• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

fixed wing vs. helo

mcmapislife

oorah gents;

i kno i'm settin myself up by askin a stupid question, but i'm a PLC candidate and prior service marine, i kno that i don't even get to make a decision on which airplane i would like to fly until later on in the pipeline, but i thought i'd ask anyways. My first question is:

1. When do you decide between fixed wing or helo, and how often do you get your pick?

2. In the opinion of those who have tasted a little bit of both sides, which is better, helos or fixed wing?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Moving this over to "Military Aviation..." Recommend a search and you'll find LOTS of answers.

phrogpilot73

Recommend a search and you'll find LOTS of answers.
Agreed.

oorah gents;
Ummm, OK...

i don't even get to make a decision on which airplane i would like to fly until later on in the pipeline, but i thought i'd ask anyways.
You don't really "make a decision", you select preferences. Needs of the service dictate what you fly.

1. When do you decide between fixed wing or helo, and how often do you get your pick?
At the end of Primary you put in your preferences. This is a one-time deal (notwithstanding transitions).

2. In the opinion of those who have tasted a little bit of both sides, which is better, helos or fixed wing?
Everyone will tell you the other is better. You will love what you fly. Even Master Bates, deep down, in places he doesn't talk about at parties, loved flying HSL... :)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You don't really "make a decision", you select preferences. Needs of the service dictate what you fly.

The way we phrased it when we had selection was that we were "getting selected" instead of it being "our" selection.

The past few weeks most people haven't been getting what they've wanted so that seems to fit, at least for now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The past few weeks most people haven't been getting what they've wanted ...

You mean being able to graduate Primary and then move one step closer to your wings? That's tough.

Not directed specifically at you, IBB, but come on, let's keep things in perspective.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even Master Bates, deep down, in places he doesn't talk about at parties, loved flying HSL... :)

First of all, that assumes that Master is invited/allowed into parties... but I digress.

Original poster... sometimes (always) the Navy/Marine Corps chooses for you where they want you. And sometimes that turns out to be a helluva lot better deal than what you originally put down on paper come selection time. Would I have evered wanted to fly CODs over jets? Hell no. But now if I were to go back and get to select myself, I would have put E2/C2 as my top pick. In my opinion nothing beats what I do!

You ask the helo bubbas and a large number of them will claim what they do is the best there is. You ask A4s and he'll tell you that he flew the best damn plane around. Do you see our drift here? You'll have the same emotions on a day to day basis (good and the bad) no matter what platform you end up on. Cheers.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You mean being able to graduate Primary and then move one step closer to your wings? That's tough.

Gator, good point, I worded that a poorly. It is about perspective.

To the OP, let me rephrase, everyone I know has been finishing primary, heading off to advanced, and is still trucking along towards wings. That in mind, it may be a little bit of a different route than they wanted, but (me included) are much happier to be flying than anything else.

Good luck, whatever you fly, it'll be a good thing to do.

phrogpilot73

And sometimes that turns out to be a helluva lot better deal than what you originally put down on paper come selection time. Would I have evered wanted to fly CODs over jets? Hell no. But now if I were to go back and get to select myself, I would have put E2/C2 as my top pick. In my opinion nothing beats what I do!

You ask the helo bubbas and a large number of them will claim what they do is the best there is. You ask A4s and he'll tell you that he flew the best damn plane around. Do you see our drift here? You'll have the same emotions on a day to day basis (good and the bad) no matter what platform you end up on. Cheers.
Agree wholeheartedly with this post! My first choice out of Primary was indeed helos (when I started API I wanted Jets, but by about FAM 3 in Primary I wanted helos). CH-46E's East (what I got) was my fifth choice. If I had it to do all over again, I would put Phrogs East as my first choice. You will love it, no matter what.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Show me one person who is unhappy with their selection and I will show you one who attrited that would do anything to trade places.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
Just curious, how many people who wanted jets/props DOR in Helo's? Is it pretty rare?

My gut tells me that it is, but we had one who wanted C-130's, got helo's, and DOR'd. There was another guy that wanted jets, didn't get it, and then attrited before Fam 4 in helos. I think he just gave up and didn't try after he didn't get jets. Both of these occured within about 2 weeks of each other, and I knew them both personally. There have been other attrites since then, but I can't comment as to wether or not it had anything to do with not getting their choice out of primary.

FWIW, I didn't get what I wanted out of primary, but I am enjoying my new life as a helo SNA a lot. Make the best of what you get and you'll always be happy, methinks.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I know one guy who DOR'd because he got helos, and wanted fixed wing. I also know a girl who DOR'd because she got P3s (IIRC she wanted helos). It may be rare overall, but it does happen.

sbpilot

I know one guy who DOR'd because he got helos, and wanted fixed wing. I also know a girl who DOR'd because she got P3s (IIRC she wanted helos). It may be rare overall, but it does happen.

If said person DOR's at that point, what happens to them?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If said person DOR's at that point, what happens to them?

Whatever the needs of the Navy dictate...

I think the girl got released from active duty, but shorty there after the Navy decided it needed JOs in other designators so the dude got sent SWO although he was expecting to get released when he DOR'd. A helo guy I know DOR'd for other reasons... he got sent to the desert on an IA. An E2C2 stud DOR'd, because his wife pretty much made him, shorty after he got to kingsville- SWO bound last I heard.