• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying in Highschool

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouch

Baylor does have a lot of available loan and grant money. I qualified for quite a bit. I still had to take a lot in loans though. I guess I overlooked the grants because I don't have to pay them back. Belton is awsome but I like Stillhouse more. There are the famed guadelupe bass in Stillhouse. Plus when I'm done fishing, I go to hood and look at all the tanks and apachies. Cool.

DanMav11

Does anyone know if you can still trade labor for flight time? I would love to learn to fly at my local airport, but I doubt I could afford it... Does anyone know an average price range?

JayManC

DanMav
ive heard that 'labor for lessons' story almost as many times as ive heard the 'walked uphill both ways to school' and at work the "i started out pushing shopping carts and now im a VP" story. personally with the exception of GatorDev's story i think its a crock.

FYI lessons really depend on what plane you want to fly. shop around. the going rate at FBO's in my area are about $20/hr for the instructor and about 50-60 for a C152; a friend of mine was able to find a tomahawk for $45 but i think there was something shady going on there...
172's are more all in all i think my friend spent about $3800 and spent shortly over a year getting it.

<insert something witty here:>

ghost_ttu

Dan:

I'm in Dallas and I trained in a Traumahawk for 40/hr. wet. Instructor was 20/hr. I flew a lot and started my training in late March, I finished in early July. Two of those months I didn't fly at all because of work. Most of my flying was at night and on weekends though. To answer your question SOME instructors would go up for free with some of the line guys just for the hell of it. And the owner would knock 10% off the rental price.

I think $4,000 is avg for getting your private. And I have seen flat rate deals that include headsets, but those are specials that come along once in a blue moon.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

grouch

It cost me $4,000. I worked at an FBO and I can say I NEVER got any free time. The instructors were too concerned with kissing corporate butt for jobs to help out. The work for play is an urban legend that only happens in the movies. Besides the planes at the place worked at were so turd-ball I didn't want to fly them!

ghost_ttu

I guess I must have picked the only cool place to fly. I would go hang out and go flying with my instructors for free all the time (they would call me up and still do, just to go flying) My instructor even had me fly him over to Tyler one day because he didn't want to drive and I picked him up the next week (he paid for the plane). My instructor would give me free ground time all the time I would just have to buy dinner or something like that. But then again I'm a super cool guy and we would BS all the time so it was more of a helping your buddy out type of thing after awhile I think. Just to mention other lil things I pulled off, I got offered to fly a guy up to New York one day but I couldn't do it because I had to go to work the next day and it was a last minute trip type thing. I also got employee rates on some of my flights because the counter girl liked me and had me take her flying a few times when I was going to go solo. (this was all during my instrument work of course) So I would just go somewhere you feel comfortable, you might or might not get the breaks, they won't come the first week but if the guys are cool you might get a break here and there.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

DanMav11

Oh, well at those rates, I doubt I'll be able to get it for a while, I am only almost 16! Next summer I'll be getting paid 7.25/hr or so as a lifeguard, but if I can become a State Park Lifeguard, I'll be getting 17/hr. Too bad I am so damn young! O well!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by JayManC
DanMav
ive heard that 'labor for lessons' story almost as many times as ive heard the 'walked uphill both ways to school' and at work the "i started out pushing shopping carts and now im a VP" story. personally with the exception of GatorDev's story i think its a crock.

icon_smile.gif
Yeah, I certainly didn't do all my flight training that way, but it was a great way to start. I just happened into the right spot at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.