it would potentially be an issue for me?
Probably not likely to change in a year. But if that is a deal breaker for you think carefully. Through the 70s and 80's and I believe into the 90's, you were NOT sent home if you failed to complete flight school. You were retained, and usually as a SWO.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I am curious if the USN would, against the Ensign's will, force him to redes to SWO under any of the aforementioned circumstances? Or would you always have the option of separating from the USN if you are unable to get one of your desired communities.

The horror . . .

From what I've heard, you need to make a BIG PLEA to make the switch to SWO, yet alone any other designator.
Again . . . the horror . . .

Renegade One

None

Dude…you need to seriously "up your game" in the power of positive thinking department. Quit trying to pre-plan your post-attrite outcomes.

But rest easy…the SWO community is NOT going to take you kicking and screaming into their proud war fighting community.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The SWO community no longer wants the "Fallen Angels" unless they can demonstrate how they can contribute as both an officer and SWO. Few folks mentioned it before, focus on flight school and not the attrition part.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The SWO community no longer wants the "Fallen Angels" unless they can demonstrate how they can contribute as both an officer and SWO. Few folks mentioned it before, focus on flight school and not the attrition part.

What about if it happens during OCS? If I get the whammy, I would definitely be interested in staying in as a SWO or Intel.

SWOMan

What about if it happens during OCS? If I get the whammy, I would definitely be interested in staying in as a SWO or Intel.
On the same thought. Would hate to have to go home just as the journey is getting started, especially with no back up plan.

SWOMan

That's kinda what I expected. At least I'll be looking good in a van down by the river from all that ocs training. Could be like the next magic mike situation haha