• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying helos for the Army, or....?

helicoptergirl

I'm considering joining the Army as a warrant officer because I want to fly helos. I don't really know much about the Army so far, but I'm female and I want to find somebody who is a female helo pilot and get her perspective on life in the Army (being female) and if anything is different or off-limits for females (in terms of combat exposure and the like). Or if anybody (including guys) out there has been an Army helo pilot your insight would be appreciated.

I also want to see what the chances are of me not getting to fly the helo I want (or not flying helos at all). And I'm also interested if any of the other branches of the armed forces will allow someone to be a pilot w/o a bachelor's degree?

Thanks!

Reactions: E5B

macattack

Well I don't know much but I will tell you a couple of things-the Army is the only service where you can fly w/o a bachelor's degree-though from what I understand a number of applicants do indeed have bachelor's degrees, so it's a big disadvantage when it comes to the application process. As far as what helo you get, you get to list preferences, but ultimately it's what the Army needs. So be willing to take anything. Hope what little I can offer helps.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Aptap

The is a group called APTAP which stands for Army Pilot to Airline Pilot. They have a forum at http://aptap.forumco.com .

Although they are trying the reverse of what you want (going civilian aviation instead of Army), they could probably answer your questions better than we can.

The Army is the only branch that allows pilots without the bachelors degree.

yeah, check out this site as well www.kiowapilots.com .Its all Army helo pilot oriented, mainly 58D pilots, but there are a mix of of different airframes in there too. It will tell you everything, from how to apply for a warrant slot, and also guides through the flight training process, just like these forums do for the Navy and Marines...seriously alot of good info there.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Think about taking the time to get your degree and going Navy or Marines. If helos are what you want, you probably won't have any trouble getting them. One can beat the pros/cons of the Army system versus the Navy/Marine system all day, and I recomend doing a search on the topic. If you would like more varied assignments and career progression, I'd recommend the Navy or Marines. Of course, I'm also biased towards the Corps.

If flying is really all you want to do, the Army WO program may be the deal for you. Keep in mind that applying off the street for that is very competitive. While it does not require a degree, you will be competing against people who either have degrees or who have some years enlisted time before applying.

good point, plus if something does go horribly wrong...like lets say a freak accident happens and you lose an eyeball and you have no depth perception anymore, or you fail the phyiscal then you can go on to another career..where as putting all your eggs in one basket with the Army, could put you between a rock and a hardspot.....**** happens esp. in the miltary.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
There's my hero at HSC-26 that never got his degree and is a DH. They are leftovers from the AOCS (I think that's it...) program...my VT on-wing was one too...Don't know the details of the program, but know that there was the opportunity...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The old NAVCAD program. But that is no longer an opening for someone trying to get in.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
but I still have a 10th grade education. :D

Brett
I always figured 9th grade for you, with some remedial HOME EC 101 thrown in. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
Oh, I thought that was how Punk got here, or maybe that was just the habitual complainers to short bus drivers program. My bad. Anyhow, I thought that I had expounded enough times on my unorthodox accession. Pay attention, people! ;)

Brett

Reactions: bch