• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters
Hadn't hear when I turned on the TV. It was maybe 40 minutes after he went down. All the talking heads were doing their thing. Making it all about themselves. How they felt, their experiences , etc. The scroll on the bottom simply stated MNF was canceled. No facts about the incident. I honestly did not know what happened and after watching the TV for about 5-8 minutes without being informed, Mrs Wink picked up her ipad and googled for the story. Fvcking TV news/sports people chap my ass. Self obsessed morons.
In the defense of the talking heads, they were tasked by their higher ups with maintaining live coverage of a sport after a man died (then was resuscitated) on the field. Would be insensitive to talk about any other topic, however there are only so many things you can say without speculating on the cause of the injury. Normally I dismiss just about anything any live commentator says (including in this instance), however in this instance I think they were put in an impossible situation with millions watching their every move, ready to pounce and "cancel" them if any "wrong" words were said

taxi1

pilot
I have never seen CPR performed in a real-life situation, but it defies belief that the NFL told the players "You have five minutes to warm up and get back out there" after dozens of guys watched their teammate receive CPR.
I give everyone some slack that was involved, all the way up the chain. This was in extremis.

People don't realize how much the body jolts when you use an AED. If his teammates were watching...

Notanaviator

Contributor
In the defense of the talking heads, they were tasked by their higher ups with maintaining live coverage of a sport after a man died (then was resuscitated) on the field. Would be insensitive to talk about any other topic, however there are only so many things you can say without speculating on the cause of the injury. Normally I dismiss just about anything any live commentator says (including in this instance), however in this instance I think they were put in an impossible situation with millions watching their every move, ready to pounce and "cancel" them if any "wrong" words were said

Agree with Taxi on this - the talking heads were in a position where they couldn't cut to another game, couldn't talk about anything else going on in the league, couldn't discuss the game up to that point, couldn't discuss what would happen with the game (saw Skip Bayless walk into that buzzsaw probably unfairly), and there were only so many commercials they could cut to. And you also can't livestream the ongoing treatment on the field. Impossible situation.

Edit to add: Agree with csmlydon and Taxi - incorrectly quoted his post rather than @wink.

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
I give everyone some slack that was involved, all the way up the chain. This was in extremis.

People don't realize how much the body jolts when you use an AED. If his teammates were watching...
I saw (on Twitter?) an EMT say something like, "proper CPR administration will often break ribs". Holy shit I don't want to see that happen to my teammate... or the jolt...

I saw (on Twitter?) an EMT say something like, "proper CPR administration will often break ribs". Holy shit I don't want to see that happen to my teammate... or the jolt...
CPR can absolutely break ribs, especially depending on the duration its administered. Watching medical professional try and revive your teammate's lifeless body can't be easy on anyone, let alone when the nation is watching your every move and the cameras are zoomed in on yours and your teammates' shocked and crying faces.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course I understand the position the reporters were in. Maybe if I wasn't already completely fed up with TV talking heads, I wouldn't be so quick to criticize. I don't buy that they had no other recorded programming to cut to. No, producers and execs WANTED to milk the crisis in the allotted time for all it was worth. And in the process failed at their real job. No chyron giving the basic facts (for some time anyway), and very infrequent on air restatements of the facts for those just joining. You "hear" about what happened and the place to go for the best reporting should be ESPN. But if you turn on ESPN you will have to watch professionals shake their heads, repeat over and over how tragic it all is, how it reminds them of their own experience, all the while the chyron rolling below simply says "MNF game canceled" , and you don't know why! If you have nothing to say, cut to other programming we know they have (weather delays anyone) and run a chyron below with the basic facts and refer viewers to their online reporting. There! I am a TV network exec. ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The game will evolve like it always has. 100+ years ago, TR got personally involved when people were getting killed by skull fractures in the leather-helmet era.

Ultimately, though, people want to play rough games and hit each other. John Urschel, who’s now a math prof at MIT, flat-out admitted that he played NFL football because he loved to hit people and be hit. Society needs acceptable and controlled outlets for young male aggression.

We can’t wrap football players in bubble wrap to keep them safe any more than we can aviators. All we can do in both cases is try to keep the risk level down to an acceptably low—but still non-zero—level.

GroundPounder

What you really don't want to see is the " Thumper " It is a mechanical CPR compression machine that they use for extended cpr during transport. I don't have any medical training other than first aid, but I have never seen a recovery after they start the thumper. I think it's main use is to have the family/bystanders see something being tried. It is sure enough a rib breaker and sounds crunchy when it's been used for awhile. Once they start, it does not stop until they get to the hospital. An obviously dead person being jackhammered coming out of an ambulance is not pretty.

taxi1

pilot
What you really don't want to see is the " Thumper "
I was wondering if they used it. I am a ski patroller, and we would use one if we had one. If they got his heart back on the field, probably didn't need to?

We've had two resuscitation events. With one, after the AED he popped right up and was like, "What's going on?" He was ready to continue his trail run. The other was failed.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Notanaviator

Contributor
What you really don't want to see is the " Thumper " It is a mechanical CPR compression machine that they use for extended cpr during transport. I don't have any medical training other than first aid, but I have never seen a recovery after they start the thumper. I think it's main use is to have the family/bystanders see something being tried. It is sure enough a rib breaker and sounds crunchy when it's been used for awhile. Once they start, it does not stop until they get to the hospital. An obviously dead person being jackhammered coming out of an ambulance is not pretty.
Having broken a few ribs administering CPR can attest to it being an alarming experience- they don’t market that because if they did they’d have a worse problem with bystanders getting involved, which dramatically improves possible outcomes. Early CPR is no joke.

I will however add a note on the Lucas device- ‘thumper’- I helped get our metro EMS enough units for sprinters and ambulances, then fire trucks. Having consistent automated chest compressions that are SUPER tiring to deliver by hand is great, freeing medics up to do more ALS type things is even better. Great innovation and has been very successful where I live.

GroundPounder

Having broken a few ribs administering CPR can attest to it being an alarming experience- they don’t market that because if they did they’d have a worse problem with bystanders getting involved, which dramatically improves possible outcomes. Early CPR is no joke.

I will however add a note on the Lucas device- ‘thumper’- I helped get our metro EMS enough units for sprinters and ambulances, then fire trucks. Having consistent automated chest compressions that are SUPER tiring to deliver by hand is great, freeing medics up to do more ALS type things is even better. Great innovation and has been very successful where I live.
I stand corrected on the Lucas, glad to be wrong in this instance. Very true about the physical effort that CPR requires, especially if it takes awhile to get to a hospital. Even 5 or 10 minutes is a pretty demanding level of exhertion.