• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flu/H1N1 Shot

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Quick question for the folks here. I'm leaving for OCS on 25-Oct. I have the option to get the flu shot as well as the H1N1 vaccination. Is there any problems doing this prior to going to OCS? Don't want to mess up my medical clearance.

Thanks

Pilot123

pilot
Quick question for the folks here. I'm leaving for OCS on 25-Oct. I have the option to get the flu shot as well as the H1N1 vaccination. Is there any problems doing this prior to going to OCS? Don't want to mess up my medical clearance.

Thanks

They're mandatory for all active duty...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I figured it was pretty benign but just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Lawman

None
I like having to submit my proof that I got my flu shot before I go home on leave.

KBayDog

Thanks

Save your time and money. Uncle Sam will see to it that you get all the shots you could hope for (and plenty that you never dreamed of) when you get to OCS. I'd be willing to bet that even if you got the vaccinations before OCS, you'll get one/both again when you're herded through the receiving line.

But hey, if it makes you feel better, get your flu shots. (Get mine while you're at it, too.)

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
As long as its a flu shot and not the flu nasal spray... Who ever thought up that one needs to be shot. You have the taste of flu in your mouth for the next day...

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
The nasal spray is the bomb-diggidy. I'd rather sniff than get jabbed by an E-1 giving his first shot. Then again, i'm a big pu$$y when it comes to needles.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The nasal spray is the bomb-diggidy. I'd rather sniff than get jabbed by an E-1 giving his first shot. Then again, i'm a big pu$$y when it comes to needles.

Unless things have changed since last year, the nasal spray can not be taken by those in a flight status.

Brett

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Last year we were all given the spray in the VTs. It is downing for 72 hours, so they gave them to us before we punched out for the Labor Day 72.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last year we were all given the spray in the VTs. It is downing for 72 hours, so they gave them to us before we punched out for the Labor Day 72.

Yeah, I think the shot is only 12 hours, or perhaps nothing at all.

Brett

KBayDog

Yeah, I think the shot is only 12 hours, or perhaps nothing at all.

Brett

I'll be willing to bet that the 'downing' criteria for immunizations is dependent on what is convenient at the time, and what is needed to ensure 'readiness' doesn't fall below the threshold that requires extra paperwork. (I'm still going to believe this even when feddoc proves me wrong.)

"Long weekend? Good, because the flu shot downs you for 72 hours."

"Flying tomorrow? Good, because the flu shot only downs you for 24 hours."

"Flying tonight? Good, because the flu shot only downs you for 12 hours."

"Walking to the bird? Good, because the flu shot isn't a downer."