• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flame arrestor

goose18557

I4101 and counting down
what does a flame arrestor on a t-34 do. How do they work. What triggers them. Any information about them would be appreciated.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
it prevents gay people from flying the plane?:eek:

I'm not sure how it works but it's purpose is to prevent a flame from traveling up a fuel line into the fuel tank. Not entirely sure how a flame could travel up a fuel line that's packed full of fuel and no O2.

KSUFLY

pilot
Think of a drip torch. The pipe has a simple curl in the line to keep the air and fuel from mixing in the pipe and allowing the flame to travel up the pipe into the tank. I THINK a flame arrestor works in the same way...

Malice 1

pilot
Think of a drip torch. The pipe has a simple curl in the line to keep the air and fuel from mixing in the pipe and allowing the flame to travel up the pipe into the tank. I THINK a flame arrestor works in the same way...

I'm pretty sure your right. I've always wondered though: does it keep fire out, or keep it in?

KSUFLY

pilot
Typically a flame arrestor would keep fire out of an area and in another area. Goose, it's more of a mechanical thing and so nothing triggers it. It's always there and always ready to arrest the flame.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I may be throwing a monkey wrench into this whole debate, but as my onwing in primary explained it to me: think shrink wrap. It's actually a plastic tube that when exposed to the heat of a flame shrinks down and cuts off fuel flow and doesn't allow a fire to progress farther up the fuel line. Not mechancial at all.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Go ask one of the maintainers. They'll tell you in two seconds.

Funny you should mention that...when I was in Primary I asked a maintainer how it worked and the first two didn't know...the third told me not to worry about it, and the forth finally told me. Unfortunately I don't remember the answer...

winger

FNG
It's a metal alloy that differs from the rest of the plumbing in that it is less durable, but when exposed to extreme temperature, will collapse to cut off flow.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
I may be throwing a monkey wrench into this whole debate, but as my onwing in primary explained it to me: think shrink wrap. It's actually a plastic tube that when exposed to the heat of a flame shrinks down and cuts off fuel flow and doesn't allow a fire to progress farther up the fuel line. Not mechancial at all.

Erroneous! Erroneous! Erroneous on both accounts. That was my onwing and you know it and the correct analogy was Shrinky Dinks not shrink wrap.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Erroneous! Erroneous! Erroneous on both accounts. That was my onwing and you know it and the correct analogy was Shrinky Dinks not shrink wrap.

Shrinky Dinks! That was it. I fall on my sword of unrighteousness for not having remembered that.