• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For Sale!

saltpeter

Delta Captains Uniform removed from Ebay
Ebay recently pulled a listing that a Delta Air Lines Captain had placed
on the auction site. Up for sale? Captain Wendall Lewis's Captain's
uniform. After Lewis saw his monthly pension of $6500 slashed by 73%, he
decided to make a statement.

And here was his statement:

AUTHENTIC Delta Air Lines Captain Pilot Uniform This uniform was
worn by a dedicated Delta Pilot for many years. Now retired and robbed
of part, or all, of promised pension, uniform is now offered for sale to
supplement income. Suit is worn and empty but filled with memories and
honor. Suit has been across many miles and many experiences. Suit was
once filled with pride and service getting thousands of passengers to
their destination safely. Suit has been through rain, snow, ice, and
wind without a single tear or scratch. Suit once controlled
multi-million dollar assets, flown throughout the world, with billions
of dollars of liability to the company. Suit has never cost company one
(1) cent in accident or injury.

Although the suit is worn and has been discarded by the company, it
can be yours. Suit is clean but used. Coat may be soiled from hydraulic
fluid or grease as plane was inspected. Shirt may be soiled from mad
dashes through the airport in a rush to the next plane in an effort to
get back on schedule. Tie may have stains from fast food meals that were
hurriedly eaten while at the controls.

Tie comes with your choice of pins, Air Line Pilots Association, Air
Force, or Airplane. Pants may show signs of wear from may hours spent
strapped into a seat, hip shows some signs of wear from firearm used to
protect you and your passengers from harm. Shoes are shiny but worn.
Suit comes with choice of Old Delta or New Delta emblems. Many prefer
the Old Delta.

Suit is thought by many to have APHRODISIAC qualities, although this
cannot be confirmed or denied.

BEWARE putting on this suit can have adverse effects on your life.
It can cause you to miss your children's birth. It can cause you to miss
holiday reunions, family times, and weekends. You may miss your
Daughter's prom and your Son's graduation. Your family may think
Christmas is not always on December 25th. Your wife will have to learn
to be a single parent when you are gone for days. The suit can cause you
to miss entire nights of sleep or get up at 3 AM to meet your next
schedule. Your neighbors may be jealous of you and think you do not
deserve to wear the uniform or be compensated for your work. Originally
suit required a four year college degree and an internship of 5-10 years
in the military, and another 10-15 years for the fourth stripe. Suit
comes with a promise of a pension if you provide years of dedication and
service. THE PROMISE MAY BE AS EMPTY AS THE SUIT. Now it can be had for
the highest bid. Good Luck bidding.

saltpeter

I've decided to place my own ad:

FO wasted away until he couldn't be found from overwork and the inability to buy decent food; we think he might still be in one of the pockets somewhere, if you can find him...

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i hate ebay's BS and their unjustified listing removals. and paypal sucks too. unfortunately they're the only good source to get rid of my junk on the net for a good price. I feel bad for the Delta Captain.

spec05v

Waiting...
A friend of my father recently retired from Delta. He mortgaged a large home outside of LA. The last I heard he was living in a small apartment and renting his new home.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
While its sucks to lose your pension, and i feel bad for the guy in that regard (somehow it should be illegal to do that to someone), i think he was a little overdramitic when referring to how "hard" the life of an airline pilot is. These guys work 2 weeks a month and get paid like crazy, give me a break.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
illinijoe05 said:
While its sucks to lose your pension, and i feel bad for the guy in that regard (somehow it should be illegal to do that to someone), i think he was a little overdramitic when referring to how "hard" the life of an airline pilot is. These guys work 2 weeks a month and get paid like crazy, give me a break.

Well but you have to feel bad for him, its not like he picked that career...ok, wait he did...still sucks that it happened but I guess that is why planners always say to never rely on someone else for retirement...

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The fact that this man worked his entire career relying on this pension that was guaranteed by his employer only to have it taken when he is layed off is wrong. Back when this guy was in the middle of his career they didn't have to worry about losing pensions like that. I empathize with him and all others in his position.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
I have ZERO sympathy for Delta pilots. I'm from Peachtree City, aka Delta pilot central, and most Delta pilots think they shit golden bricks and should be treated like royalty. Most live well beyond their means, $400-600k houses, brand new BMW and/or Mercedes every year, etc. Everyone else in Delta took huge paycuts, but the pilots, with the help of ALPA, wouldn't budge. Thankfully, their contracts were renegotiated and now still earn above the industry standard, just not the high salaries they used to.

My mom is a flight attendant for the past 30 years. Unlike the pilots, she's on her feet for most of the 8-10 hour flight dealing with asshole passengers. I make more than she does, and I've only been in the Navy 3 years. Its silly. Of course, she was one of the first to have to take the huge paycut while the pilots bitched and moaned how they wouldn't be able to afford their summer home now.

Its time those pilots woke up to reality and realized their not brain surgeons, curing cancer, etc and came down back to the normal working man.

/rant

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I'm not arguing the lifestyle of Delta pilots. What I have a problem with is people reaching retirement age and suddenly losing their pensions because the company is in financial trouble or bankrupt.

GM retirees are very worried about losing their pensions and medical benefits as well. The large majority of those guys don't have summer homes and live modestly.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
DocT said:
I'm not arguing the lifestyle of Delta pilots. What I have a problem with is people reaching retirement age and suddenly losing their pensions because the company is in financial trouble or bankrupt.

GM retirees are very worried about losing their pensions and medical benefits as well. The large majority of those guys don't have summer homes and live modestly.

Trust me, Delta is not the first airline for this to happen to (Pan Am, Eastern are the two biggest shining examples). Most have been living in a fantasy world thinking this could never happen to them. Everyone lost their pensions when the previously mentioned airlines went under. What's happening in Delta is nothing new.

GM is a different ball of wax.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Mefesto said:
What amazes me more is that there arn't laws against gutting the penions of your loyal employees. I'm surprised someone with nothing more to lose hasn't snapped and gunned down a CEO, CFO, etc. Yet mgmt. can still find ways to give them selves multi million dollar bonuses.

Tell me about it. Right before Pan Am went under, they cashed in everyone's pensions to try to keep the airline afloat. Of course, they didn't and all the employee's lost everything. Criminal

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
illinijoe05 said:
i think he was a little overdramitic when referring to how "hard" the life of an airline pilot is. These guys work 2 weeks a month and get paid like crazy, give me a break.
You haven't a fvcking clue. Get your head out of your ass and do a little research before you open your pie hole.

Those two weeks are usually two weeks away from home. And normally only the senior guys get that light of a schedule.

Before I was furloughed, I flew 85 to 95 hours a month working 17 to 20 days. I averaged 320 to 360 hours of duty time per month - which equates to around around 80 to 85 hour work weeks. Yes this included rest periods on layovers but I wasn't at home. I wasn't with my daughter, I wasn't helping her with her school, I wasn't going to her dance recitals, I wasn't going to her soccer games, etc.

Paid like crazy? My first year as an airline pilot I had a $14,000/year salary. Most regional FOs start between $18k and $22k/year. Most regional Captains make $50k - $70k/year. Most major FOs start around $35k/year. Junior major Captains make $100k/year. Very few make the $150k - $200K salaries everyone believes. Shit, when I got furloughed from Hawaiian, I could have gotten hired at a regional. Why didn't I? Because unemployment and Wal Mart both paid more! Plus they gave me a better quality of life.

I made more as an active duty O4 with flight pay than I have yet to make flying for an airline.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Punk said:
I have ZERO sympathy for Delta pilots. I'm from Peachtree City, aka Delta pilot central, and most Delta pilots think they shit golden bricks and should be treated like royalty. Most live well beyond their means, $400-600k houses, brand new BMW and/or Mercedes every year, etc. Everyone else in Delta took huge pay cuts, but the pilots, with the help of ALPA, wouldn't budge. Thankfully, their contracts were renegotiated and now still earn above the industry standard, just not the high salaries they used to.

My mom is a flight attendant for the past 30 years. Unlike the pilots, she's on her feet for most of the 8-10 hour flight dealing with asshole passengers. I make more than she does, and I've only been in the Navy 3 years. Its silly. Of course, she was one of the first to have to take the huge pay cut while the pilots bitched and moaned how they wouldn't be able to afford their summer home now.

Its time those pilots woke up to reality and realized their not brain surgeons, curing cancer, etc and came down back to the normal working man.

/rant
Your Mom has no one to blame but her self and her fellow flight attendants for this. They could have unionized but choose not too. Without a union, they put themselves at the mercy of management.

The FAs complained to the management at Hawaiian about their pay compared to pilots. They said that the pilots pay should come down while their pay should go up. Managements response? Of the concessions company wide, the pilot who make up 8% of the workforce gave 57% of the concessions. Plus they pointed out that if every FA in the company quit, the airline could train new FAs and be flying the full schedule within the month. If every pilot quit, the company would be 3 months before flying a single flight and at least 2 1/2 years before flying a full schedule.

Guys like me who did not get pilot training in the Navy have typically spent at least $50k+ getting the required licenses and training to qualify for a major airline job. Plus we worked for a number of years for really low wages before getting to a major. Then the first few years at the major were just as lean. Those guys you talk about in Peachtree were the senior guys who after years made Captain. $400k-$600k for a house? That's nothing. The average price for the average worker here in Las Vegas is $350K. In California or Hawaii, $600K might get you a crappy one bedroom condo in a crappy building.

Also, DALPA (Delta pilots union) offered wage cuts and work rule concessions for at least 2 years before Delta management would start to negotiate with them. DALPA's offer wasn't enough management said. So instead of saving $750 million for each of the 2 years DALPA offered, management held out for the $1 billion concession finally arrived at 2 years latter. Seems like Delta threw away $1.5 billion they could have had.

No one should have to give up the retirement they earned and expected as easily and as rampantly as airline management is taking them away now. Were they living beyond their means or did they have the means that ended up being taken away quickly and unjustly?

Want to know something else? Read some of the business and travel magazines. Find out just how many customers have left Delta because of the crappy service and bad attitudes of the FAs. That has to be hurting them in their quest for profits too.

Every other industry except the passenger airlines have raised their prices to adjust for raising fuel cost. FedEx and UPS raised shipping prices, The trucking industry and railroads rasied their prices. The passenger airlines? They cut theirs....to attract more cuistomers management claimed. In many cases, the prices were cut to the extent that even if it was a 100% full airplane, the flight was still a money loser. Managements response? Cut wages and benefits. It hasn't been until this year that passenger airlines finally started raising their prices instead of making their empolyees pay for the flying publics tickets. Oh, and let's not forget that airline ticket taxes rose from about 10% of the ticket price to about 24% of the ticket price. Did the passengers pay these new taxes? No - management keep the overall price the same and went after the employees pay. Why should the pilots accept this?

I'm sorry for your Mom Punk, But FAs are not skilled labor and by not unionizing, they left themselves open. That's not the pilots fault although Delta management has been able to convince the rest of the company it is.

You need to learn more about the airlines and the sacrifices all airline employees have made before "ranting". Then do a little more research and you will learn that although the pilots are the fewest in number, they have taken a significant majority of the pay cuts and concessions. Far more than any other work group in the industry.

How would you like it at the end of your military career Congress decided that the military retirement system was too expensive? What if they decided to end it and said sorry - you are too old to stay in the military but we're not giving you your retirement anymore? Or say they decide the EA-18 cost are going too high so they'll just cut military pay 15% to 20% accross the board to pay for it? Need to finance the war in Iraq? Let's cancel the FY 2006 military pay raise, cancel all the military retirments and give the military a 22% pay cut. It's the same thing that the airlines are doing to all their employees - but more so to the pilots thanthe others.

Hows that for a rant?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
How about next time you do a little research?

cavemen.jpg

hopefully put some humor into this thread