• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical, help needed!

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I scanned mine and emailed it. I got an email confirmation a littl eless than an hour later. BY FAR THE FASTEST METHOD TO GET IT THERE!!!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Ok, so I got MOST of my flight physical done today (still have to do dental because the DT that is on calll at Aviation Medicine left early and while I was at the Immunization center, so I missed my chance at getting her to review my dental record today!) but there was one concern. My uncorrected vision is apparently 20/20 near and 20/25 distant, so I have been prescribed glasses. Now I was told by the LT at Optometry that this will NOT disqualify me for aviation, but I just want to hear from other people who may be in similar situations if you were still cleared to fly despite having a slight vision deficency? Everything else went fine, I've got good ears, a strong heart and my color vision and depth perception are fine, I just have a slight focusing problem at a distance that I never knew about! Any thoughts? :confused:

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Ok, so I got MOST of my flight physical done today (still have to do dental because the DT that is on calll at Aviation Medicine left early and while I was at the Immunization center, so I missed my chance at getting her to review my dental record today!) but there was one concern. My uncorrected vision is apparently 20/20 near and 20/25 distant, so I have been prescribed glasses. Now I was told by the LT at Optometry that this will NOT disqualify me for aviation, but I just want to hear from other people who may be in similar situations if you were still cleared to fly despite having a slight vision deficency? Everything else went fine, I've got good ears, a strong heart and my color vision and depth perception are fine, I just have a slight focusing problem at a distance that I never knew about! Any thoughts? :confused:

The vision requirements are discussed extensively around here. I believe there is a sticky that tries to keep up with the latest and greatest.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot

I had 20/25 in both eyes distant, given glasses, sent to primary, told to wear glasses while flying and sent on my merry way. I subsequently tested at 20/20 half way through primary (I don't know how) and no longer have to wear glasses while flying. I am no authority on this, but from my experience I will say that you can be an SNA with 20/25 (I think as bad as 20/40) so long as it is correctable. Now relax bud and congrats on the acceptance to ODU.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
The vision requirements are discussed extensively around here. I believe there is a sticky that tries to keep up with the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the tip! According to the sticky: "SNA vision requirement 20/40 correctable to 20/20, PRK waiver possible." so it looks like I'm good to go!! :D

cgoetz

For the flight physical, does anyone know if the FAA is involved in this process or is it just the Navy that handles it?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
For the flight physical, does anyone know if the FAA is involved in this process or is it just the Navy that handles it?
If you are talking about the flight physical for IFS, then it must be conducted by a Dr approved by the FAA, he/she may be a Navy flight surgeon, but not necessarily. If you are talking about the flight physical for API and beyond then it is handled by the Navy exclusively.