• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Whats the process to get picked up for IFTR slot? Is it competitive ?
I'd ask the NASC staff. I am three years removed from NASC and the program was not a thing when I was going through. That said, the general consensus amongst those with wings is that is that the costs outweigh the benefits for the program.

Doback

Whats the process to get picked up for IFTR slot? Is it competitive ?
The first round was selected by whoever raised their hand first. Haven’t heard anything about another selection round and I think it filled up pretty fast the first time around.

villo0692

Makes me wonder if there is serious consideration underway to do helo selection out of NIFE -and use Primary only for Jet, Maritime, Plopters, E-2, etc.
As far as I know it’s voluntary if you want to fly nothing but helos. However, you can still select rotary out of primary if you want to, or your Top Gun dream was ruined by some of those 80NSS freaks of nature

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
As far as I know it’s voluntary if you want to fly nothing but helos. However, you can still select rotary out of primary if you want to, or your Top Gun dream was ruined by some of those 80NSS freaks of nature
I understand. My point was there are almost certainly analysts working on the scenario mandating Helo selection out of NIFE. Making in effect a new pipeline. I suspect this is going on in AF land too - as a way of gaining productivity in pilot production. Without going to a thread jack, there are likely quite a bit of number crunching going on as the challenges of retention and training production persist.

Revitalized

Makes me wonder if there is serious consideration underway to do helo selection out of NIFE -and use Primary only for Jet, Maritime, Plopters, E-2, etc.
I was wondering the same. I'm assuming that this round of selections for IFT-R will impact the availability of helo selections out of primary. Or maybe it doesn't and I'm putting too much thought into it. Probably insignificant at this stage, but it does make me curious if and when it becomes a regular thing with multiple selections throughout the year.

villo0692

I was wondering the same. I'm assuming that this round of selections for IFT-R will impact the availability of helo selections out of primary. Or maybe it doesn't and I'm putting too much thought into it. Probably insignificant at this stage, but it does make me curious if and when it becomes a regular thing with multiple selections throughout the year.
Don’t you want jets anyways? ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My point was there are almost certainly analysts working on the scenario mandating Helo selection out of NIFE.

I'm sure you're right, it will just be a while for them to see the full results. I'm guessing they'll be looking at the stage and test scores to see if it's worth the effort. I'd argue it's not a fair evaluation if you put them through a -57 syllabus, since the man-machine interface is more complicated on the -119. Then again, the -119 should be easier to fly in RIs.

I'm assuming that this round of selections for IFT-R will impact the availability of helo selections out of primary.

There are always helo spots available, you just might end up in a pool for a bit to get there.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I wouldn't be too worried about getting selected for helos out of Primary. I have never heard of the HTs turning people away. There probably was a time though. That said, what I would be worried about with respect to IFT-R is follow-on tour options after your JO tour. As a restricted Naval Aviator, you wouldn't really have any fixed-wing flying options available to you. Competition for flying orders can be stiff even with VTs in the mix due to the wardroom size of your neighborhood friendly HSM/HSC/HM squadron. Current helo pilots are unrestricted Naval Aviators since they all do their Primary training in the T-6B. That is what allows helo pilots to go instruct at the VTs and do those cool off the beaten path gigs like C-12s, C-26s, and flying FAO (which is a C-12 billet as well).

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
Speaking of early selections to helos, does anybody know if the anthro check done in the NIFE building is the final say on pipeline dqs or if that is done with the later visit to NAMI before classing up for NIFE? I received some interesting results and wondering if there’s another shot.