• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flameouts...

MasterBates

Riding in sucks.

Done twice. Once was a textbook auto, once was not. I broke my femur. It sucked.

Fly, it was off Route 80 in Kingston near Sacred Heart, so you can envision my landing choices on that one..

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Riding in sucks.

Done twice. Once was a textbook auto, once was not. I broke my femur. It sucked.

Fly, it was off Route 80 in Kingston near Sacred Heart, so you can envision my landing choices on that one..

Aside from cranberry bogs, there ARE no choices in MA... so many trees...

MasterBates

60ish foot pine trees.... Bad day.. They actually got the airframe back up and flying 3 years later.

The fact that we all lived is a testament to the toughness of the Bell 204/Huey airframe.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Had the FAA come in once at a safety stand down at Whidbey and go over the local civilian mishaps. Usual stuff except the helo that practiced an auto rotation into a field. Alas those weren't weeds sticking up in the field but pieces of rebar out of some old construction. Pierced the floor and entered the cockpit of that Robertson in about ten places. luckily no one got a iron rod enema.:eek:

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
It happened the other day and thank god it was on a 90 auto...IP took it to a full, no harm, no foul. This was 1.3 hrs into the X (FAM 5, C4101) and the student had already done EPs through the channel

That was my instructor and Fam partner, about five minutes before they came in to pick me up at Spencer. As far as engine failures go, I don't think it gets much better than happening in the middle of a practice 90 Auto. Instructor initially called on UHF that he was restarting due to the student inadvertently rolling the twist grip to close, but the student looked down and saw that the grip was still cracked open, so they decided to call it a day. I haven't flown with many instructors (read any aside from onwing) but if I ever have to ride one in, I'd want my onwing to be the one on the controls. I think he has mad skillz.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
That was my instructor and Fam partner, about five minutes before they came in to pick me up at Spencer. As far as engine failures go, I don't think it gets much better than happening in the middle of a practice 90 Auto. Instructor initially called on UHF that he was restarting due to the student inadvertently rolling the twist grip to close, but the student looked down and saw that the grip was still cracked open, so they decided to call it a day. I haven't flown with many instructors (read any aside from onwing) but if I ever have to ride one in, I'd want my onwing to be the one on the controls. I think he has mad skillz.

Thats why you buy them alcohol when you get winged...cause they kept you from dying till you learned how to do it yourself.

In all, I have had 12 "situations" requiring NATOPS type steps being taken in advanced...luckily none this bad

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

I'm right now figuring out who you are and will be flying you offwing. As soon as I get back from TAD. ;)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
A little follow up:

799ed. Meaning, maintenance could not duplicate gripe. There's not a question that the engine flamed out and there was "buildup" on the cable that may have allowed the TG to roll past the idle detent.

They removed, rewired, cleaned, etc. and reinstalled fuel control unit and all mechanical connections. It's in FCF status right now, but they plan on flying it tomorrow and issuing it again on Friday.

Just be safe and fly every auto as if it were the real thing and you'll be fine. No rebar fields in Milton.

~D

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
A signoff code best used for avionics type gripes. Not so confidence inspiring for powerplant issues.

How did they get the aircraft back to NDZ....truck?

Yeah, after the mishap, truck-of-shame rides have become the perferred way to get an aircaft home.