• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
ESPN is reporting that the University of Colorado is moving back to the Big 12 after this season.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Goodbye to the PAC-12

Oregon and Washington to the BIG-10. Oregon State and Washington State likely consigned to the Mountain West. Rumor has it the BIG-10 may add Stanford and Notre Dame - or Cal if the Irish don’t agree.

Arizona, Arizona State and Utah will join Colorado in the BIG-12.

Next conference to be dismembered is the ACC….

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Goodbye to the PAC-12

Oregon and Washington to the BIG-10. Oregon State and Washington State likely consigned to the Mountain West. Rumor has it the BIG-10 may add Stanford and Notre Dame - or Cal if the Irish don’t agree.

Arizona, Arizona State and Utah will join Colorado in the BIG-12.

Next conference to be dismembered is the ACC….
Seriously…this is destroying the old regional rivalries that meant so much. I guess by 2030 there will be just two conferences like the NFL.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The SEC

and everyone else.
michael-keaton.gif

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The SEC

and everyone else.
The SEC (as we think of it now) won’t survive this either…something like the “National College Conference” and the “American College Conference.” Much better for beer selling TV rights. Still, I welcome the more robust playoff schedule.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The SEC

and everyone else.
From Tony Kornheiser on ESPN:

As for the ACC, if they are dismembered, who will the SEC take?

1: FSU
2: Clemson
3: North Carolina

After that, for a 4th - and maybe 5th and 6th, I would guess in order of probability:

1: Virginia
2: Miami
3: Duke (for basketball)

Everyone else is effectively consigned to the minor leagues: NC State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and especially Virginia Tech - some schools with good football and great fanbases - unless they get picked up by another conference. Brutal not to have a conference when the music stops.

An old, but great clip, from VA Tech vs Miami: (gotta love having Metallica’s Enter Sandman”)

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
From Tony Kornheiser on ESPN:

As for the ACC, if they are dismembered, who will the SEC take?

1: FSU
2: Clemson
3: North Carolina

After that, for a 4th - and maybe 5th and 6th, I would guess in order of probability:

1: Virginia
2: Miami
3: Duke (for basketball)

Everyone else is effectively consigned to the minor leagues: NC State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and especially Virginia Tech - some schools with good football and great fanbases - unless they get picked up by another conference. Brutal not to have a conference when the music stops.

An old, but great clip, from VA Tech vs Miami: (gotta love having Metallica’s Enter Sandman”)

I agree, which is why the SEC and Big 10 are equally doomed. I’m half joking, but we aren’t far from two meaningless mega-conferences.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree, which is why the SEC and Big 10 are equally doomed. I’m half joking, but we aren’t far from two meaningless mega-conferences.
One difference is that the BIG-10 now spans the breadth of the continent- 4 time zones - from Maryland and New Jersey in the East to California, Oregon and Washington in the West. The SEC is still a contiguous and comparatively compact group in the Southeastern quadrant of the US - from South Carolina to Texas.

Rick Pitino suggested that you have football only conferences for television rights while all other sports could stay in their traditional conferences. That would seem to be an excellent compromise.

MGoBrew11

pilot
The new B1G could end up actually making things more like the old days, especially if they get two more West coast teams. Have two divisions of 10….East vs West. B1G championship becomes what the Rose Bowl used to be. Winner gets the automatic slot in the CFP.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
The new B1G could end up actually making things more like the old days, especially if they get two more West coast teams. Have two divisions of 10….East vs West. B1G championship becomes what the Rose Bowl used to be. Winner gets the automatic slot in the CFP.
… to then be defeated by the team that lost the SEC championship but still got in to the CFP.

This sport is silly.

MGoBrew11

pilot
… to then be defeated by the team that lost the SEC championship but still got in to the CFP.

This sport is silly.
I’ll still watch if Michigan is in. It’s entertaining. Which is all it’s meant to be.

Edit: also, there is an argument to be made that the expanded playoff will increase parity. More teams = more chance for chaos and shifting power dynamics. Also increased exposure for teams outside of the SEC leading to more balanced recruiting.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Edit: also, there is an argument to be made that the expanded playoff will increase parity. More teams = more chance for chaos and shifting power dynamics. Also increased exposure for teams outside of the SEC leading to more balanced recruiting.
This.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I’ll still watch if Michigan is in. It’s entertaining. Which is all it’s meant to be. Edit: also, there is an argument to be made that the expanded playoff will increase parity. More teams = more chance for chaos and shifting power dynamics. Also increased exposure for teams outside of the SEC leading to more balanced recruiting.
Interesting read: the 2 biggest prizes (outside of Notre Dame) are UNC and Virginia due to new television markets. Local politics could force whoever takes UNC to also take NC State, whoever takes Virginia also must accept VA Tech.

The desirability of the big ACC football schools Clemson, FSU and Miami to either the SEC or BIG-10 could be much less than commonly accepted. Too far to travel for the BIG-10, too big a temptation to wither the ACC’s schools recruiting from a SEC perspective.

Meanwhile, a fascinating backstory on the PAC-12. ESPN offered $30M per school (BIG-12 level money) but the PAC-12 demanded SEC/BIG-12 money. ESPN’s response: Goodbye and goodluck.