• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For all you Michael Moore fans out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
akamifeldman, you are right that the constitution guarantee’s us a separation of church and state, or a State Sponsored Religion. But, this is not the case with having the 10 Commandments up in a court house. There is a court house in Ga. that they made take down the Big 10, but it was on display with the Magna Carta, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. It was being shown as a historical document. You have to admit that the founding fathers partly based our laws on Judeo-Christian philosophy. There, that word is very important. Philosophy, not Religion.

Just out of curiosity, why are you offended as a Jew? One other thing, there is a county in Tenn. that passed a law that said, They feel that a Christian god is part of their heritage. This is wrong because it sets up a Sponsored religion. Just displaying "In God We Trust" is not sponsored a religion, it's sponsoring EVERY RELIGION.

Ben

Just a disclaimer, I don’t feel that I have the right answer with a capital ‘R’ it’s just my opinion and I think everyone has a right to their own too.

riley

in answer to twidget's response - does it not take just as much faith to believe there is no God? You said, "faith is belief in something without empirical evidence." If it didn't take faith to believe there is no God, then, following your definition of faith, it must mean that it can be proven outright through observation and experience, or experiments (like gravity). If it can be proven, then a lot of people around the world are morons for believing there is no gravity. (Probably a simple argument, but it is early and I am just waking up - I'll find the holes in it later on and patch it up - my only point for the above paragraph is that it takes faith to be an atheist.)

Scientific "proof" as we know it is very limiting - the scientific method cannot tell you that Abraham Lincoln was President of the U.S. during the Civil War and that, on this day in 1863, gave what is now known as the Gettysburg address. So, how do you go about it? I won't fill up space here - but two good books to read are "More Than a Carpenter" by Josh McDowell (this book focuses more on Christ) and "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis (this book focuses more on the existence of God)- both are good examples of rational argument for a higher being.

Christianity is the only religion that acknowledges humans are evil and cannot achieve eternal life through their own works (if there is another out there - someone let me know).

About the whole separation of Church and State - my own opinion is that the Government, courts, and lawmakers have taken it too far - especially with the Ten Commandments - it is the basis of our moral and judicial system.

Brooke

There are some really great arguments being made here!!!

As NeoCortex stated, this country was founded on the Judeo-Christian philosophy. I believe in God and I am a Christian, however looking throughout history, I am of the opionion that the statements "In God We Trust" as well as "One nation under God" are not used to force religion down ones throat. I firmly believe that God is used as a symbol for a myriad of things, i.e safety, morality, peace, compassion, ethics, proper behavior, etc. God is a "word" (as someone previously posted) that should encompass a variety of beliefs and meanings. Although few of us can agree on a certain religion or ideology, many of us can agree on the desire to live by codes of conduct, keep our country safe, and to overall have a "good should overcome evil" mentality.

My point is this. We are losing focus on the big picture; meaning the lines of right vs wrong are becoming extremely blury, credibilty and accountability are getting to be unheard of, and in the attempt of being PC many are choosing to stand for nothing so as not to offend others. I firmly believe that religion is not being forced, it's there if you believe however participation is not required. Actions such as prayer in school, the 10 commandments being visible in a courthouse, etc are used as a reminder of how to act and that a higher power (whether it be a school administrator, judge, CO, police officer, or the God you believe in) will be holding you accountable for your actions.

NeoCortex

pilot
Riley,
I see what you were getting at about faith. It takes a leap of faith to believe that there is nothing else out there. Twidget, I"m not saying that there is a god out there, but some of the arguments about science and research are a little off. There was a time where "Science" said that the body was made of 4 humors, then they disproved it. No one believed in germs, but they were found. My point is is that science has not found everything, and who knows maybe one day they'll prove god. Alot of higher level physics makes me think that there is somehting more out there, but that's just me.

riley:
Christianity is the only religion that acknowledges humans are evil and cannot achieve eternal life through their own works (if there is another out there - someone let me know).

Riley, I'm confused as to what you were trying to say here. Is this supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing.

Ben

kevin

riley, im once again going to say that christianity (and i would know because i am one and study my religion pretty hard) does NOT say humanity is inherently evil- quite the opposite. when i pm'd you i thought i gave you a pretty good rationale for why that is. the idea of original sin and salvation through the faith alone in the grace of God does not imply inherent evil. equating inherent imperfection and inherent evil is something of a logical fallacy.

"This is wrong because it sets up a Sponsored religion. Just displaying "In God We Trust" is not sponsoring a religion, it's sponsoring EVERY RELIGION." that's a great point, ben.

and i would tend to agree with t-widget (great name, sounds like a rapper) regarding faith and atheism. the argument of atheists kind of supports that very thing. atheists argue that the ten comm and school prayer, etc should be removed because it represents a faith which shouldnt be "pressed" on everyone "else". well that certainly implies that atheism is the "default", if you will, which would also imply that it doesnt take faith, merely a lack of faith.

those lincolnites sounds pretty damn cool.....where can i get a brochure and why arent they knocking around my neighborhood? oh, probably cause i live near the ghetto.

NeoCortex

pilot
T-widget,
I understand where your coming from, I feel that same way, I just took the other route. Instead of not believing with all the lack of evidence, I just 'feel' that there is something out there that is bigger than me. I have all kinds of theories, that I"m not going to go into here, about when that something is, but who knows, maybe I"m wrong. The way I fig. is that if I"m wrong, then no harm no foul, but if I'm right, I get bragging rights later on. What I'm pretty sure of is that the major religions do not have it right. But, I could be wrong about that too.

Ben

riley

Kevin, my apologies, my e-mail address I have listed on here I rarely have the opportunity to read - so I promise to read your e-mail tonight - thank you for taking the time to respond.

My point about Christianity is that it is the only religion that requires a mediator (Christ) to gain eternal life - we cannot get there on our own. Not good or bad, just a statement on what separates Christianity from other religions.

Twidget, you misunderstood my Lincoln analogy. I used that to illustrate that you cannnot prove Lincoln existed scientifically (empirically) - it is, instead, a historical proof. You can prove that Christ existed in the same manner - however, it is when you speak of him as being God that the argument comes into play. My whole point is that you cannot prove or disprove the existence of God through science as we know it (the scientific method) because it is outside of that realm - you have to prove it in other ways.

About humans being evil - let me rephrase it to say that we are "slaves to sin" - taken from the book of Romans - I think, don't know for sure because I don't have my bible with me - I'll expand later. Like everything, a verse can be used out of context and I don't want to do that...

Maybe those words "inherently evil" are a bit strong - I do not mean to use fire and brimstone. I don't mean to be one of those people that thumps a bible over your head. It is simply my world view that people are greedy and selfish. (Our government is founded on this principle - it is why we have checks and balances and three branches). So, I will refrain from using the phrase, "inherently evil" and replace it with greedy and selfish.

Twidget - I don't know what you were getting at in your first question on would you naturally assume there is a god if no book had been written? But, I would say yes. Look at the world around you - pretty much all of the cultures of the world, including indegenious island dwellers, have some sort of belief structure in a higher or supreme beings or being - whether it be the tree, the rock, the ocean, the sun or Jesus Christ. It is a natural tendency in all humans.

I agree with you completely that it takes faith to believe in God. I believe, though, that you can argue there is a God, or a supreme being, in a logical manner and have it supported by rational and valid reasoning. I believe I can give you every valid reason under the stars and defeat every argument you bring against me - however, in the end, just like atheism, it will take your faith to believe there is or isn't a God.

I know you were probably just throwing the comment in there, but your argument about the Vatican is not a valid point. The Vatican is human, like everyone else - you're argument pretty much stated that since Johnny said you could live forever if you jumped off the bridge, you believe him and are going to do it.

Life is no miracle? I beg to differ. Just look at the human body, the eyes, the senses, our brain - we still do not understand the human brain. Go outside - smell the air after a rain, climb a mountain and look to the horizon, hike through the woods and note the smallest of insects - how cynical are you? I would think it depressing, for someone to be born in this world, told it was by complete chance and an accident that they were there, tell them there is no point to anything - love, or honor, or courage, tell them that their death is as insigificant as their birth, and then have them seak meaning for themselves in their lives. No wonder everyone is so mixed up. Tell your wife or girlfriend they are meaningless - see how far that gets you.

(That last paragraph is my own thoughts - not meant to be an argument since it is emotional in structure.)

NeoCortex

pilot
Riley,
I actually have done a lot of brain research, and I can tell you that it's just going to take time before we understand the brain, not to say that the brain isn't amazing. Second, I have a question. Didn't Paul, or John, or someone tell the pope that what ever you make on earth so shall it be in heaven? Wouldn't that mean that if the Pope says Evolution is correct God would have to make it so. But using that argument, Evolution would support God... Great, now I've gone cross eyed.

My point is that you can argue this either way and still end up at exactly the same point, but it's fun argueing it anyway

Ben

riley

Twidget,

I completely understand and agree with your point that "as science continues to uncover more facts about the natural world, religion continues to try to adapt, to try to co-exist with modern understanding." Look at Galileo (probably the most used example - when he proposed that the earth is not the center of the universe). However, I don't want to confuse religion, with what is actually biblical - it was humans that made the idea the earth is the center of the universe (religion) - not the bible.

But there are just as many scientists against evolution as there are for it - it is far from fact and much different than the Galileo example. I'm not Catholic and don't agree with the Vatican on a lot of things, especially the things you paraphrased - but I don't want to wander off on that path.

I guess my main point is that Science proves humans wrong, it hasn't proved the bible wrong. (I'm putting a Christian slant on it because that is the world view I know and am comfortable with - I'm not using it to argue the existence of God)

Neo has a good point - either side can argue until they are blue in the face and it wouldn't matter - but I agree - it is fun and interesting to read other ideas and positions.

Please, everyone - keep the good posts coming....

kevin

wait......................are you guys saying the earth isnt the center?..........WHAT THE ****?!?!?!?!?!?!? WHEN DID THIS **** HAPPEN?!?!?!? i dont care about anything anymore. i guess mom was right when she said the world didnt revolve around me.

riley, no harm...i didnt realize you hadnt read it yet. and actually the "fire-and-brimstone" preaching was more aimed with the idea that humans ARE evil. another good point you make is that we are inclined to believe in God (or at least a higher being). there is growing evidence within the field theology/physiology that humans are "hard-wired" to orient towards God (sorry to those are constantly trying to go against the grain, but not believing in God doesnt make you anymore special).

neocortex: no, the teaching was that whatever is held bound on earth will be held bound in heaven. this was very figurative (any fundamentalists will now attempt to chop my head off) illustrating that the kingdom of God is being fulfilled here and now.

"As one who was raised on religion, I have had a very difficult time embracing the idea that there is no God. It would be much easier to just believe." t-widget (the rap star)...if only that were true. believing that God exists, along with what comes in my faith, can make it very difficult sometimes. ie, there are sometimes i wish i didnt have my strict set of morals on sexuality, lol.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
T-Widget, you make some very good points here, and let me elaborate on a few of them:

Science & The Bible: You're correct, science has succeeded in proving that the Bible (and Torah) are not literal documents. But, the lessons they teach and values they impart are of significance to persons throught time. The details may change, but the morals will remain the same.

Scientists & Religion: There is no huge dividing line among scientists "either you believe in G-d or evolution." I've spoken with my father (PhD in Molecular Biology) numerous times about this very same question. He believes in a higher being and supports evolution (the theory that explains the facts) precisely because he recognizes the Torah as not literal. Evolution is not rejecting religion. Belief in one is not rejection of the other. They are not mutually exclusive. I think Steven J. Gould wrote a book before his death about this same subject, "Rock of Ages," I believe? The truely intelligent scientists can believe in both because they recognize each theory helps to explain part of the universe as we know it.

One thing...one thing being laid out here by twidget is that religions that have been disproven by science by disproving the literal sense of their texts have been definitively disproven. Well, my two cents on the matter are:
(I'll use the Torah/Bible for familiarity's sake)
Imagine you're God. Some higher being. Something trying to explain to a group of people what happened, how they came to be, who you are, etc.
You're eternal, so if, theoretically, the Big Bang was real, the time from Big Bang to human consciousness really could be "7days."
But you need to explain to a group of people that are developing, learning to use rocks to bash animal heads in to kill them, how the universe came into existence. How on earth would you explain to them the concept of neutron stars, atoms, conservation of energy, gravity, etc?
This is, of course, just a theory...but in the face of the fact there is no evidence, I'd say it's just as valid as twidget's idea that religion doesn't exist. Which is proof a higher power cannot be disproven.

Twidget, i also agree with you that many religious documents are ambiguous. In Christianity, in Bible study, people attempt to be inspired through the use of certain verses. I have seen people come up with different messages from the same verse. However, none are to the ridiculous killing is wrong to killing is divine level of contrast. Personally, I'd say the problem stems from those people not being "religious" enough to open up their copy of the Koran and read it with their own thought process rather than have Osama force feed his definition down their throats.

kevin

not to slant to a political debate again, but if you really believe that the whole terrorism/muslim/hate america (key word) is a religious thing and not a political one, id have to argue that youre terribly misguided. religion here is being used as a tool for politics, nothing more. when osama says "Allah demands you take up arms against the great satan" (in public) then offers to pay your family upon your suicide bombing.... well, enough said.

as far as interpreting the bible....saying that science has proved that taking the bible literally is invalid- i would respond by saying "so?". there is only one group (fundemantalists) i know of who take the bible literally, so what's your point? as to the validity of interpretation, that is why (at least the catholic church) relied on the three pillars- scripture, papacy, tradition (started with Christ who began the church). to only use the bible does leave ambiguity on specifics, hence why there are over 3,000 christian churches today. there remains one catholic church partly for this reason. not trying to say who's better, but there's a reason for it. but as far as interpretation, the fundamental truths of the bible have not and will not change.

flynglthrnk

USMC PLC
Moore cupcakes' documentaries are in fact spoofs to anyone who knows anything, but he is certainly not public about it. At my college, people worship Moore cookies' documentaries like they were the purest truth delivered on a golden platter. Check out www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html this site clears it up a little.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Granted, all the Michael Moore discussion seems to have petered out but I figure I'd throw this out. *sound of thread being bumped* There's a crew out making a (hopefully more accurate) film about Michael Moore's so-called documentaries. And yes, it is called "Michael Moore Hates America." Here's the trailer:

http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com/secrettrailer.html

I'll have to see if I can find 2hrs of free time during Primary to go to the theater and laugh at that big fat idiot.
smgreen_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.