• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight instruction for military aviators

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Does anyone have any good gouge/ source publications on flight instruction? In the Navy I think sometimes we fall prey to the trap of "you are good at this, so now teach it" without providing instructors any real guidance on how to instruct. The attached USAF document is the best thing I've found so far, so.. what else to y'all have?

Attachments

• 434 IP Guide.pdf
    525.5 KB · Views: 40

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
FAA Fundamentals of Instruction is a good one. It got put on the required reading list for new CNATRA instructors a few years ago (not that there is 100% compliance with that reading list, let's not be naïve, and it's not enforced so much as encouraged).

edit: @taxi1 beat me to it

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Another followup, in naval flight training there used to be "P-905 Aviation Instructor's Handbook" that had a lot of good stuff (and, well, a lot of stuff) about learning, teaching, a bit of psych/human factors stuff too. It got rescinded at some point and I don't know what they give out these days that takes its place- probably the FAA handbook though. The NASA facilitator's manual was another good one, in the flight instructor course they used to give out a hardcopy of that (about 50 pages). You'd have to ask someone who's gone through FITC in the last five years or so whether you still get a short stack of paper pubs or if you get a list of pretty good web links in your welcome aboard packet.

Here's the link for that NASA manual: https://hsi.arc.nasa.gov/flightcognition/Publications/Final_Training_TM.pdf

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Thanks for the replies! I will give P-905 a Google, and I look forward to anything else folks may be able to contribute.