• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School.... Where to live?

trkracer

So, im getting ready to finish up TBS and should be headed down to Pensacola, FL for API soon. I have no idea where to live.... I have heard that i should just go ahead and get a place in milton since i will spending the majority of my time there with primary (assuming i go there for Primary) and then for helos (which is what i want, and assume if you want them, you get them). But with the long wait time for API in the first place, and im assuming ill have to be checking into NAS Pensacola everyday in the mean time, should i just get a place close to there? what do most people do? where are the nice place to live? I will probably try and line a place up before i head down and dont want to be far from "town" or the fun places to hang out. Any suggestions?
ps- I dont want to live in an apartment, and already have a roommate, so a neighborhood would probably be best.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
You're doing a lot of assuming. Are you married or do you have another reason for assuming you'll go to Whiting? If you're single, I wouldn't even think about living in Milton if I wasn't sure I was going to Whiting. Even then, with the wait for API...probably not worth it. I lived out on the beach my first 5 months or so here - it's a bit of a drive to NASP, but it was worth it to me. A LOT of people live out the back gate, which is close to base, Perdido Beach, Florabama, and nothing else. Personally, I'd probably recommend downtown - you'll be about 15 minutes to base, 15 minutes to the beach, and a short walk to anywhere else worth hanging out in Pensacola.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Married Marines are not necessarily going to Whiting.

I dont know the inner workings of MATSG but I will say the only Marine to go to Corpus from my API class is married... several single Marines went to Whiting.

Look for a place close to work or close to downtown.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
thanks for the advice. so generally speaking, are most single Marines going to Corpus for primary?

I know a lot of single Marines at Whiting, and I know a lot of single Marines who went to Corpus. Bottom line - the only thing you can count on is not being sure of where you'll be going for a long time. And as someone who lives in Milton now - don't move here before you have to. I mean, I know you guys are into the self-hazing thing, but there's gotta be a limit...live on the beach or downtown and then during Primary you can be like the rest of us wishing we still did.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
When I was close to finishing TBS I was plagued with the same questions. My wife and I wanted to go to Whiting to avoid another move two months after I got there. We rented a place in Jaimee's Ridge (close to the intersection of Hwy 90 and Avalon) from a VT-6 Reserve IP. It was quite a bit of a drive from the house to the API building (about 45 mins), but seeing how it is only 6 weeks of API and 6 months of Primary, I felt the commute would be worth it. I already had my PPL, so I didn't need to wait around for IFS.

At first, I was kinda worried that I would have to commute every day for muster (which would have reaked havoc on my wallet), but I talked to the Marine Officer Controller and he worked out a deal with the VT's so I could be stashed at Whiting. Initially, I was working with the Sr Marine at VT-6 about 3 days a week, but that didn't last long since I classed up pretty quickly for API (checked in Oct 18 and started Nov 20ish). They were willing to work with me down in P'cola, so definitely look into that option.

Also, when you check in, I'd talk to the enlisted guy that sits by the scheduling board, as he usually knows what classes are starting up when and how they will be stacking the VT's. The Marines usually (at least when I was there) are able to choose where they want to go, providing that the slots are open. Most of the married guys that I checked in with were all able to get Whiting.

I hope this helps, although things may have changed since I was there. Everything always seems to work itself out anyway. If you want any recommendations on where to live, or want the contact info for my old landlord, PM me.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
We lived on Perdido Key during API and two minutes from the gate at Whiting during Primary. This turned out to be a lot better than living in Milton during API and it also beat living in between and having long drives for the whole year. It would be awful to live in Milton during a long wait to class up and have to drive to Pensacola many times a week for pool duties and responsibilities. The drive is anywhere from 35 mins to over an hour depending on where you live and traffic. It's a good option for married guys that don't want to move again, but if you're single and interested in going out and having a good time you'll definitely regret it. Living near or on the beach is a pretty good deal, especially right after TBS. You don't even know that you're going to Whiting anyway, and you may or may not get to influence that decision.

MaxRU

pilot
Quick question about living in Milton:
I am coming over for helo advanced from Vance, and I did live in Milton for API, but the apartments at Willow Tree left me hollow and depressed...:(:(

What are some nicer places to live in Milton? Does anyone know how often early briefs are for helos?
Or should I try to find a place on the north-east side of Pensacola?
Thanks

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Quick question about living in Milton:
I am coming over for helo advanced from Vance, and I did live in Milton for API, but the apartments at Willow Tree left me hollow and depressed...:(:(

What are some nicer places to live in Milton? Does anyone know how often early briefs are for helos?
Or should I try to find a place on the north-east side of Pensacola?
Thanks

We lived in Jaimee's Ridge (houses across the street from Ollies) and it was pretty nice. IIRC, it was a little over our BAH (maybe $100 at most), but it was definitely worth it. The place was huge, and well more than we needed, but it was nice. I think if you got a buddy to move in with you, it could be well within a single guy's BAH. There were a bunch of houses up for rent in the area, so I'd say start there, and it's centrally located to all of Milton's finest establishments.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P'cola is overwhelmed with really nice houses for rent. The housing bubble collapse left a lot of PCS'ing instructors with houses they couldn't sell. If you can find a roommate or are married, there's no damn reason in the world to go live in one of the Ensign Ghetto apt complexes.

You're very far from the first to agonize over the where-to-live, Whiting-NASP-Corpus dilemma. Pretty much every married student does. Policies change, PCS money dries up, you may be pooled forever or for a week and a half, etc etc. The only sure bet is that whatever assumptions you base your decisions on, will turn out to be wrong.

Find a nice rental in an area you like, and somewhere on the straight line between NASP and Whiting. Don't go for a shitty place because of commute time; you'll hate it, the wife will hate it, and it will most likely turn out not to be worth it. Go get a car that gets decent gas mileage (shit, the gov't's paying you to do that at the moment). Make sure the military clause is in your contract. Then hit the books and stop worrying.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
From inside the MATSG Marine Officer Control cave...You can get any location for primary you want...married, single, white, black, purple...it doesn't matter. You want Whiting, you got Whiting. Caveat, you'll have a 6 to 8 month wait during which you'll have to muster every day so don't live THAT far away. Most married guys live off of 90 somewhere. Single guys are all over the place.

This has come up a few times lately that I've seen...Marines get their choice of primary location, plain and simple. Always subject to change of course; probably when they get their pool numbers back down to something reasonable.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has come up a few times lately that I've seen...Marines get their choice of primary location, plain and simple.

Good gouge for the moment, so if you're packing your bags for P'cola right now, there's your answer. But for the devil dogs who won't be down here for a while, see above WRT: policies change, money dries up, new CO's have different priorities.

Old gouge will bite you every time.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Ensign Ghetto

Heheheh, I knew I wasn't the only one who uses that saying.

/break

MaxRU, field hours these days down in helo land are 9am-1am in the summer and 7am-11pm in the winter. Students are expected to be in the squadron spaces about 2 1/2 hours before takeoff time and after you land 1/2 an hour later getting in your car to drive home is a good planning figure. The earliest simulator slot is 5:30 year 'round and scheduled lectures and fall between 7am~4pm. Hope that helps. Share the knowledge around the student ready room out there in Vance.