• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foot issue

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I bought a 2nd pair of Nike sneakers from the NEX at OCS prior to RLP with the idea that I'd use them for the 2nd half of training. After my knee had been acting up a bunch, which at the time I didn't know was due to the cadillacs, I decided to try them out. Big mistake. My arches were killing me at the end of PT, felt like someone was stretching my foot apart. I donned the old sneakers for the rest of OCS, and the problem persisted but went down.

After OCS I went to a running sneaker store to get a properly fitting pair of running shoes hoping that that would fix the issue, but the arch problem still persists now and then. Thing is, it only acts up when I'm not running. During any PT I feel fine, but I'll be laying in bed or something and suddenly feel some pain in my arches. Tried checking sources like Webmd and the like for any household remedies, but no dice. Any suggestions?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I had this same problem with the shoes they recommended to me at OCS. They gave me a "neutral" shoe, which felt like my foot was being stretched apart. I wear "motion control" shoes now, for overpronation, and my feet are great.

What kind of shoes do you wear now? Motion control, neutral, or high arch shoes?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I believe motion control, since they have additional support on the inner part of the sole. They never really told me what it was called; they just fitted me and handed me like 3 different pairs of shoes to try on that they recommended.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I bought a 2nd pair of Nike sneakers from the NEX at OCS prior to RLP with the idea that I'd use them for the 2nd half of training. After my knee had been acting up a bunch, which at the time I didn't know was due to the cadillacs, I decided to try them out. Big mistake. My arches were killing me at the end of PT, felt like someone was stretching my foot apart. I donned the old sneakers for the rest of OCS, and the problem persisted but went down.

After OCS I went to a running sneaker store to get a properly fitting pair of running shoes hoping that that would fix the issue, but the arch problem still persists now and then. Thing is, it only acts up when I'm not running. During any PT I feel fine, but I'll be laying in bed or something and suddenly feel some pain in my arches. Tried checking sources like Webmd and the like for any household remedies, but no dice. Any suggestions?

Sounds like it could potentially be Plantar Fasciitis. I've had the condition for a year and a half, and my symptoms are similar to yours. I originally got the injury by running too much on old shoes. My arches still hurt, not during PT, but in the mornings or after standing up. Make an appointment with a doc and get referred to a podiatrist. They may get you custom inserts (I'm on my second pair), they kind of help. There is a lot of info out there on different ways to relieve the pain.

A few that I've tried:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_archpain_rex.htm

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010201/467.html

http://heelspurs.com/index.html

Also recently bought this:
http://www.thesock.com/

Rest seems to be a common denominator w/ all the healing recommendations. Take it easy on the running, it may help, but didn't work for me.

Any specifics, fell free to shoot me a PM.

Oh, and don't worry about going med down for the problem. As long as the pain/discomfort from you feet doesn't bother you at work, it's not a huge issue.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Airwarriors is obviously not the best place for medical advice. You need to go see your doc or someone else.
Well, just seeing if anyone else had the same issue and what they did about it. Besides, doctor's appointment means missed day of nuke school.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
LoL. In all seriousness, we're only allowed to miss 3 days in the entire 6 months. I'm already going to miss one from a funeral, and possibly a 2nd because I'm still a class 3 dental.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Definitely go see a podiatrist. I'm thinking he'll probably recommend some orthopedic insoles. Seems like it may not be the shoe as much as it might be an insole. But yea go see your doc and like the man said above get referred to a podiatrist. They're the experts.

Also you might want to try to stretch your feet. Grab a tennis ball and roll your bare foot over it while applying pressure to it.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Spekkio

Definitely seek out a Dr.'s adivise first. If the answer doesn't pan out in a away that's acceptable to you.... then get a referral to a podiatrist or physical therapy. Ortho docs generally are the best with "feet issues". (wife is a doc). You'll get it fixed. Swo-on!

Mike

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Spekkio,

Your feet are too valuable to goof with. When you go see that podiatrist, take your old and new shoes with you.

phrogpilot73

Either roll back (which means 2 months of stash work) or re-designate, not sure which.
I'd be willing to bet it would be a roll, seeing as how they were begging guys to join the nuke pipeline earlier this year. Your feet can make or break you - I'd say it's worth rolling if you need to go see the doc...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'd be willing to bet it would be a roll, seeing as how they were begging guys to join the nuke pipeline earlier this year. Your feet can make or break you - I'd say it's worth rolling if you need to go see the doc...
Well, that's the thing. The problem is an intermittent nuisance right now. It hasn't gotten any worse since it started two months ago, it's just not 100% better yet. I was just curious if there were any measures I could take to get it 100% better.

I'm going to try the posted stretches, and if it still doesn't get better then I'll make an appointment to see a doc about it.

Thanks for all the responses.