• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Obviously, I'm extremely biased. :D

That said, loyalty to my alma mater aside, I think it's still a shitty precedent to disinvite a hypothetical conference champion in favor of another team FROM THEIR DIVISION who they beat head to head. Other teams should be able to get in on the coattails of a conference champion, but not instead of one. You can pontificate all you want, but the record on the field is the record on the field. Elsewise, why bother playing the games? Just have scouts show up to practice and vote on the championship.:rolleyes:

That said, this is purely a hypothetical unless and until our boys get past MSU and Wisconsin. And this is not the same team that knocked off the Bucks; we're down three starting offensive linemen due to injury, and the depth still isn't quite there at that position. Luckily Trace McSorley has the wheels to do something when the pocket collapses, not just sit there and get pounded like Hack did.

At any rate, at this point I'm perfectly happy with however the season goes. Obviously I want PSU to win. But compared with where this team was expected to be in August, and what they showed the first few games, James Franklin is playing with house money right now. A whole pile of it.

Don't follow the BIG-10 that much but thought I would tune in and see who might be Alabama's sacrificial lamb - Michigan got robbed by a lot of questionable officiating. Looks like Penn State is taking care of business - and if the Nittany Lions beat Wisconsin, they deserve the nod over the Buckeyes.

jmcquate

Contributor
I see your point Randy, and with all due respect nittny, there are no automatic playoff bids, just the 4 best teams in the opinions of the collage football gods. The OSU is a better team than PSU.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see your point Randy, and with all due respect nittny, there are no automatic playoff bids, just the 4 best teams in the opinions of the collage football gods. The OSU is a better team than PSU.
Be it us or Wisky in the end . . . want a ticket to the dance? Take care of business in your conference. You don't get to say you won the World Series after scoring more runs than the other guy when you lose 4 games. All bias to my alma mater aside, I think what the committee has come out with recently is a crappy rationale for picking "the best teams." Upsets should mean something. If you lose, your ranking takes a hit; there's no waving a magic wand and saying "oh, well they're still the better team." I get that sometimes you have the Mexican standoff like we have now. OSU squeaked by Michigan, we squeaked by OSU, and Michigan absolutely murdered us. But to say that conference championships don't mean anything is a really crappy road to go down. Ultimately, it's the committee just pulling an Eric Cartman. "Whateva! I do what I want!" Uhh . . . rationale, please?

I can't yell and scream and bitch about it too much, because I'm freaking tickled pink that these kids have pulled off the season that they have; this was supposed to be next year. But for the sake of college football as a whole, I think the committee needs to take a hard look at their stated rationale.

Oh, well. As James Franklin will probably tweet soon, "Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Wisconsin!"

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Another great college football season. Give much credit to our in-state rival, Clemson, winning a wild one against Alabama. Dabo has rebuilt a dormant program that looks to be strong for the foreseeable future. I still hate hearing Tiger Rag, but it was pretty cool to see the state of South Carolina win both NCAA Division I football (Clemson) and Division I baseball (Coastal Carolina.)

Hope 2017 will be as exciting. And I still think with a 4 team playoff, it should be conference champions only - 8 teams would be better.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting sports news from North Carolina. If the NCAA wants to start boycotting states if they do not follow whatever the current politically correct agenda is, Red States may have found a way to fight back.

New North Carolina bill would require UNC, NC State to exit ACC if state is boycotted again

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...quired-withdraw-acc-conference-boycotts-state

Unfortunately for the states the NCAA holds the power in fights like this, it's not like there are other leagues or associations they can play sports in unless they want to create their own and play with themselves.

Wareal

Contributor
We have Alabama vs. Clemson tomorrow night. In the mean time, bear down Chicago Bears!f30104.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
A few years later and nothing much has changed: Alabama and Clemson still at the top. Seems like it would've been an opportune time for a team outside of the Power 5 to be selected to the playoffs (Cincinnati, Coastal, etc) but we are soon to be subjected to another pummeling of Notre Dame while awaiting the main event.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A few years later and nothing much has changed: Alabama and Clemson still at the top. Seems like it would've been an opportune time for a team outside of the Power 5 to be selected to the playoffs (Cincinnati, Coastal, etc) but we are soon to be subjected to another pummeling of Notre Dame while awaiting the main event.
I think the Ohio State selection was just shameful. This year the winner is going to be saddled with a solid asterisk no matter who it is.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I think the Ohio State selection was just shameful. This year the winner is going to be saddled with a solid asterisk no matter who it is.

Not sure about that, Alabama and Clemson are both loaded. If I was to put money down, I would go with Clemson. Dabo has built a monster in the Upstate.

Meanwhile, the Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina are playing some good football. Some said the game against BYU was the best game of the year.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Going to be an interesting year with the announcement of Oklahoma and Texas leaving for the SEC. Meanwhile, the first big weekend has a couple of heavyweights.

VS

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meanwhile, the first big weekend has a couple of heavyweights.
?On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin! Bounce right off that line!
? Run the ball three times a series, punt on fourth and nine (yet again)!
? On, Wisconsin! Poor Wisconsin! Every time's the saa . . . aa . . . me!
? Drink, fellows, drink 'till we for-get! This! Game!