• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying with Oxygen Mask

dukenner

MrWiggles
Looking to get some info on what it’s like flying with the oxygen mask. Is it difficult at first or do you hardly ever notice it?
Wore a mask in the hypoxia simulator in API and found it tiring to suck down air even at 100% o2.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You get used to it and don't really notice it, except when the accumulation of snot particles makes the outflow valve stick intermittently, which for most students typically occurs on a random flight about halfway through primary.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
You get used to it and don't really notice it, except when the accumulation of snot particles makes the outflow valve stick intermittently, which for most students typically occurs on a random flight about halfway through primary.
Or every flight if your mask is just shitty like mine is...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having it fitted properly is a major thing, and it helps to have good PRs who work with you, as opposed to lazy ones who go "the pub told me this is what 'right' looks like, so I can't help you, sir." And who do a good job maintaining them. Generally, they should fit it up perfect, and then either tack the adjustment straps down (which is only quasi-legal, they told me) or at least give you good grease pencil marks on the straps so you can readjust it quickly in the cockpit. That way you don't end up with a shitty seal and/or O2 jetting into your eyeballs. Done properly, you barely notice it. Done crappily, it ought to be banned under the Geneva Conventions.

Also helps to make sure your mic is adjusted properly, as close as you can get to your mouth without eating the thing, so you don't sound like Darth Vader on the radio.

HuggyU2

None
Dukenner,

You won't notice it. In fact, you might eventually enjoy it.

In my AF experience, we always had really good Aircrew Flight Equipment technicians that knew the equipment very well and worked to get us a perfect fit. We also had great equipment. The "new" masks (MBU-20A/P... with the hose coming out of the side) are a major improvement to the old style (where the hose came out the center of the mask).

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
The "new" masks (MBU-20A/P... with the hose coming out of the side) are a major improvement to the old style (where the hose came out the center of the mask).

Just to offer a different viewpoint, I have found the opposite to be true. The "old" (MBU-12) mask was much more comfortable, less prone to getting restricted while turning your head, and seemed to made of much higher quality material. One man's opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I concur. The new masks are garbage.
I could never get the new masks to fit my (once broken and hence crooked) nose without wrenching down uncomfortably on the straps. Even then, it was a crapshoot as to whether it would leak or not.

I had an old one for a while, but the PRs at 106 took it from me and said I couldn't use it as it wasn't authorized- but then a couple weeks later saw a reserve O-5 using it. Thanks guys...

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had an old one for a while, but the PRs at 106 took it from me and said I couldn't use it as it wasn't authorized- but then a couple weeks later saw a reserve O-5 using it. Thanks guys...
I'm agnostic on the MBU-12 vs -20 argument . . . but I reiterate my point about good PRs vs lazy ones. :)

As everyone else said, it's not the breathing that will be the problem. When you get in instruments and have three days of out and ins in a row, you might think your nose is going to fall off. It took two weeks for my nose to stop hurting to the touch.

dukenner

MrWiggles
As everyone else said, it's not the breathing that will be the problem. When you get in instruments and have three days of out and ins in a row, you might think your nose is going to fall off. It took two weeks for my nose to stop hurting to the touch.
Thats the answer i was looking for. Its the breathing part that I found tiring. Felt as if the hose was clogged, like breathing through a water filter if that makes any sense. Maybe I just had a crappy mask?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I could never get the new masks to fit my (once broken and hence crooked) nose without wrenching down uncomfortably on the straps. Even then, it was a crapshoot as to whether it would leak or not.

I have a crooked and smashed schnoz, too, hence the hate for the new mask. It fits like shit. Those PRs are full of shit...it’s still authorized. I got the same line from mine which got the ‘show me where it says that in the maintenance manual’ reply. Spoiler alert: it doesn’t. They just don’t want to go through the effort to procure parts to keep the -12s working.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thats the answer i was looking for. Its the breathing part that I found tiring. Felt as if the hose was clogged, like breathing through a water filter if that makes any sense. Maybe I just had a crappy mask?
Was it issued to you or pool gear? 5 bucks says if it's the latter, you got a POS where they never did periodic maintenance on it correctly. Fit issues I've had. I've never had trouble literally breathing, but then again, I went through T-45s before the OBOGS units shit the bed.