• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Force Shaping

S1RECON

Does anyone have any info on the Navy's manning plans for the future? Are they still downsizing like they were in 2004? How many new pilots are they training now a days?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have any info on the Navy's manning plans for the future? Are they still downsizing like they were in 2004? How many new pilots are they training now a days?

I agree with phrog73. What's your background? Are you looking to apply? Tell us a little more about yourself so we can give you an answer relevant to your situation.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Okay. Dumb ensign here, but why is this fishy? To be honest, I am kinda curious too. I try to keep track of the trends in the navy WRT manning, and the aviation community as a whole, but an insider's view is always better, and chances are that someone on this forum is an "insider."

With all the talk about the newer "softer" Navy, and the real focus of money and manpower towards the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, it seems understandable to be curious about the future manning requirements of the service.

Is there some kind of clearance required to know this information? What am I missing here that's triggering the "fishy" sense? :confused:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's a matter of where the OP is in the process. The Navy/MC are putting more SNAs through the pipeline right now, so if he's applying, it's a good time. But if he's coming up for DH (on the Navy side), then things are harder to come by. That's why they want to know more details.

Referencing 2004 is misleading. They didn't cut pilot slots or pilots in 2004, they just made getting through the initial stages of the pipeline (read: API) harder because flight school in general was so backed up w/ Ivan, hail, and god knows what else.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I was just a freshman in college, but wasn't '04 a bad year for navy manning in general? There were several seniors in my NROTC who were offered IRR commissions, as opposed to active URL commissions.

I just thought that by posting in the "Questions about becoming a Naval Officer" section it was kinda apparent where this guy was in the process. Again.. dumb ensign...:D

BackOrdered

Contributor
I was just a freshman in college, but wasn't '04 a bad year for navy manning in general? There were several seniors in my NROTC who were offered IRR commissions, as opposed to active URL commissions.

I just thought that by posting in the "Questions about becoming a Naval Officer" section it was kinda apparent where this guy was in the process. Again.. dumb ensign...:D

The guys on this site and others are worried about OPSEC, which is understandable.

Navy manning in general? My understanding now is yes, they were tightening their belts in 2004 and if you weren't extraordinary, don't hold your breath. I was a freshman in 2004, and it appeared much harder then than it is now.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The guys on this site and others are worried about OPSEC, which is understandable.

Navy manning in general? My understanding now is yes, they were tightening their belts in 2004 and if you weren't extraordinary, don't hold your breath. I was a freshman in 2004, and it appeared much harder then than it is now.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with OPSEC - whatsoever.

Brett

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
A freshman in 2004? God, I feel old.

I won't be submitting my application and going through interviews until another year but I also worry that requirement goals will be different in a year. I may be wrong but that is how I read the original post.

phrogpilot73

Yeah, I smelled fish but not because of OPSEC. He has sparse details in his profile, and his first ever post is asking about manning, comparing it to 2004. The fish I think I may smell is troll-scented fish...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Don't kid yourself, there were still ordinary performers, and turds that made it in 2004.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Don't kid yourself, there were still ordinary performers, and turds that made it in 2004.

Of course. But I remember hearing talk of downsizing SWO manning levels, thus less NROTC scholarships to go around in 2004. Soul searching and a little talk with my recruiter made me go supply through OCS, but was there any truth to that?

S1RECON

You are all right! This was an OPSEC mission to see if I could uncover any info that would otherwise be classified. Great detective work. Actually Im just 'fishing' for info that may help me determine scholarship availability. I had a buddy who had some problems in 2004 so asking about the Navy's overall manning plans is actually a very relevent question against which to gauge my 'chances' of making it down my preferred pipeline. i.e. pilot. What is the insiders view right now?