• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

Fallonflyr

pilot
The Air Force’s replacement jet has actually been announced and their STILL not flying it. I’d be shocked if the Navy was able to down select, test, and field a suitable replacement in three years.
If they move initial CQ to the RAG, jet training will probably use the same aircraft as the airforce.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
That looks like a good idea, sir.

Counterpoint: let’s fly the wings off the T-45s so congress can force-feed us the T-7 like they did the T-6.
Weren’t people already getting hypoxia from the 45 due to fucked up canopies? Feel like that’d be enough to get the ball rolling

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here’s an Aviation Leak story on the process….BLUF…no one entering OCS in 2024 will sit in a new jet trainer until they get assigned to a VT (jet) after their first sea tour.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Only if they want to play second fiddle to the USAF- again- and wait even longer for a T-45 replacement.

There is at least one other training jet which is operational, today, and could be built to USN requirements and available sooner than the T-7A.

I hadn't heard the actual date of the program as 2020 before. I'm curious, does that mean it was POM'ed out before then or the funding won't really be there until 2025?

At the Training ENARGs in 2014 and 2016 (I think...maybe it was 2017 too...I can't remember if I went to that one), they were discussing a new jet as part of the planning process, but obviously that's not going to get funded from an ENARG, so not many specifics were mentioned to the group.

On a far more important note, that link made me look up the jet from Hot Shots! to confirm it's not the same thing (it's not), which then led me to learn that the fictional jet in Hot Shots! was called the Phallus Tactical Jet. That movie series is a gift that keeps on giving.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I hadn't heard the actual date of the program as 2020 before. I'm curious, does that mean it was POM'ed out before then or the funding won't really be there until 2025?

At the Training ENARGs in 2014 and 2016 (I think...maybe it was 2017 too...I can't remember if I went to that one), they were discussing a new jet as part of the planning process, but obviously that's not going to get funded from an ENARG, so not many specifics were mentioned to the group.

On a far more important note, that link made me look up the jet from Hot Shots! to confirm it's not the same thing (it's not), which then led me to learn that the fictional jet in Hot Shots! was called the Phallus Tactical Jet. That movie series is a gift that keeps on giving.
2025 POM $$$, I believe. The story I have heard is the RFP (that’s the Navy’s formal Request for Proposals from industry, for the uninitiated) comes out next year, with an award in ‘25 and first deliveries in FY26. Of course there are likely multiple shutdowns and an extremely tumultuous election season ahead, so… we shall see.

It’s all not soon enough, in my opinion. The USN has been ignoring warning signs on the -45 for too long.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
2025 POM $$$, I believe. The story I have heard is the RFP (that’s the Navy’s formal Request for Proposals from industry, for the uninitiated) comes out next year, with an award in ‘25 and first deliveries in FY26. Of course there are likely multiple shutdowns and an extremely tumultuous election season ahead, so… we shall see.

It’s all not soon enough, in my opinion. The USN has been ignoring warning signs on the -45 for too long.
It’s been ignoring warning signs in pilot manning, too, and yet here we are. All 75% of us.

kejo

pilot
The Air Force’s replacement jet has actually been announced and their STILL not flying it. I’d be shocked if the Navy was able to down select, test, and field a suitable replacement in three years.
If the T-45 replacement replacement goes anything like the TH-73…they can go straight from “select” to “field” no problem! ?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
May I ask why...?
Based on timeline, it was either Operation “Enduring Training” on the Lincoln while missing the holidays at home waiting for TBD relief carrier (because God Forbid we not have a carrier in CENTCOM) and wondering about the resolution to “will they / won’t they” start yet another war with another country in the Middle East while doing absolute fuck all in terms of combat or theater security because the ship was stuffed in the proverbial corner of the Middle Eastern AO for 8 months straight. But the punchline was three “port calls” to Duqm, Oman.

Or

A pandemic deployment, which from what heard was even worse.

…yeah, I’m glad I got out. ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Based on timeline, it was either Operation “Enduring Training” on the Lincoln while missing the holidays at home waiting for TBD relief carrier (because God Forbid we not have a carrier in CENTCOM) and wondering about the resolution to “will they / won’t they” start yet another war with another country in the Middle East while doing absolute fuck all in terms of combat or theater security because the ship was stuffed in the proverbial corner of the Middle Eastern AO for 8 months straight. But the punchline was three “port calls” to Duqm, Oman.

Or

A pandemic deployment, which from what heard was even worse.

…yeah, I’m glad I got out. ?
It's funny how post-retirement you look back at certain things, certain mentalities, and certain practices and go "wow. That was really some unnecessary bullshit." But then I wonder if it's time to go on Amazon and order more beard balm or mustache wax for my glorious mane . . .

At least now, over three months after I retired, I finally got the damn NRC to stop calling me on drill weekends saying I was going to get a call from a doc to wrap up my virtual PHA.

"HM1, I answered the phone "CDR (Retired) @nittany03 for a reason. I retired in July."

"Oh, so that's why we can't find you in MRRS."

Sigh . . . ?‍♂️ Yes . . . yes it is.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It's funny how post-retirement you look back at certain things, certain mentalities, and certain practices and go "wow. That was really some unnecessary bullshit." But then I wonder if it's time to go on Amazon and order more beard balm or mustache wax for my glorious mane . . .

At least now, over three months after I retired, I finally got the damn NRC to stop calling me on drill weekends saying I was going to get a call from a doc to wrap up my virtual PHA.

"HM1, I answered the phone "CDR (Retired) @nittany03 for a reason. I retired in July."

"Oh, so that's why we can't find you in MRRS."

Sigh . . . ?‍♂️ Yes . . . yes it is.
Yeah…just try getting off the DoD National Capital Region alert list. I’ll be in my grave with some robotic voice telling me, “To acknowledge, Prezz 1”