• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foot issue

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Just out of curiosity.....is the wear pattern on the bottom of your shoes even.....or skewed?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Well, just seeing if anyone else had the same issue and what they did about it. Besides, doctor's appointment means missed day of nuke school.

nuke school isnt on saturday, is it? there are doctors that make saturday appointments.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I had the same problem after OCS. I remember asking my wife to rub my feet after I got out and I almost jumped off the sofa from the pain. She barely used any pressure. The problem lasted a good couple months. I just stretched them well, rubbed them here and there and now they are fine.

Bevo16

pilot
Good news for you buddy, you are not the first person in the Navy to have a problem like this.

I had a decade long battle with shin splints until one the head athletic trainer in college got me fitted for custom made inserts. The pain was gone for good within a week. Custom inserts are the "one size fits all" solution to about 90% of all foot strike problems. I could have searched the world over and spent thousands of dollars on shoes without finding something that would work. I could take these inserts from my cleats to any other shoes, and my feet have been fine ever since.

The Navy has a program that will buy you a set of custom made inserts twice a year. If you are in OCS, it may not be the quick fix you need, but it could easily be a long term solution for you.

This is a program that everyone needs to know about. It's just a matter of time until you have a sailor on FEP because they can't pass the run. A lot of these guys can pass the run because running hurts like hell due to foot strike problems. Get these guys into medical and get them the tool they need to get fixed (or at least eliminate an excuse).

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I believe motion control, since they have additional support on the inner part of the sole. They never really told me what it was called; they just fitted me and handed me like 3 different pairs of shoes to try on that they recommended.

hmmm. it doesn't sound like they fitted you properly. what is the brand/model of the shoe? did they make you run with them and observe your gait from behind when running?

also, what inserts did they set you up with? sometimes, you have to "break in" inserts because they hurt more than the regular shoe

I think Feddoc is trying to check your pronation. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_type#Pronation
under "Determining Pronation"

Huggy Bear

pilot
I had plantar faciitis bad for years. 2 things finally cured it. One - rest. I had a minor surgery that left me sedentary for two months and gave time for my foot to heal. Two - Wearing shoes with arch support, even around the house. I'm a real get home from work and kick the shoes off kinda guy; I didn't follow the podiatrists advice at first. He said you really need to wear good shoes all the time, even around the house. I took his advice and it has worked to prevent a reoccurence. Good luck.

Geez, that Triggerpoint footballer is expensive - did you get the whole kit, which was somewhere around $120?

I starting having pain in my left foot when I began running in an old pair of tennis shoes- since then, I was fitted with running shoes...she watched me walk and said the pair I got would work. Still had pain...does the stretching everyday really work? Anyone have serious effects from having arch pain?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
How about the old ones? How long have you used both?
On the old ones, the wear is slightly greater on the outside portion than the inside portion, but I had to look at it for about a minute to actually notice it. According to a wet test, I have neutral arches. I had the old shoes from January through June, and the new ones since then. Thing is, the problem didn't originate from the old pair of shoes; it originated from a different pair of shoes that I ran in for just one day.

hmmm. it doesn't sound like they fitted you properly. what is the brand/model of the shoe? did they make you run with them and observe your gait from behind when running?
They fitted me with a couple, but I went with Asics GT-2130.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
They fitted me with a couple, but I went with Asics GT-2130.

according to running warehouse, that shoe is designed for mild to moderate overpronation and it has a pretty high arch support.
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-A213OM1.html

if you have a neutral arch, you might not be overpronating at all. did the ppl in the store observe your running gait with the shoes? the best way is to get behind the person as they are running to see which way their ankles go as you run.

the arch support issue might explain why you are having foot pain also.

lmnop

Geez, that Triggerpoint footballer is expensive - did you get the whole kit, which was somewhere around $120?

I got the total body kit. It is spendy, and you could make the same implements yourself with some roller blade wheels and stiff foam. With the results I've had though, it was money well spent as far as I'm concerned.