• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For Sale!

mo7stanley

If the pilot had a contract with Delta then he should sue delta for breach of contract. If you don't get into aviation for the love of aviation then you don't have any business in that business. People should not rely on others for there retirement. When life deals you a blow you don't whine about it and try to get people to give you donations, you get out there and make it happen for yourself. As long as this guy is moaning about not getting his pension he will keep needing donations. Take some personal responsibility!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Punk said:
Let me summarize your argument: I'm owed that money so I'll be damned if I gotta give it up.

All the extra sacrifices airline pilots make, wow. You guys do believe your own press.

Let me say this again, everyone is having to make a sacrifice, you guys are not different.
No, my argument is that my sacrifices should not be bigger than anyone else's in the company. I'm not talking dollar amounts, I'm talking percent of income (although the dollar amounts are significantly larger too). Pilots industry wide are taking a bigger percentage hit than the other employee groups. And it's not my own press I believe, it's the reality I've lived for the last 4 years. If we are no different, than we should not be giving up (as a group) as much as we already have. The other employee groups need to pony up more before the pilots give again.

Punk said:
Everyone in the airline is getting screwed. And its because of the management. I'm just tired of hearing how much a huge sacrifice the pilots are making for the good of the company when everyone else is making the same sacrifice.
The pilots are making bigger sacrifices yet the company's actively try to forward the perception that the pilots are doing less. It's pure B.S. Again, if you look at the percentages of income, the pilots have given up a larger percentage already. It's all out there if you are willing to do the research instead of just listening to the companies piss and moan to the press. You've obviously bought into the company's' propaganda.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
HAL Pilot said:
You've obviously bought into the company's' propaganda.

oh, not the company's propaganda

Both of my parents have taken around a 30% paycut, the pilots are taking a 32.5%. So I'll give you that its higher. But Delta pilots were the highest paid in the business, now they're back down with the rest of the industry. Medical and all that, same cuts.

Look what United did, they cashed out their pension plan. Not very nice. Not trying to defend Delta here by any means, but they are trying to avoid that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HAL's got most of this right, ..... "IMHO" (??) .... some of you guys really don't have a clue regarding what you're talking about.

Glad I stayed out of this one ..... BTW, somewhere, over the rainbow, some homeless guy was wearing my old F/O uniform as a result of a Goodwill donation --- 15 years ago. I hope he got some respect .... :) ... and maybe a pension, too.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
standard union response "management fucking it up", a favorite of mine

realize when you point your finger at somebody else to make excuses, you have three fingers pointing at yourself

i've worked for two different unions in my prior life, second favorite qoute at my teamsters job i had was "slow down you get paid be the hour" ... LOL

i chuckle, and kinda feel sorry, as these huge unionized companies throughout America are falling apart ("because of management")

anyways ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(note: copied from another thread because it "fits" herein)

Some of you just make one tired with the repeated, promiscuous displays of your ignorance. This is just one incident out of many .... and the list goes on today. What's YOUR ass worth (or your family's??) when you get on board that commercial jetliner ???

... ALOHA Flight 243 ... do you think that THESE pilots rate their pension(s) ???

Pensions: you know; that "dirty" word that reprents the retirement that was promised to the pilots for decades of loyal service in exchange for something else that they gave up ??? It ain't "free" money, boys. It's been "paid" for, over and over again ....

Some of you are really first class idiots ..... and you know who I mean .... I knew guys like you in the Navy. Every time someone else got a "good" deal and "you" didn't ..... you got bent out of shape.

Bottom line: you are envious and as a result you become a loser. But hark: reassurance is nigh: you probably always have been and you probably always will be .... a loser.

.... Cheers.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Some of you just make one tired with the repeated, promiscuous displays of your ignorance.
Promiscuous ignorance. Now that's the best thing I've heard all week!:D That could be applied to a lot of threads around here.

Brett

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Mefesto said:
A4's is becoming a bitter AW poster... the transformation is almost complete. And he actually used the phrase "loser!"

it's like poking a bear with a stick

everyone loves a martyr

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
A4sForever said:
2433mo.jpg
[/URL][/I][/B]

... ALOHA Flight 243 ... do you think that THESE pilots rate their pension(s) ???
/SIZE][/I][/B]

yes they do

so do the flight attendants, especially the one that fell to her death

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i figured my post wouldn't go over well with the unionites around here. maybe the truth hurts, dunno. i am ignorant as to the airline situation because, well, in the grand scheme of my life, i could give a shіt about it. i have no intention of going to the airlines when i'm done flying fighters for the Corps, that has never been my life-long dream. maybe you are right A4, i'm an idiot? definitely not envious though. i could care less about taxiing people around the country/world. that's not my style, even for the cash. and why would i be envious anyways? i'm pretty happy with my current job, i'm thinking there are airline pilots envious of me, since i didn't have to pay $$ for my flying lessons and i'm probably make more $$ than them?

hmm, come to think of it though, i am a little bit envious of airliner pilots, they can go above FL280 and i can't

my comment was just generalizing unions and what they do to a company. 100 years ago unions, IMO, were needed. these days they are driving business overseas. again, my opinion (i don't have the time nor energy to debate anybody about my opinion, so just do as A4 did, call me ignorant & an idiot and we'll call it even.)

storytime ... i had already left the company for the Corps, but in the late 90's i watched my friends go on strike in the name of "teamsters" and the only thing they got out of it was no paycheck from this company for 3 weeks, a 5¢ per hour pay increase, and higher dues to the union, LOL. the only people who made anything from it were the teamsters and the senior workers of the company, and the company offset those costs by raising prices for their service! LOL

i do feel sorry for people loosing their job though, and i do believe it's criminal to watch these companies shut down, pensions reduced, while the CEO's make bank. i just believe that unions are just as much at fault as management, and people need to quit pointing fingers. if you don't like what management does, go start your own company ...

as for being a first class idiot A4, na, i'm an idiot on occasion, more often than not probably, but not a first class one like you discribed. with all the bad deals going on in the Corps these days, i'm happy for anybody who can scam a good deal, they're few and far between. these days, a good deal for a Marine is an IA billet that doesn't land you in the Al Anbar Province.

S/F

A4sForever said:

Some of you just make one tired with the repeated, promiscuous displays of your ignorance. This is just one incident out of many .... and the list goes on today. What's YOUR ass worth (or your family's??) when you get on board that commercial jetliner ???

ALOHA Flight 243 ... do you think that THESE pilots rate their pension(s) ???

Pensions: you know; that "dirty" word that reprents the retirement that was promised to the pilots for decades of loyal service in exchange for something else that they gave up ??? It ain't "free" money, boys. It's been "paid" for, over and over again ....

Some of you are really first class idiots ..... and you know who I mean .... I knew guys like you in the Navy. Every time someone else got a "good" deal and "you" didn't ..... you got bent out of shape.

Bottom line: you are envious and as a result you become a loser. But hark: reassurance is nigh: you probably always have been and you probably always will be .... a loser.

.... Cheers.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Mefesto said:
What amazes me more is that there arn't laws against gutting the penions of your loyal employees. I'm surprised someone with nothing more to lose hasn't snapped and gunned down a CEO, CFO, etc. Yet mgmt. can still find ways to give them selves multi million dollar bonuses.
Where do you think political contributions come from?:)

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
A4sForever said:

.... Cheers.
As I recall three months after praising that pilot's skill and experience he was forced to retire because of mandatory age restrictions. I wonder if his pension is intact?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Hell yes it is (provided the airline is still intact, I don't remember who it was).. mandatory age retirement just means he hit age sixty and is no longer allowed to fly under part 121.
Not quite .... the pensions can be folded at any time (doesn't matter how long you've been retired) and your retirement dumped on the PBGC ... i.e., the taxpayer. ALOHA Airlines was the one in question .... and they are trying as we discuss this to "dump" their pension liabilities "in order to emerge from Chapter 11" .... and the execs want a huge personal bonus at the end of bankruptcy proceedings to "thank" them for their sterling job of saving the company ..... :)

And Jarhead .... I don't think you're an idiot, first class or otherwise. I remember a great discussion we had re: your ACM tape. Good stuff. You're a Marine Aviator and an F-18 driver to boot. A tip of the hat to you --- wish I could still do it.

ALPA is "different" from other unions in that we are true professionals AND YET we're scrutinized by the FEDs and others to a greater extent than ANY other group of professionals in the country. We screw up --- we lose our job. We screw up --- we kill people and ourselves. Not so with most other ... "unions". Even so ... the airline pilot ranks and ALPA still have their fair share of egotistical, power-hungry, self-serving, agenda-driven jerks --- it's the same with every profession, even Naval/Marine Air. :) Or do I exaggerate ???

ALPA is not the problem with the airlines, as much as some of you with little/no airline experience have a hard time grasping. I used to hate the unions --- all unions. Then I got hired by the airlines and saw the whole picture. In some cases, ALPA has been a major player in being the SOLUTION to various and sundry airline's ills ....

You boys need to quit being knee-jerk, reactionary, anti-union zealots. When you go there --- you become ignorant. Taken as a whole --- ALPA's different. And I'm not talking about the whiny wives and next year's Mercedes, either ..... :)

And as far as the "I'm not going into the airlines" stuff ..... don't ever say never. It's easy to say when the airlines aren't hiring, but you don't know what the situation will be years from now. Son't burn your bridges, mentally or otherwise. You don't know what YOU'll be doing years from now .... you don't know what you'll be doing tomorrow, truth be known. Keep your head above water and keep all your options open .... to do otherwise might be considered .... idiotic??? :)