• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical, help needed!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Ok guys, some of you are already aware that I'm having one hell of a time trying to get a flight physical scheduled and I need some help/advice that I can take to the deck plates on my boat to get this figured out! Here's my dilemma as it has transpired thus far:

1) I called Sewells Point to schedule an appointment for a flight physical and they told me that because I'm on a ship I can't schedule my own appointment for a flight physical and that I need a referral from my ship's medical dept.

2) So I talked with the HMC and HM2 at my ship's medical office and explained to them what was told to me by Sewells Point and they said they can't do referrals/consults for aviation medicine!! They told me to just "walk-in at 0700 when they open and see what happens!"

3) At this point I decided to involve my LCPO, who immedicately talked with the HMC and came back and told me that the HMC told him that I had to go make an appointment with Optometry @ Portsmouth and get an "Aviation eye exam" and then do separate walk-ins @ Sewells Point for blood work, chest x-rays and dental check-up, and then HMC would make me an appointment @ RSO for an EKG. Only after I do all of that can I go back to Sewells Point to have a flight surgeon review all of the results and approve me for flight duty.

4) Despite finding this hard to believe because everyone else that I've spoken to whom have already completed their flight physicals said they just called in an appointment and went and did everything in one day, done deal, I called Portsmouth and they said that not only do that not conduct "Aviation eye exams," but that they've NEVER heard of one!!

6) So I went back to ship's medical and told the HMC what I was told by Portmouth and he just gave me this blank stare. Then he pulled out my medical and dental records and handed them to me and said "I guess you'll just have to try and do a walk-in."

7) So I hop on the internet and look up Sewells Point's website and sure enough, in black and white on the home page, it states that flight physicals are by appointment only!!! I printed out the page and brought it to my LCPO and he said he'd go talk to the HMC again, but this was this past friday afternoon and the HMC was already gone by that time!

So basically I have no clue what I'm supposed to do in order to get this flight physical taken care of. My ship's medical dept. is full of incompetence and Sewells Point doesn't seem to care and still refuses to allow me to schedule my own appointment. Can anyone help me out and provide any advice on how I should go about getting this problem resolved before it's too late and I end up DQ'd from STA because I didn't get my forms in on time???

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your ship's medical department simply needs to pick up the phone and call sewell's point for the referral. Has the HMC not thought about doing that???

If you continue to get stonewalled, PM me.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are multiple clinics in the Norfolk area. Have you considered talking with Oceana? Most clinics (I guess not Sewell's PT) have a normal walk-in Flight Physical day....Ours were usually done on Fridays at 0700. Call around and you might find alternate locations to get your physical completed. Remember to fast for 12 hours prior. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
What about Porsmouth Hospital? Is there anything there?

If worse comes to worse, just pick up the phone and call Sewells Point yourself and "pretend you somebody else". Your situation is definately a tough one.. Good luck..

haubby

None
Contributor
The entire physical is done at Sewells Point. You'll come in at 6:15am (don't be late) and they will conduct the entire physical onsite. They have all the paperwok but ensure you are there for a commisioning/flight physical. They will make you walk over to Dental/Radiology/Audio/Optometry etc to have each person sign the appropriate block and conduct that part of the physical. The actual physical is by appt only. When you go around to the different offices with your paperwork, that is done as a walk-in status. The process is tedious because there is alot of waiting involved. I had mine done Friday and am glad its over.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
You can also get the exam done at Oceana. I called and told them I needed it for STA-21 and made sure they knew I needed it done ASAP. I got an appointment scheduled for about 3 weeks from the day I called (they are usually pretty busy). They only do them on Tuesdays starting at 0645. If you need the number to Aviation Medicine directly, just contact me (PM, call, etc.).

OneBadSSS

I'd like to send a big thank you out to Haubby for doing what my medical staff couldn't (which is sorry if you ask me!!) and that is getting me an appointment for a flight physical! I'm going under the microscope this Friday and then I can send off that paperwork and be good to go as I've already sent off my acceptance letter and degree plan for ODU!

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Did you send the information to STA-21 yourself or did you send it via your command? Oh, yea and did you send the original documents or copies of them? Good luck on the physical this Friday, don't make any plans until late afternoon. I did mine yesterday and was at medical from 0630 until 1430. Be prepared to sit around a lot, get lots of blood drawn (do it early so you can eat something sooner), and your eyes nit-picked! Get plenty of rest and stay hydrated so your eyes are in good shape going in too.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you run into those problems again, perhaps engage your DivO or CPO to assist you with a phone call or two.

OneBadSSS

Did you send the information to STA-21 yourself or did you send it via your command? Oh, yea and did you send the original documents or copies of them? Good luck on the physical this Friday, don't make any plans until late afternoon. I did mine yesterday and was at medical from 0630 until 1430. Be prepared to sit around a lot, get lots of blood drawn (do it early so you can eat something sooner), and your eyes nit-picked! Get plenty of rest and stay hydrated so your eyes are in good shape going in too.

Thanks for the tips! And to answer your question, I sent the degree plan and acceptance letter myself and not via my command as I don't think it really matters who it comes from, so long as they get it. Also, I sent them copies and kept the originals, just incase they don't receive them and I have to resend!

k_smittay

When sending your physical forms to florida, ensure that the copy you send is a "certified copy". If you need to certify it, your admin officer will happily do it upon request.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Everything can be faxed. In fact the SMO has to keep the originals for your records. I had everything faxed and less than a week later BUMED certified it. Now if only some of these colleges would start sending acceptance letters. I've done everything to get the decision expedited, and they are should be here by next week, but it is still nerve racking seeing two of the five requirments with data not available. I just don't want to be conditional anymore. Does anyone know how to request orders once everything is in???

OneBadSSS

Everything can be faxed. In fact the SMO has to keep the originals for your records. I had everything faxed and less than a week later BUMED certified it. Now if only some of these colleges would start sending acceptance letters. I've done everything to get the decision expedited, and they are should be here by next week, but it is still nerve racking seeing two of the five requirments with data not available. I just don't want to be conditional anymore. Does anyone know how to request orders once everything is in???

I hear you on not wanting to be "conditional" anymore! It just doesn't feel like it's for real until the orders are in hand. Speaking of which, it seems as though the Board will take care of getting orders cut for you once they have received all of the required paperwork...

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Also, I sent them copies and kept the originals, just incase they don't receive them and I have to resend!

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, just wanted to make sure.

When sending your physical forms to florida, ensure that the copy you send is a "certified copy". If you need to certify it, your admin officer will happily do it upon request.

Thanks for the heads up, I thought of that after I had posted my original questions. "Doc" told me it usually takes 2-3 weeks for all the blood work to come back and the forms to get typed up so it will be a while before I can send it in.

Everything can be faxed.

That's awesome, I'm going to have to look into that! It would be so much easier to fax everything on the DSN line from work instead of mailing it all. Thanks for the help guys!

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
I did not send my forms to Ed Staten with a "certified" stamp. None of my prior Aircrew NOMI stuff needed to be certified and it goes to the same folks. That being said, it sounds like a good idea to have them certified to be a true copy.

However...

I am not a Doctor, and I assume the majority of us in here are not .
(I know, I'm about to be flammed for this one)
The flight surgeon who stamped and signed it has a lot of contact with NOMI, and that rubber stamp and signature should be more than sufficent. It should have come directly from your medical record anyway.

I just wanted to share my thoughts!