• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical and "Cubitus Valgus"?

lthc34

So I just found out today that I have this condition called "Cubitus Valgus", where my forearm protrudes at a different angle than my upper arm, basically my arm isn't straight.
300px-Cubitus_varus_and_cubitus_valgus.png

Does anyone know if anyone has been NPQ'd for this, or if anyone has this condition? I saw in one forum that some people got medically disqualified for this condition in the Indian Air Force and Navy.

lthc34

Well, it doesn't affect the length of my arm, but it'd probably worry the flight surgeon if he/she saw my arm looked like that. Maybe I can conceal it? There aren't any symptoms to it, it just makes my arm look abnormal.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Well, it doesn't affect the length of my arm, but it'd probably worry the flight surgeon if he/she saw my arm looked like that. Maybe I can conceal it? There aren't any symptoms to it, it just makes my arm look abnormal.
You should consider taking a deep, cleansing breath until you get a definitive answer from a qualified flight surgeon . . . .

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Doesn't come up anywhere in MANMED Ch 15 or in NAMI waiver guide. I assume the OP did his/her searching before asking us to make him/her feel better.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would a flight surgeon even recognize it unless it was previously diagnosed?

exNavyOffRec

Doesn't come up anywhere in MANMED Ch 15 or in NAMI waiver guide. I assume the OP did his/her searching before asking us to make him/her feel better.

Not everything is in there, but that isn't a good thing since if it isn't in there then the CYA thing to do is say "no"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My thought is that it would get noticed during the measurements part when they have you sit in different positions, or at MEPS when they have you do all those weird things they do.

True, but I wouldn't be surprised if folks didn't know either.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Anthro measurements have more to do with functional reach as opposed to "perfect geometry." If your arm setup can still reach per the anthro measurements I don't see what the issue would be. But I'm not a flight doc. Bottom line: don't sweat it. Apply and let the professionals make their assessment when the time comes.

If the physical forms don't specifically ask about this condition I'd be hesitant to offer it up. If I may ask, how do you even find out that you have this? Is it actually a "condition" or just a way to describe how you're built?

lthc34

Anthro measurements have more to do with functional reach as opposed to "perfect geometry." If your arm setup can still reach per the anthro measurements I don't see what the issue would be. But I'm not a flight doc. Bottom line: don't sweat it. Apply and let the professionals make their assessment when the time comes.

If the physical forms don't specifically ask about this condition I'd be hesitant to offer it up. If I may ask, how do you even find out that you have this? Is it actually a "condition" or just a way to describe how you're built?
No, it's actually a condition. But I don't experience any symptoms from it.