• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For my rotor bretheren

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
And to add more - when will our aircraft actually be able to utilize GPS to navigate the airways / shoot approaches like the rest of aviation does?

Needs to have the points incapable of alteration by the user + incorporation with the smart heads + flight testing. Not to mention negotiating the costs of the updates.

KBayDog

Needs to have the points incapable of alteration by the user + incorporation with the smart heads + flight testing. Not to mention negotiating the costs of the updates.

= Much less than the cost of one aircraft/crew lost as a result of scud-running due to incompatible radio nav equipment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I cant imagine that .50 MBG would cause much suffering... Based on the ballistic gels I've seen from 5.56 I would tend to believe that the smaller ammunition has the potential to leave someone bleeding out for hours, as opposed to a 600 grain grain bullet moving 3500 fps which is near instant death.

You may be surprised how much suffering a well/mis-placed .50 cal round can do. And there was definitely bleeding for hours.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd also add weather radar and moving map (maybe incorporated into one display like google maps on my phone) to the list of SA builders that all helos should have. You know what else would be sweet? Some wide FOV NVDs. Or maybe a HUD that can display FLIR imagery on it. Or a helmet that has all this stuff incorporated into it.

In USN/USMC circles, if you ever get the chance to hear a particular USNTPS instructor talk, you owe it to yourself as a professional aviator to go and listen. He's got good, smart things to say about helos. I recently saw him give a presentation on high level ops that was amazing.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
I'd also add weather radar and moving map (maybe incorporated into one display like google maps on my phone) to the list of SA builders that all helos should have. You know what else would be sweet? Some wide FOV NVDs. Or maybe a HUD that can display FLIR imagery on it. Or a helmet that has all this stuff incorporated into it.

In USN/USMC circles, if you ever get the chance to hear a particular USNTPS instructor talk, you owe it to yourself as a professional aviator to go and listen. He's got good, smart things to say about helos. I recently saw him give a presentation on high level ops that was amazing.
And who would that instructor be?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes legally. As long as we load the dafif before the flight. It goes through our CDNU. AN/ASN-163 MAGR 2000 reciever

Wait, what?

Per the FAR/AIM and OPNAV you can't legally shoot GPS approaches with a pilot-editable database. The approach has to be pre-programmed into the system and selectable as a whole. Anyone with a GPS can load the waypoints and create a SEQ/NSEQ string of the approach and fly it in an tightened approach mode, but that doesn't mean it's "legal."

/just did IGS today
//the new online TACAIR one
///PAINFUL

teabag53

pilot
^^^That's where I was going. It would be sweet if you could have one box do both for made-up-but-better-than-nothing FOB/COP approaches on deployment and lunch/training runs back home.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Wait, what?

Per the FAR/AIM and OPNAV you can't legally shoot GPS approaches with a pilot-editable database. The approach has to be pre-programmed into the system and selectable as a whole. Anyone with a GPS can load the waypoints and create a SEQ/NSEQ string of the approach and fly it in an tightened approach mode, but that doesn't mean it's "legal."

/just did IGS today
///PAINFUL
The MH-53E C-12284/A Control Display Navigation Unit (CDNU) system
provides the control, display, processing and interface capability to meet the requirements of the Chief of Naval
Operations GPS Integration Guidance (GIG) for using the Global Positioning System (GPS) as an external
radio navigation aid within the National Airspace System (NAS). Using deviation, range and bearing displays,
the CDNU provides all navigation and pilot steering functions for the following phases of flight:
• Enroute operations;
• Terminal area operations (both departure and arrival);
• Non-precision approaches (including missed approaches).
The DAFIF data isnt editable by us. We simply take it from the CD's and load it onto our bricks to ensure our GPS waypoints are up to date. To shoot an approach we go to the approach page, select the airport and approach, choose the IAF and it loads all the waupoints for whatever approach we wanted into our current flight plan. We cannot change the position data of the approach waypoints. We can also load user created waypoints (defined in the aircraft while flying) and tactical waypoints (made on PFPS).

KBayDog

/just did IGS today
///PAINFUL

I did the beta version of the rotary one earlier this year, and while it was no picnic, I had no major issues with it. The flexibility of the online version was much, much better than having to plan your month around the once or twice MAG offers IGS. If anything, while it is painful, it actually affords you a full 60 days to complete IGS...not a 60 day period with only a handful of days that you can complete this requirement. Of the myriad of training events we do online, IGS is one of the few that actually makes sense.

Nothing was more frustrating as the NATOPS officer than sending out the 30/60/90 to all of the pilots, and then giving those up for instrument checks within the next 90-120 days a courtesy message asking when they'd like to attend IGS, with weekly follow-ups...only to be continually gaffed off until the 11th hour, at which time you were expected to jump through hoops to make IGS happen for the folks who were "too busy" to take care of a basic expectation of those who have earned Wings.

To those of you still in the training pipeline: Get smart on your basic Aviator/NFO requirements early. While the sexy currency requirements are in the T&R manuals (and whatever the USN/USCG equivalents are), the ones that will ground you are pretty much all in your NATOPS jacket. You need to understand the severe consequences of letting your instrument rating lapse, as well as the "inconvenience" to you and your command of letting your flight physical, NATOPS qual, swim, etc. expire. It is not your command's responsibility to get that stuff knocked out - it is yours. Your command is simply a facilitator/liaison with the appropriate agencies. Finally, be proactive: Realize that the Fleet has neither the time nor the facilities availability that the CNATRA factory enjoys. You sometimes (oftentimes) need to look weeks/months in advance to get a class quota for yourself. Make sure you get signed up, and ensure that you sniv!

/Off my soapbox
//Just realized that my soapbox was actually a liquid soap container, and now I've got a mess to clean up

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The MH-53E C-12284/A Control Display Navigation Unit (CDNU) system
provides the control, display, processing and interface capability to meet the requirements of the Chief of Naval
Operations GPS Integration Guidance (GIG) for using the Global Positioning System (GPS) as an external
radio navigation aid within the National Airspace System (NAS). Using deviation, range and bearing displays,
the CDNU provides all navigation and pilot steering functions for the following phases of flight:
• Enroute operations;
• Terminal area operations (both departure and arrival);
• Non-precision approaches (including missed approaches).
The DAFIF data isnt editable by us. We simply take it from the CD's and load it onto our bricks to ensure our GPS waypoints are up to date. To shoot an approach we go to the approach page, select the airport and approach, choose the IAF and it loads all the waupoints for whatever approach we wanted into our current flight plan. We cannot change the position data of the approach waypoints. We can also load user created waypoints (defined in the aircraft while flying) and tactical waypoints (made on PFPS).

Concur with above. I think it's the only USN a/c with an actual flight clearance / auth to legally file GPS approaches. That capability is hanging on by a thread.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Concur with above. I think it's the only USN a/c with an actual flight clearance / auth to legally file GPS approaches. That capability is hanging on by a thread.
My understanding is that they're working to get the 60R/S RNAV capabilities. The current version of our MPS has uneditable DAFIF points in it and there are some upgrades to our EGIs coming that will allow for RAIM monitoring and all that other stuff you need to be able to shoot a GPS approach.

I still can't believe that the 60R only has a TACAN. I've been relatively spoiled by the 60S and its ILS and VOR. And ADF for when I want to listen to ESPN while doing the water wash.

MasterBates

Yeah. The ILS box was "too heavy" for the R.

DA FUCK? I've flown Cessna 150s with a fucking ILS, and that planes perfromance is affected by if you took a piss before takeoff.