• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

? for jet pilots

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
So I just did a search on this and could not find anything out. I am a huge roller coaster fan and my wife and I were talking today while at Busch Gardens about the rides and this question came up. Does the excitement of roller coasters still exist after you are a jet pilot?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I feel excitement everytime I look at pie that no rollercoaster could match.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Quite possibly the oddest concern ever voiced about going into naval aviation.

Reminds me of the time I was at Busch Gardens in a rollercoaster behind 2 13-14 year-olds. One said,"This is just what it'll be like when I'm a jet pilot!" Okay, sparky.

I'm just a rotorhead, but the "Tower of Terror" at Universal is still pretty good, and I'm used to vertical drops!

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Quite possibly the oddest concern ever voiced about going into naval aviation.

Reminds me of the time I was at Busch Gardens in a rollercoaster behind 2 13-14 year-olds. One said,"This is just what it'll be like when I'm a jet pilot!" Okay, sparky.

I'm just a rotorhead, but the "Tower of Terror" at Universal is still pretty good, and I'm used to vertical drops!

The 'normal' coasters are still fun, but going backwards doing a loop feels pretty weird when you have been doing lots going forward. Plus, you get the wind in your hair and that whole 'open cockpit' feel.

Still fun. . .yes.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ride the thing they call Alpengeist at Busch Gardens.

It has the closest feel to actual ACM that I have felt. Initial pushover and roll at the top is the same as a well executed rudder reversal

Cheers,
G

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
My Father told me that my Grandfather (now deceased) who was a pilot instructor during WW2 said to him that "why should I do those when I can be in the air." I think he was just a little old for coasters by then. He later flew DC-3s for TWA after his service.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
My Father told me that my Grandfather (now deceased) who was a pilot instructor during WW2 said to him that "why should I do those when I can be in the air."

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinkin...although I love coasters as much as the next guy, and generally can't get enough of 'em, I think we all know which 'thrill-seeking ride' most of us would chose had we been given the option. ;)

Good post my friend.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Ride the thing they call Alpengeist at Busch Gardens.

It has the closest feel to actual ACM that I have felt. Initial pushover and roll at the top is the same as a well executed rudder reversal

Cheers,
G

That ride must pull some fairly decent G's because it's the only roller coaster that's ever made my legs feel "tingly"

skim

None
Contributor
Here is an interesting story about my Grandpa from the website
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:LZJarkpt2kEJ:www.rr0.org/tech/aeronautique/appareil/avion/DC3.html+twa+dc-3+pilots+schemel&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

His name was Gerhardt Schemel and remember hearing this story when I was a kid.

50. July 24, 1957 2215L UC Amarillo, Texas

TWA flight 21 from New York to Phoenix at FL180 had reached northern Texas when Captain G. Schemel saw red and green lights suddenly appear ahead of him at his altitude on a collision course. The sky was dark with thin scattered clouds. Although visibility was greater than 15 miles the flight was operating under IFR conditions. According to the CAA report, eight of the passengers and two hostesses on board were thrown into the aisles and suffered minor injuries when he dove 500 feet to avoid hitting the oncoming object. "One elderly lady was thrown against the ceiling, receiving a bad head cut. Seven additional passengers and two hostesses received bad head bumps and bruised hips and legs." (Anon, 1957) The unidentified object quickly passed above his aircraft and out of sight. The Civil Aeronautics Board investigation of this close encounter could locate no military, commercial, or private aircraft an the area at the time. (Anon., Scientists say near collisions may involve space vehicles, UFO Investigator, Vol. 1, No. 2, pg. 9, August - September 1957, Center for UFO Studies, Chicago, Illinois)

skim

None
Contributor
I was wondering where those black helicopters came from....

Lawman

None
So I just did a search on this and could not find anything out. I am a huge roller coaster fan and my wife and I were talking today while at Busch Gardens about the rides and this question came up. Does the excitement of roller coasters still exist after you are a jet pilot?

I like how you didnt ask the Helo bubbas for their opinion on the matter. Maybe you should follow up and exclude the NFO's while your at it. :D

oceanview

My husband is carrier-based and last weekend we were at Kings Dominion in VA and went on the Hypersonic Xtreme Launch Coaster. It is 0-80 in 1.3 seconds (it is the only compressed air coaster in the US). He said the acceleration feel (obviously in reality on a carrier he is being shot with more force and gaining speed at a greater rate) was much more than any cat-shot he has ever gotten. Plus, the coaster also goes nearly straight up after accelerating. Definately a good time :). Here is a pic:

hypersonic02.jpg

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
It takes 1.8 seconds to reach 80;
also, the ride only lasts ~ 20 seconds.

Sweet ride though, but not worth the 2 hr wait in line. :sleep_125