• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
GA just beat Clemson. Bama just murdered a ranked Miami team. Oklahoma just escaped mighty Tulane. Let’s see if they can beat powerhouses like Nebraska and the other favorite in that conference, Iowa St (who just squeaked by a directional school)
Miami, like UNC was vastly over-ranked this season and Clemson is a shell of what it was a year ago. GA’s offense was as lackluster as OU’s defense.

jmcquate

Contributor
Don't sleep on Cincinnati folks. Currently #8, could be 7 on Monday, they play Indiana and Notre Dame and are ranked higher than both.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Miami, like UNC was vastly over-ranked this season and Clemson is a shell of what it was a year ago. GA’s offense was as lackluster as OU’s defense.
So we’ve gone from “only play directional schools” to “top 5 team is super overrated”. Good ole college football. Good luck to Oklahoma navigating their treacherous conference schedule.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
So we’ve gone from “only play directional schools” to “top 5 team is super overrated”. Good ole college football. Good luck to Oklahoma navigating their treacherous conference schedule.
I stand by my statement. We’ll see OU in the final four once again and if they end up moving to the SEC you’ll see them disrupt the power structure there.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I stand by my statement. We’ll see OU in the final four once again and if they end up moving to the SEC you’ll see them disrupt the power structure there.
Well Tulane used to be in the SEC, and OU won a highly competitive game against them. So there’s that.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Well Tulane used to be in the SEC, and OU won a highly competitive game against them. So there’s that.
SEC is two fantastic teams and a bunch of also-rans…pretty much like every other conference.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
SEC is two fantastic teams and a bunch of also-rans…pretty much like every other conference.

Since 2005, there has been only 1 college champion north of South Carolina and west of Louisiana (Ohio in 2014). During that time, 4 different SEC schools won national championships: Alabama, Auburn, Florida and LSU. That doesn’t add in the times it was an SEC school playing another SEC school in the national championship nor does it include the SEC schools that have finished in the Top 5 during that time frame such as Georgia, South Carolina and Texas A&M.

As for Oklahoma and Texas shifting the balance of power, that is most likely if the SEC reforms into two 8 team divisions with Oklahoma and Texas in the West with Alabama and Auburn transferring to the East.

Break.

The mighty Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina are already in the top 20. The Myrtle Beach newspaper last year had a contest to see which player was rockin’ the best mullet. Go Chants!

Last edited:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
You mean the metric the metric that shows the Bama vs OU history at 3 wins for OU and only 2 for Bama (plus 1 tie)? GA has a better record with one victory in one game, but it took three overtime’s to get there.

Metrics are more or less meaningless in year-by-year college football. I have zero doubt that SEC will be present in the football playoffs and wouldn’t care to bet against that team to win it all, but that only goes to prove my point. SEC is a two team conference and the rest are targets for the top two.

BT….

I should add that when we the fans are lucky enough to get a real playoff and are free of the artificial “jock-sniffer” vote the dynamics will be quite different and much better.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You mean the metric the metric that shows the Bama vs OU history at 3 wins for OU and only 2 for Bama (plus 1 tie)? GA has a better record with one victory in one game, but it took three overtime’s to get there.

Metrics are more or less meaningless in year-by-year college football. I have zero doubt that SEC will be present in the football playoffs and wouldn’t care to bet against that team to win it all, but that only goes to prove my point. SEC is a two team conference and the rest are targets for the top two.

BT….

I should add that when we the fans are lucky enough to get a real playoff and are free of the artificial “jock-sniffer” vote the dynamics will be quite different and much better.
Ancient head to head records? Good Lord.

As for expanding the playoff, what’s the point? Teams like Oklahoma prove every year there aren’t more than 2-3 teams actually in the running.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

BT….

Glad to see Oklahoma and Texas join the SEC, they both certainly have long traditions in the college game. Really liked Oklahoma when Barry Switzer was running the wishbone - not really a fan of the spread offense.

Off on a tangent of some old school NFL, have been watching this: https://www.ebay.com/p/3436007

Just finished watching Super Bowl VII: remember Garo Yepremian trying to pass after a blocked field goal?

Last edited:

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Ancient head to head records? Good Lord.

As for expanding the playoff, what’s the point? Teams like Oklahoma prove every year there aren’t more than 2-3 teams actually in the running.
I dig you bro, you may have even flown cover for some ground shit I did In the long war, and I still love the Corps, but you won’t convince me to be a SEC mo…even when OU moves there. ?