• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FITREP 101

taxi1

pilot
FITREPs are the CO's signal to selection boards
There’s really only one person that reads the fitrep thoroughly on a board, the briefer. He is going to read the reports going back a certain number of years, scan those further back, and then tell a story by marking up the PSR and other docs.

When the record comes up, the board listens to his narrative while looking at the record and the markup overlaid, and they vote. It is over in seconds.

Block 41 is where the CO communicates with the briefer. The less of a mystery novel a report is, the better, and Block 41 is where the mystery gets removed. Highlighting something that is otherwise implicit in the data (my top LT report ever written) is not wasted words.

And that briefer will likely read other reports written by the same CO, so consistency is crucial.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
FITREPs are the CO's signal to selection boards
Having sat on some selection boards I can tell you that many CO's have no f*cking clue how to write FITREPs.

BT

The bennie of being an assistant recorder on a selection board is that you get to pour through every freaking FITREP across all designators as well as sit in all voting tanks. It's an eye opening experience that I recommend to everyone.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Having sat on some selection boards I can tell you that many CO's have no f*cking clue how to write FITREPs.

BT

The bennie of being an assistant recorder on a selection board is that you get to pour through every freaking FITREP across all designators as well as sit in all voting tanks. It's an eye opening experience that I recommend to everyone.
They always put out requests for recorders, I may try and snag one of those spots in the future.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
They always put out requests for recorders, I may try and snag one of those spots in the future.
Aside from living in Millington for two weeks, it's an eye opening experience. I wish there would be two additional items added to the list for being qualified to become a CO:
  1. Attend a selection board as either a recorder or assistant recorder
  2. FITREP PQS program (which does not exist)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
FITREP PQS program (which does not exist)
Ensuring an officer is capable of FITREP-writing before they accept CO positions should be inherent in the APPLY boards’ decision making, in the 2N1, in DIVOLC/RILC/etc, in their own FITREPs from past XO/DH positions, and in the responsibility CO’s role itself (i.e. “special trust and confidence” they will figure it out).

The solution to any broken or backward Navy HR and admin system should never be “Create a training qual to teach you the broken/backward system” but obviously just fix the system.

An Army O5 in a Joint command is not going to undertake a Navy FITREP PQS qual program, so that wouldn’t solve the whole problem, even if implemented.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ensuring an officer is capable of FITREP-writing before they accept CO positions should be inherent in the APPLY boards’ decision making, in the 2N1, in DIVOLC/RILC/etc, in their own FITREPs from past XO/DH positions, and in the responsibility CO’s role itself (i.e. “special trust and confidence” they will figure it out).

The solution to any broken or backward Navy HR and admin system should never be “Create a training qual to teach you the broken/backward system” but obviously just fix the system.

An Army O5 in a Joint command is not going to undertake a Navy FITREP PQS qual program, so that wouldn’t solve the whole problem, even if implemented.
You learned less than 48 hours ago what a high water FITREP is.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You learned less than 48 hours ago what a high water FITREP is.
I knew roughly what it was, but I wanted to see the responses. Half the time here, seniors can’t agree on a clear definition of something, or there are insightful nuances that come out in the discussion.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Aside from living in Millington for two weeks, it's an eye opening experience. I wish there would be two additional items added to the list for being qualified to become a CO:
  1. Attend a selection board as either a recorder or assistant recorder
  2. FITREP PQS program (which does not exist)

If someone spends 15+ years in the Navy and decides (yes, decides) not to learn how to write and teach others to write EVALs and FITREPs as a DIVO / DH / XO, then nothing is going to make that person learn.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
My first FITREP (TAD out of USNA) was technically classified as a Regular FITREP, but half the the performance traits were marked NOB. Trait Avg was 3.00 and I got a P. Pretty much the standard for an ENS fresh out of school. My other FITREPs are NOBs. There is a typo in Block 41 on the regular (Positive is spelled "postive"). Is this something that would reflect poorly on a board/worth correcting. If so, how do you go about correcting it? Admin correction?

taxi1

pilot
My first FITREP (TAD out of USNA) was technically classified as a Regular FITREP, but half the the performance traits were marked NOB. Trait Avg was 3.00 and I got a P. Pretty much the standard for an ENS fresh out of school. My other FITREPs are NOBs. There is a typo in Block 41 on the regular (Positive is spelled "postive"). Is this something that would reflect poorly on a board/worth correcting. If so, how do you go about correcting it? Admin correction?
Postive = almost positive

If you really want it changed, need to get the reporting senior to submit a change. He owns it. But I'd not worry about it as an Ensign with a first fitrep.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
**** My number 1 of X LCDRs **** (this is a soft breakout). (hard breakout is on the EP/MP/P line - must be an EP)
***Insert Name IS A MUST SELECT FOR OPERATIONAL COMMAND!***

-words no-one reads
- more words no one reads
- final words no one reads

** Well above my Reporting Seniors Average - Insert Name will make an outstanding Operational CO!!

RSA 4.0 Member's Avg - 4.75

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

No one will care about something so small on an ENS FITREP. I wouldn't bother. Feel free to get a second opinion (Admin O).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
When I was in NROTC all the stashed folks got a NOB, even if it was more than 3 months.

With that said, I can’t imagine a P FITREP as a pre SNA will hurt you. Focus on flight school and doing well during your JO tour.