• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

Dhoop29

None
Based on timeline, it was either Operation “Enduring Training” on the Lincoln while missing the holidays at home waiting for TBD relief carrier (because God Forbid we not have a carrier in CENTCOM) and wondering about the resolution to “will they / won’t they” start yet another war with another country in the Middle East while doing absolute fuck all in terms of combat or theater security because the ship was stuffed in the proverbial corner of the Middle Eastern AO for 8 months straight. But the punchline was three “port calls” to Duqm, Oman.

Or

A pandemic deployment, which from what heard was even worse.

…yeah, I’m glad I got out. ?
I flew out to the Lincoln as y’all pulled into Bahrain to fly with 103 and was listening to how terrible that deployment was. COD’d back over to the Truman when it finally pulled into 5th fleet thinking “I’m so glad our deployment won’t be nearly as bad”.

Oh sweet summer child…

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That looks like a good idea, sir.

Counterpoint: let’s fly the wings off the T-45s so congress can force-feed us the T-7 like they did the T-6.
Other than the shmish-shmortion of a transition plan that CNATRA executed, how is the T-6 in any way not better than the T-34?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
In primary land, we were told no. Business as usual.
(corpus)

Same here in Whiting

Just wait until everything is a local flight, no ccx contract gas, and your completer paperwork is all sorts of fucked sideways to Saturn because the GS-9 NATOPs clerk and StuCon admin haven't been to work, or paid, in a while....

"How the F do you have a negative NSS and still have wings?" "Hey, I'm on the McCarthy plan!"

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Other than the shmish-shmortion of a transition plan that CNATRA executed, how is the T-6 in any way not better than the T-34?
I thought the T-6’s didn’t have beta, thus limiting the number of outlying fields that could be used? Also, I thought the T-6 had problems with landing gear, brakes, and wheels that were not durable enough?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I thought the T-6’s didn’t have beta, thus limiting the number of outlying fields that could be used? Also, I thought the T-6 had problems with landing gear, brakes, and wheels that were not durable enough?
I heard those things were more of a training and training syllabus flow problem that an airplane problem. Tires/gear/brakes not robust enough for students? The AF had that figured out years prior. Sounds like a copout to me.

My understanding was that CNATRA tried to use the T-34 syllabus and techniques to teach the T-6 syllabus which lead to a lot of unnecessary growing pains.

My peers in primary were the first whiting T-6 studs at VT-6, and their both their NATOPS and syllabus were changing weekly if not daily. That's not a good way to run pilot training.

There are a few folks here who taught at the VTs during the transition. Maybe they could shed some light.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
My understanding was that CNATRA tried to use the T-34 syllabus and techniques to teach the T-6 syllabus which lead to a lot of unnecessary growing pains.

There are a few folks here who taught at the VTs during the transition. Maybe they could shed some light.
I wasn't a student/IP during the transition, but there were still a lot of T-34isms in the syllabus years later. The biggest one was that you sat in the back for most instrument hops. There was also a "requirement" that you had to use a view limiting device if not in actual IMC. Obviously, the T-6 didn't have the hood, so while the view-limiting device was waived. The back seat flights remained. I heard in later syllabi, they made most instrument hops a front seat flight.

Mouselovr

Contributor
I wasn't a student/IP during the transition, but there were still a lot of T-34isms in the syllabus years later. The biggest one was that you sat in the back for most instrument hops. There was also a "requirement" that you had to use a view limiting device if not in actual IMC. Obviously, the T-6 didn't have the hood, so while the view-limiting device was waived. The back seat flights remained. I heard in later syllabi, they made most instrument hops a front seat flight.
A recent instructor told me they were unsat'ing people when they couldn't land in the front after being in the back for awhile. As a result, they changed the syllabus to almost exclusive front flying.