• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

Cowgirl

Okay, good to hear some understand that this is abnormal. I am PCSing back home until next summer :(

In the meantime I’ll use this time to spend time with my family, maybe get my private pilots liscense, and enjoy the perks of being paid to wait. Thanks again everyone. All info is welcome.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Okay, good to hear some understand that this is abnormal. I am PCSing back home until next summer :(

In the meantime I’ll use this time to spend time with my family, maybe get my private pilots liscense, and enjoy the perks of being paid to wait. Thanks again everyone. All info is welcome.
Are you PCSing back home as a paid ensign?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Focus on deep learning of all things aviation. Rules / charts / procedures / NATOPS / FAA.

MGoBrew11

pilot
The one I know of was circa 1970, though I think about 2006-ish they were cutting some folks loose if they wanted to before they even started flight school. It was around the time they sent ~60 or so folks straight to VR's as well.
Straight to VRs? To fly or just do admin stuff?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
My time in API involved an increase of the minimum passing score to have more pink slips. Can’t recall how many people failed out but it was noticeable.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not trying to criticize you or anything, but I think your comment is a good example of how what is happening hasn’t registered as abnormal yet. This isn’t a normal “on/off season” wait that these kids are having.

The current wait for NIFE/Primary will have kids putting on JG before they get in a T-6 in Milton. I And that is just the kids down there, they are cutting year plus PCS orders to send ENSs to out to various wings to free up space in the pool.

I complained about the wait with the best of them, but this is way worse.
One more reason why the fixed DOPMA career clock is a fucking stupid idea, and DoD should be going to Congress to get it changed.

exNavyOffRec

I knew some guys in the early to mid-90's who waited 18 to 30-something months to start. So yes, it has been this bad before. At least they aren't calling folks in an auditorium and pink-slipping 80% of them right then and there.
It could be worse, around 2011 I was getting calls from recent college grads that were supposed to commission via ROTC, I guess the Army over-estimated how many they needed as some were commissioned by straight into the NG others were not even given a commission just 4 years of college with no payback needed.

The shitty part was many of the ones I talked to were notified just a few days/weeks before graduation.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It could be worse, around 2011 I was getting calls from recent college grads that were supposed to commission via ROTC, I guess the Army over-estimated how many they needed as some were commissioned by straight into the NG others were not even given a commission just 4 years of college with no payback needed.

The shitty part was many of the ones I talked to were notified just a few days/weeks before graduation.

This happened with the Air Force / ROTC about 1-2 years ago.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Straight to VRs? To fly or just do admin stuff?
Straight to VR as a SELRES JG. It was definitely a thing in the '04-05 timeframe. It was a selection option out of Primary, and I think they went to Corpus, got winged, then went to polish up their airline apps.

IIRC they were obligated to 2 years active duty then 6 years SELRES in VR after winging. Someone mentioned on the site relatively recently that they were treated well in the VR squadrons and most they knew were happy with their choice.

My time in API involved an increase of the minimum passing score to have more pink slips. Can’t recall how many people failed out but it was noticeable.

Is that when the minimum passing average score was about 92 or so instead of the regular 80? When was that?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IIRC they were obligated to 2 years active duty then 6 years SELRES in VR after winging. Someone mentioned on the site relatively recently that they were treated well in the VR squadrons and most they knew were happy with their choice.
That's right; memory cells I probably haven't used in 15 years are being jogged loose now.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
So a 13 month TAD is normal? From what I’m hearing is that there are 1300 people already PCSd to PCola waiting in A pool.

Use this time and TAD to have fun and start good habits like others have said but also to learn "navy stuff" wherever you're stashed. It's free pro dev and a good chance to learn usefull things about navy life while no one expects anything from you. When you're in flight school you'll learn the aviation stuff but little else. When you get to the fleet you can use whatever you soaked up in this time. If you show up to your first squadron as a LT or close (due to whatever backups) right out of the FRS it's a bit more of a curve in some situations, and you can help yourself by having a little bit of an idea.

Just don't put your head in the sand and enjoy the money for nothing.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Straight to VR as a SELRES JG. It was definitely a thing in the '04-05 timeframe. It was a selection option out of Primary, and I think they went to Corpus, got winged, then went to polish up their airline apps.
Wow, what a deal

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, what a deal
Back then, DORs were getting let go no strings attached. Kids who attrited but wanted to keep serving in the AC had to fight for it. Do a deep search on the threads here from back then and you'll see it.