• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying helos for the Army, or....?

staff

Hey guys, just wondering if yall could tell me what kinds of factors make some people change their mind halfway through flight school that they don't want jets anymore?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Staff:

One is ability. Guys think they're Jet dudes, and then learn that it's not as easy as Maverick made it look to fly an arcing approach while configuring for landing AND talking on the radio, all w/out help. Some people's minds don't work at 150+ knots that well, and that's perfectly okay (as long as it will work at 90). Another, probably smaller factor is airsickness or general comfortable-nes w/ being at weird attitudes.

Lastly, there's just gaining experience by talking w/ the different kinds of pilots. For better or worse, there aren't a lot of Jet guys around Primary to spread their knowledge. But guys who think "only jets," get to hear sea stories about other platforms and it opens their eyes and helps them make a better educated choice during selection, even if, in the end, they choose jets.

helicoptergirl

Thanks for all of the info.. So what happens to somebody who doesn't make it? Will I still be stuck to my 6 year contract? I am a surgical tech right now, and I finished college and have been doing that for a few years. Do you think I'd probably get stuck doing that for the Army? Also, what's the deal nowadays with women in combat?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
@ staff also

There are also few amounts of guys that go into flight school not wanting jets (or fixed winged in general). Some find the culture of certain communities as the biggest lure.

macattack

helicoptergirl said:
Thanks for all of the info.. So what happens to somebody who doesn't make it? Will I still be stuck to my 6 year contract? I am a surgical tech right now, and I finished college and have been doing that for a few years. Do you think I'd probably get stuck doing that for the Army? Also, what's the deal nowadays with women in combat?

Well contract wise, it's 6 years for the pilots...I think it's 4 years now for other officers (someone confirm that one)?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
macattack said:
Well contract wise, it's 6 years for the pilots...I think it's 4 years now for other officers (someone confirm that one)?

Officer active duty commitments depend on commissioning source and "era" (they go up and down for various reasons). Pretty much everyone who joins the military for any reason incurs an 8 year total commitment, a combination of active and/or reserves. Once you are an officer and then earn your wings you incur a separate, but often concurrent obligation. Mine was 7 years, but again it changes every so often.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You definitely need to ask what happens if you DOR or get disqualified in flight school in any service. Depending on needs of the service, you might get a free pass home (not likely nowadays but it used to be the case) or find yourself in the jobs they can't fill and in places you may not want to go if given a choice. Ask the question before you sign and decide whether it is worth a shot. I believe that shouldn't discourage you neither should the 4 or 6 or 10 year obligations. I wanted to fly so bad that the obligation was meaningless to me, I merely said that guarantees me I'll be flying that long. The time will fly past, believe me. This is a commitment and if you don't want to step up to the plate, then do something else. It will take a lot of commitment to get those wings in any service so you have to go into without distraction of harboring reservations.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
ChunksJR said:
There's my hero at HSC-26 that never got his degree and is a DH. They are leftovers from the AOCS (I think that's it...) program...my VT on-wing was one too...Don't know the details of the program, but know that there was the opportunity...

It was the NAVCAD program - Naval Aviation Cadet. You went to OCS/AOCS, graduated, but did not get commissioned until you were winged. You needed only a high school diploma to apply. Believe it or not there was a time when BuPers could not get enough 1390's. NAVCAD, Flying LDO, etc. were some creative solutions to this short term problem. Remember that this wasin the day of AOCS classes graduating 30-50 per week (all either pilot, NFO or AMDO bound). Other than the 1960's this was Naval Aviation at it's peak! VT students were being double pumped, the syllabus had a lot more solos, and Jet and Helo selections were about equal out of primary. I hate to say it but those were the days. You had to all but commit a felony to not make O-4. :)

bobbybrock

None
As an Army pilot I would have to agree with the Marine and Navy bubbas.
Finish school, then look into the branch you want.
I've flown for the Army for about 12 years so I speak with some experience.
Females in army aviation are afforded the same opportunities as males. The only airframes females are restricted from flying are special operation aircraft.
These would be the MH-47, MH-60 and MH-6. Aside from that you can fly antything in the regular army inventory. We also have fixed wing aircraft. Mostly King Airs . But we do have a few jets to fly VIP's.

helicoptergirl

Well I talked to an Army recruiter yesterday. I went there the other day and nobody was there, so I called today and left a message and shortly afterward he called me back. He told me it was hard to come in "off of the street" and be a WO, and that most of the time they have somebody be a air mechanic or air traffic control person for a year before they apply for WO. I asked him if there was any way I could go ahead and try out for it and he said I could, without even signing a contract! So I'm supposed to go see him some time after the first of the year and schedule and appointment. Does anybody have any idea what I need to do to prepare myself? I don't know if I'll have a second chance at this so I need to know if there's anything I can study.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
helicoptergirl said:
Well I talked to an Army recruiter yesterday. I went there the other day and nobody was there, so I called today and left a message and shortly afterward he called me back. He told me it was hard to come in "off of the street" and be a WO, and that most of the time they have somebody be a air mechanic or air traffic control person for a year before they apply for WO. I asked him if there was any way I could go ahead and try out for it and he said I could, without even signing a contract! So I'm supposed to go see him some time after the first of the year and schedule and appointment. Does anybody have any idea what I need to do to prepare myself? I don't know if I'll have a second chance at this so I need to know if there's anything I can study.

My brother recently went through this process and now flies Apaches for the Army. I also lookied into it before I applied for OCS and went Naval aviation. The BS about going elisted for a while is his way of being lazy. They tried the same shit on me, and then 6 months later on my brother. The recruiter that finally helped us said that it is a butt load of work for the recruiter so they don't want to do it, and not very many of them know a lot about the program. Try to find someone who has put someone in the WOFT program before. It is not that difficult to get in the program assuming you are intelligent and don't have anything wierd on your record. (My brother has a masters degree, but 80% of the guys he works with have HS and small amounts of college)
That all being said, I just had my brother visit me for a few days and took him to see my squadron here at Moody. I know its AF, but still quite a bit of difference in quality of life. My brother loves flying the a/c but HATES the Army. He did nothing but bitch about it for 2 days straight. If you want to fly helos, you are next to guaranteed that in the Navy if you want it.

phrogpilot73

Just thought that I'd add there is still a program in place for people who don't have a bachelor's... It's called the Meritorious Comissioning Program (at least it's in the USMC). You have to be enlisted, $hit hot, and have your associates. Then you're a normal, ordinary comissioned officer. Until after your first float, then you had to college to finish your last two years, with the USMC picking up the tab and giving you a salary to boot! My buddy just graduated, and he's checking back into the fleet next month...

Crowbar

None
phrogpilot73 said:
Just thought that I'd add there is still a program in place for people who don't have a bachelor's... It's called the Meritorious Comissioning Program (at least it's in the USMC). You have to be enlisted, $hit hot, and have your associates. Then you're a normal, ordinary comissioned officer. Until after your first float, then you had to college to finish your last two years, with the USMC picking up the tab and giving you a salary to boot! My buddy just graduated, and he's checking back into the fleet next month...

MCP has changed. Now it's more like MECEP, except you have to have 75 hrs of college to apply, and I don't know if you have to do NROTC 'events' (anybody know for sure on that one?).

NEW MCP. BEGINNING 1 JANUARY 2003, MARINES ENTERING THE MCP WILL REQUIRE 75 COMPLETED COLLEGE CREDITS AND A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE FROM A NAVAL RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS AFFILIATED COLLEGE THAT CERTIFIES THE MARINE CAN COMPLETE A BACCALAUREATE DEGREE WITHIN AN 18-MONTH PERIOD. MARINES ACCEPTED FOR THE MCP WILL COMPLETE A 10-WEEK CLASS AT OFFICER CANDIDATES SCHOOL (OCS) THEN ATTEND COLLEGE FULL-TIME FOR UP TO 18 MONTHS TO COMPLETE THEIR BACCALAUREATE DEGREES. MARINES WILL DRAW FULL PAY AND ALLOWANCES WHILE ATTENDING COLLEGE BUT ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN EXPENSES FOR TUITION, BOOKS AND FEES. ELIGIBLE MARINES CAN USE MONTGOMERY GI BILL BENEFITS TO DEFRAY TUITION EXPENSES. MARINES WILL BE COMMISSIONED UPON COMPLETION OF THEIR BACCALAUREATE DEGREE AND THEN ASSIGNED TO THE BASIC SCHOOL. MCP MARINES MUST REENLIST FOR A PERIOD OF FOUR YEARS UPON COMPLETION OF OCS.

IN ORDER TO PROVIDE THE BEST CAREER AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR OFFICERS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN COMMISSIONED THROUGH THE MCP, RESERVE FIRST LIEUTENANTS WITHOUT BACCALAUREATE DEGREES WILL BE EXPECTED TO BEGIN A FULL-TIME BACCALAUREATE DEGREE COMPLETION PROGRAM UPON COMPLETION OF TWO YEARS AT THEIR FIRST DUTY STATION.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can you imagine? Checking into NROTC as an O-3. "Captain, you'll be Bravo company's 3rd squad leader. Make sure you get with the SKC to have your Marine option shoulder boards issued." Or, "Welcome to the unit, Captain. You'll be working for Staff Sargent Smith. Route all your chits through him."