• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical

john_marcus

Im getting ready to go to OCS but before I go I am getting my flight physical. I broke my wrist a year and a half ago and I've recovered fully. I had screws in my wrist for 4 months then got them taken out. I can do 20 pullups with no problem and there are no noticeable scars . I have full function in my wrist now with no complications.Is there anyway they will Disqualify me?

MettGT

pilot
If you're fully functional now, you should be alright. I recommend bringing any sort of documentation you may have on it. Also, try the search function. I guarantee that someone has asked this type question before (x1000).

jfulginiti

pilot
None
SHOULDN'T be a problem but realize that when you eventually get to Pensacola, you will get another physical and the NOMI people can be brutal. I had a friend get NPQd because he passed a bladder stone at TBS. On the other hand, I have a friend who broke his leg real bad at TBS and still has a metal rod in it. He's been flying since then with no issues. I also flew with him when he had two broken hands but that's another story.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, they can be brutal, but with most medical issues, the rule of thumb seems to be: is it causing you pain or restricting your mobility? Is it an ongoing or recurring condition? Will it impair your ability to fly (operate all the controls, pull G, valsalva, eject, etc) or go on deployment? If "no" to all of the above, you're pretty much good to go.

Kidney stones are an issue for the Docs because if you've had them once, you can get them again and they can reoccur without warning.

If you've made a full recovery from your broken wrist and have no movement issues, then bring all your paperwork but I can't see it'd be an issue. I went through the VT's with a guy who was missing his pinky (childhood farm accident). He said the Docs just kinda shrugged and said they couldn't think of anything you'd need your pinky for in the plane anyway.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kidney stones are an issue for the Docs because if you've had them once, you can get them again and they can reoccur without warning.
Once you get winged, the rules change a bit. I think it's because A) they have more money invested in you, and B) it's more normal to see them at the older ages of winged aviators than it is in a 20-year-old applicant. I guess the younger you get them, the more chance there is to have another as you age. I know several aviators who are med up after kidney stones. Depending on the type of stone, the docs can give you meds to alter the chemistry of your urine, and prevent a recurrence.

Bottom line is: STAY HYDRATED AT ALL TIMES.

<-- Had complications from surgery to remove stones and get med up . . . now in NAMI hell

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mrs Fester had a kidney stone attack while at the RAG (pre-wings). The type of stone does make a difference in the diagnosis. In her case, they gave her a long list of things not to drink - apparently, drinking lots of iced tea can cause stones - and told her that if she had another attack, she'd be permanently non-deployable. Non-deployable for a FO = flying's done.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hydration!

I know several aviators who are med up after kidney stones. Depending on the type of stone, the docs can give you meds to alter the chemistry of your urine, and prevent a recurrence.

Bottom line is: STAY HYDRATED AT ALL TIMES.

<-- Had complications from surgery to remove stones and get med up . . . now in NAMI hell

I got 'em on eve of Desert Shield but not hydrating properly at Nellis AFB. This was before water bottles were everywhere (I learned Coca-Cola does not count for hydration, in fact caffiene accelerates dehydration). Doc said they could blast em and I'd go through a bit of hassle to get med up, they could cut 'em and risk being down for a year+ or pass 'em and be good to go as soon as I got a clean KUB xray. This happened on Saturday before JFK left on Tuesday for points East. I was on morphine that night and off it and on my feet Monday drinking gallons of water to pass the rest of the suckers, which I did in time to catch next airlift to Sig and take a COD out to the boat as it passed through the Med. On advice of Wing, I didn't have an up chit yet as they said CAG could agree it was Operational Necessity for me to fly and his Doc could sign off. Went straight to see them both and CAG asked if I wanted to fly. I said "Hell yes". Doc signed chit and I was good to go.

Ever since, I hydrate religiously (once you've passed a stone, you don't ever want to go there again). When I got to ship, I found we had embarked a SEAL Platoon that visited our Ready Room and gave a Desert Survival brief. Platoon Leader emphasized hydration and carrying allt he water tyou can possibly carry (setting off a competition in the squadron to cram more water into our flight gear).

Good rule of thumb: If your urine is NOT clear, you are not hydrated. Load up until it is and then maintain (too much hydration will dilute other things you need like electrolytes/sodium).

Trev82

pilot
everyone goes into physicals wondering if they're going to find something, i just had my annual about 2 months into primary and wondered if i was going to have high eye pressure, blood pressure, blah blah blah and came out ok. You just need to go for it, and stay healthy, i have definitely upped my spinach intake since i've been here

torpedo0126

everyone goes into physicals wondering if they're going to find something, i just had my annual about 2 months into primary and wondered if i was going to have high eye pressure, blood pressure, blah blah blah and came out ok. You just need to go for it, and stay healthy, i have definitely upped my spinach intake since i've been here

right there with you. I found out that I am EXTREMELY sensitive to sodium intake. Raises my BP to 140 systolic if I have more than 2000mg. About 3 weeks before physicals I go all out with veggies and fruits.

NAMI will definitely hit people with random things. Know one person who was NPQed for eczema.

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
Speaking of flight physicals; I?m going back to PLC Seniors this summer (2nd Increment/ Air contract) and I graduate in December of this year. I haven?t had a flight physical yet and am curious if I should have it done before I commission. My OSO hasn?t spoke much about it, but it seems like it?s something pretty important to have completed before I sign my life away to the Corps!

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Speaking of flight physicals; I?m going back to PLC Seniors this summer (2nd Increment/ Air contract) and I graduate in December of this year. I haven?t had a flight physical yet and am curious if I should have it done before I commission. My OSO hasn?t spoke much about it, but it seems like it?s something pretty important to have completed before I sign my life away to the Corps!

I think you have a misplaced key on your keyboard. Either that or a misplaced pinkie finger on your right hand........ which would almost certainly make you NPQ for aviation.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I have a screw in my elbow. I fractured my elbow while pitching during my sophomore year of high school and I still have it in. I've passed all my flight physicals with no problem.

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
Hey don't blame me, blame the computer! I happen to be an excellent typist. It just so happend that when I pre-typed my post in my now not so trusty word processor to avoid errors, the copy paste function replaced all my ' with ''?''. I appreciate the concern though. You wouldn't by any chance have an answer to my question would you?

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I think flight physicals are arranged around your birthday. I had an initial flight physical in April for my pilot slot, and had to get another one when I reported in January because it was past my birthday (December), even though it had been less than year when I got one.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Hey don't blame me, blame the computer! I happen to be an excellent typist. It just so happend that when I pre-typed my post in my now not so trusty word processor to avoid errors, the copy paste function replaced all my ' with ''?''. I appreciate the concern though. You wouldn't by any chance have an answer to my question would you?

Well, I did PLC Senior in 1998 but I'll do my best. In my case, I got my first flight physical AFTER getting commissioned. I was a ground contract at TBS because they didn't have NFO contracts back then. I told my SPC I wanted to be an NFO and he said as long as I could pass the test and physical I would get it because they were taking as many NFOs as they could get. I had already passed the test before TBS so I went over to HMX-1 right there at the Quantico airfield, saw the flight doc and got my flight physical.

I guess it couldn't hurt to get it before commissioning if you can arrange it. Don't be surprised if you have to do another one (or more) before starting API.