• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flu/H1N1 Shot

Bevo16

pilot
There was a multi page thread on this topic a few months ago.

The shot is not mandatory, and it does not do much for you. Of the thousands of strain of flu on our planet, the CDC picks 2-3 per year that they think might be big, and put that in the shot. Every year, thousands of people get the flu shot only to get sick with a different variety of flu.

If you want to get it, good for you. If you don't want to get it, explain why to your doc.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I was honestly hoping to stave off the flu at OCS with the shots. Sure it's a crap shoot anyway by why hurt my chances? I'm not a wuss with needles and the flu shot has never caused me any problems.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I was honestly hoping to stave off the flu at OCS with the shots. Sure it's a crap shoot anyway by why hurt my chances? I'm not a wuss with needles and the flu shot has never caused me any problems.

So get two flu shots...I'm sure it'll stave off the streptococcus in your respiratory tract, and the staphylococcus in your feet. Flu is a nonissue with those two gnarlies running around rampant year round.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There was a multi page thread on this topic a few months ago.

The shot is not mandatory, and it does not do much for you. Of the thousands of strain of flu on our planet, the CDC picks 2-3 per year that they think might be big, and put that in the shot. Every year, thousands of people get the flu shot only to get sick with a different variety of flu.

If you want to get it, good for you. If you don't want to get it, explain why to your doc.

Anyone have a copy of the instruction? I'm not allergic to the damn thing in the life threatening sense, but every time in the past few years when I've gotten the vaccine, I've ended up with the flu (and med down for at least 4 days both times the past two years) because I bought HM3 schmucks word that the shot was mandatory.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...fool me three times and I dunno what i'll do, but it'll probably be retarded!

Bevo16

pilot
Tell them that you are opting out. If they cry about it, have them produce the instruction. There is no language in there that says that "every aviator/officer/sailor SHALL get a flu shot". I don't remember the exact language, but it is something along the lines of "medical facilities will insure that the flu vaccine is given to the largest extent possible". It tells them to not fuck around and try hard to convince people to get it. The language falls well short of saying that it is mandatory.

sfrankie08

pilot
i would just wait. i got it done twice last year. Once it was mandatory for me to get done before checking out of usna, then in pensacola because usna corpsman never logged that I had gotten it done in annapolis. my fault for not making sure my records were marked correctly, but remember everyone in your class will get the shot at the same time anyways.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
If they cry about it, have them produce the instruction. There is no language in there that says that "every aviator/officer/sailor SHALL get a flu shot". "medical facilities will insure that the flu vaccine is given to the largest extent possible". The language falls well short of saying that it is mandatory.

If I was President Obama, I would definitely appoint you the Admin Czar of the Navy.

You are a fountain of useful knowledges.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If I was President Obama, I would definitely appoint you the Admin Czar of the Navy.

You are a fountain of useful knowledges.

Unfortunately, the actual BUMED instruction says it's required:

BUMEDINST 6230.15A 3-1 said:
g. Active duty personnel. Active duty personnel will be immunized in accordance with appendix D or as supplemented in official notices posted at the Military Vaccine Office Web site, http://www.vaccines.mil. During military service, active duty personnel shall receive or be up-to-date on immunizations for hepatitis A, influenza, and tetanus-diphtheria (preferably with pertussis vaccine)....

and again

BUMEDINST 6230.15A 4-8 said:
b. Military personnel. Administer influenza vaccine annually to all active duty and Selected Reserve military personnel.

Allowances are made for exemptions, both medical and administrative. One of the choices is "Medical, Declined," but it's for the declination of optional vaccines, which influenza is not. In the administrative section there is a choice for "Administrative, refusal," but it's for people who are refusing and involved in actions under UCMJ or applying for a religious waiver.

murryton

pilot
BUMED Inst. 6230.15A 4-8 talks about influenza A and B. Apparently, there is 25,000 times the amount of mercury in the vaccine (this is according to Dr. Kent Holtorf on Studio B w/ Shep Smith yesterday) than would make food or water poisonous to humans. I'm no doctor, but I have a lot of reserves about getting stuck with a "rush ordered" vaccine.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
BUMED Inst. 6230.15A 4-8 talks about influenza A and B. Apparently, there is 25,000 times the amount of mercury in the vaccine (this is according to Dr. Kent Holtorf on Studio B w/ Shep Smith yesterday) than would make food or water poisonous to humans. I'm no doctor, but I have a lot of reserves about getting stuck with a "rush ordered" vaccine.
Sounds like you will be gaining an immunity to mercury poisoning, too. Sweet!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I haven't had a flu shot in @ 10 years. As a result, I've only had the 'flu' twice in the past 10 years ...

Prior to that, when I was a 'good soldier' and got the shot(s) religiously ... ??

And I got the flu every year. :)

You-all need to do some 'stupid study' on the flu vaccine, how it's made, how it's stored (my daughter is a knowledgeable bio-tech and is NOT a 'fan' of the vaccine) ... and the potential ramifications of taking it over a long (several years/decades) period of time ...

It ain't pretty.

But what's it 'really about'???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ... or didn't you know that???
:)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Anyone get the shot yet?

We have an "all hands flu vaccination" thing tomorrow and I REALLY don't want to get it. My immune system sucks balls and I know I'll get sick from it.

I'd love to scheme my way out of it, but the one thing I'd hate more than getting the flu would be getting my dick slapped.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Anyone get the shot yet?

We have an "all hands flu vaccination" thing tomorrow and I REALLY don't want to get it. My immune system sucks balls and I know I'll get sick from it.

I'd love to scheme my way out of it, but the one thing I'd hate more than getting the flu would be getting my dick slapped.

Yup, we got an email saying we "would" be getting it, so I went and got stuck. All good over here in SD.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got it a month ago, in fact the day right before I moved here to Jax. Spending all day packing after that was really fun since it made me feel like crap. At least I didn't get a fever like my roommate did.