• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flameouts...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Just wanted to let the population know...

The mighty TH-57 is prone to a flameout every once in a while...

It happened the other day and thank god it was on a 90 auto...IP took it to a full, no harm, no foul. This was 1.3 hrs into the X (FAM 5, C4101) and the student had already done EPs through the channel. The IP commented that many of the simulated Engine Failures earlier in the day in the channel weren't flown very well (kinda to be expected on a FAM 5 I guess...) and would have resulted in missing the field had the engine actually quit...

Just makes you think...as an IP, I'd rather not find out if I can restart it from 400' with 2000'/min rate of descent...do every auto as if it were the real thing and hit the field.

~D

MasterBates

Just makes you think...as an IP, I'd rather not find out if I can restart it from 400' with 2000'/min rate of descent...do every auto as if it were the real thing and hit the field.

~D

As someone who lost an engine at 300 AGL in a Bell 206(over a corn field thank god), you don't have a chance of an airstart.

Chunks that is the best advice to helo bubbas ever. And for you FW/Primary studs, do EVERY LAPL-P, HAPL, LAPL and PPEL like it counts. Becasue, sometimes the engine just does not spool back up.

phrogpilot73

Chunks that is the best advice to helo bubbas ever. And for you FW/Primary studs, do EVERY LAPL-P, HAPL, LAPL and PPEL like it counts. Becasue, sometimes the engine just does not spool back up.
And sometimes, it takes you so long to identify what's wrong, you overtemp/overspeed the engine... Not that I would ;)

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
ever seen a chicken heart?
(its kinda like a martian brain)

//threadjacking my own thread

One of my favorites growing up...chicken heart soup. My mother grew up in Amish Country, PA.

[/threadjack]
~D