• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flame arrestor

Rubiks06

pilot
I tore NATOPS apart went to 3 diffrent maintainers and a few diffrerent IPS ive yet to have someone tell me how it works. Everyone thinks they know or has an idea but no one could tell me for sure.

Junior

pilot
Is knowing how this works going to help you fly? Is there any instrument/gauge in the cockpit which tells you the state of the flame arrestor? Study your procedures more. (I understand your onwing probably asked you about it and you need to find an answer. This is precisely the stuff, in my young opinion, that does not affect your performance/flying ability.)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
It's the TRACOM mentaility man. You could probably build a T-34 in Primary, from memory. In the Hornet either it works or it dosen't, I can't tell you how most of the shit works, nor do I have any control over it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's the TRACOM mentaility man. You could probably build a T-34 in Primary, from memory. In the Hornet either it works or it dosen't, I can't tell you how most of the shit works, nor do I have any control over it.

Easy there. It's not the TRACOM, it's certain people in the TRACOM.

I tore NATOPS apart went to 3 diffrent maintainers and a few diffrerent IPS ive yet to have someone tell me how it works. Everyone thinks they know or has an idea but no one could tell me for sure.

Perhaps this is an indication of how important the knowledge really is. As in not so much.

JackyB

FYI- $.02
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Used in a variety of applications, flame arrestors are designed to extinguish any flame which would try to pass through it. Also known as Breathers or Vent Plugs, these safety devices are normally required by the various approval agencies when flammable gases are present in your system. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They are incorporated in pipelines, ducts, vents, gas analyzers, vapor recovery systems, aircraft fuel systems, and any other areas requiring flame protection."[/FONT]
from The GW Lisk Company Inc.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Is knowing how this works going to help you fly? Is there any instrument/gauge in the cockpit which tells you the state of the flame arrestor? Study yor procedures more. (I understand your onwing probably asked you about it and you need to find an answer. This is precisely the stuff, in my young opinion, that does not affect your performance/flying ability.)

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner. My attitude exactly. There are a few guys (cough! cough! P3 HSL cough!) that may care, but for the most part not so much.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner. My attitude exactly. There are a few guys (cough! cough! P3 HSL cough!) that may care, but for the most part not so much.

I don't know that the P-3 guys care. I think it's more one of those FYI things. I don't think anyone in the history of flight school has ever been graded lower because they didn't know exactly how a flame arrestor was made.

Junior

pilot
I just have a problem with people preparing more for the "trivia" thrown at them in the brief than they do for the actual flight. **This is by no means an excuse for not knowing/blowing off systems knowledge**

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There are a few guys (cough! cough! P3 HSL cough!) that may care, but for the most part not so much.

Do you see this w/ HSL guys? I know historically we're notorious for this, at least w/in the community, but I was just thinking about the couple of HSL buds in my squadron and they seem pretty laid back, system-wise. Just curious if you're seeing something different.

Junior, I agree. I think some of the studying for the trivia comes from a self-imposed expectation from the student. Unfortunately, some of it comes from the occasional IP.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I think some of the studying for the trivia comes from a self-imposed expectation from the student. Unfortunately, some of it comes from the occasional IP.
I would agree with you on that. I know that I have found myself wasting time studying trivia info and very rarely do I get asked one of these questions. I guess it just come from trying to be ready for anything.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Do you see this w/ HSL guys? I know historically we're notorious for this, at least w/in the community, but I was just thinking about the couple of HSL buds in my squadron and they seem pretty laid back, system-wise. Just curious if you're seeing something different.

Junior, I agree. I think some of the studying for the trivia comes from a self-imposed expectation from the student. Unfortunately, some of it comes from the occasional IP.

No, not really, and I actually rarely see it from P3 guys. I was just keeding. Honestly, I don't really think it matters what community guys are coming from, there are just systems nazis out there who trivialize. Those guys are out there in TACAMO too, although they are scorned and ridiculed until they shut up.
With a few exceptions, I think everyone is pretty much on the same page with T-34 systems. As long as my students have a solid understanding of how things basically work, I am good with it.
On a separate note, I have seen a lot of "my on-wing yelled at me" posts. Does this really happen? I have given guys a "wag of the finger" before and the whole "I am so dissapointed" speech (mainly onwings), but never raised my voice or thrown things. Just curious....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I just have a problem with people preparing more for the "trivia" thrown at them in the brief than they do for the actual flight. **This is by no means an excuse for not knowing/blowing off systems knowledge**

I agree with junior here as well. Extra knowledge, fine, but does it help when the shit hits the fan? At VAW-120, we used to get asked all sorts of ridiculous crap that while flying, taxiing, pre-flighting, etc it would never mean help you with anything. For example, the C-2 had an Alpha shaft and beta shaft with 5 cams on each. It was a big deal to many IP's and especially the sim IP's (one inparticular) what they were. Knowing them couldn't help you in any situation at any time. Study what helps you fly, know systems that will save you or at least allow you to know what is happening during an emergency or why we do the steps of an EP.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with junior here as well. Extra knowledge, fine, but does it help when the shit hits the fan? At VAW-120, we used to get asked all sorts of ridiculous crap that while flying, taxiing, pre-flighting, etc it would never mean help you with anything. For example, the C-2 had an Alpha shaft and beta shaft with 5 cams on each. It was a big deal to many IP's and especially the sim IP's (one inparticular) what they were. Knowing them couldn't help you in any situation at any time. Study what helps you fly, know systems that will save you or at least allow you to know what is happening in during an emergency or why we do the steps of an EP.

I think there are those IPs that try to make up for being 1, crappy officers and 2. marginal instructors by throwing up the minutiae smoke and mirrors to deflect the student from realizing points 1 and 2.