• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fiscal Year Selection

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
What influence does fiscal year have on selection? Is the selection the last week in Sept. going to be different for the same person if he selected the first week in october. Is there an earlier cut off date or is it just the date written on the papers when you do the selection brief.

Avoiding the rumors of "stud 1: apparently there is no more helo spots" to be chimmed in after with "stud2: marines are bring back the jet draft.... Stud1: were not even talking about marines, STFU."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Zero influence.

Eh, there can be a difference, there's just no guarantee that there will be a difference. What squorch is getting at is that the community doesn't really matter (other than "maybe" jets), but there can be pushes and slow downs for different services. I remember one year when they needed Marines and they had too many Navy guys, so Marines were still balls to the wall up until 30 Sept but the Navy guys were stuck in warm-up windows until 1 Oct, and then there were about 15 different night Fam/NVNAV flights with all the completers.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
So effectively - especially from the POV of Joe Stud - there is no difference.

Also, helos are still taking studs as fast as we can.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Agreed, just giving some perspective on where the fiscal year push/halt "gouge" comes from.
thanks for the input, between squadrons there seems to deff. be a push the last complete-tors for the fiscal year and the guys back in fams are not lucky enough to get one of the few planes up. Then the otro amigos across the hanger, we're just a normal push for X's, priority changing as needed.
Mainly got to pondering because a buddy selecting in a week or so, is convinced that there isn't going to be a helo opportunity for him because of the time of the year. I'll squash that one. Looks like I should finish up towards the end of Sept. maybe XC across my birthday, which would be significantly better than my RLP inspection BDay with the Gunny last year.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Again, just for background...

Each squadron has an IPP (number of studs to push through), and within that, they have numbers for each service/country. Some squadrons may have, purely by accident, pushed through more of one kind of service than others, so they have may have to catch up with the other services to meet their IPP. Then there's also total IPP, which different squadrons can fall behind on at different times for various reasons. So in order to boost their numbers, they'll push the completers through while sitting the Fam guys just because they're closer to finishing and therefore have a better chance of being done by the deadline.

More than you may care to know, but just giving the 10,000 foot view.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Also, end of FY PCS funding could affect how selections are handed out. I know of one person a couple years ago who (according to them) was told they didn't get their first choice because they were an end of FY completer and the fund weren't available for a PCS so they were selected to the pipeline with advanced training located at their primary location.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
This... does not pass the smell test. Any completer can be stashed if there aren't enough funds to PCS them right then.

Heloanjin

pilot
Fiscal Year has nothing to do with selection. Pilot production is a continuous process and is not constrained by any kind of artificial date. The advanced squadrons need a continuous student input. If an advanced pipeline has received all the students they need for a FY, they will still need students for the next FY and those involved in the selection process work hard to evenly distribute all the completers. Now, sometimes advanced pipeline required inputs change. The result could mean fewer or more selections needed for that pipeline and preload, better known as the pool, is unbalanced between the advanced pipelines. But, it is just as likely all the helo or jet or multiengine seats are filled on 31 Mar as on 30 Sep.

In addition, PCS funding does not affect selection. If the advanced squadrons need students, they need students regardless if there is money to move people. On the few occasions where PCS funds were short, students were held at primary for a few weeks awaiting orders. Fortunately, student preload helps make sure the advanced squadrons have students when they need them. There are stories that Corpus primary completers get multiengine more and Whiting primary completers get helos more simply because is saves PCS money. However, the data don't support it.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
When I was about to select there were rumors circulating about how there were no more jet slots for the remainder of the fiscal year. It was all horseshit. There were still plenty of slots to go around.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Fiscal Year has nothing to do with selection. Pilot production is a continuous process and is not constrained by any kind of artificial date. The advanced squadrons need a continuous student input. If an advanced pipeline has received all the students they need for a FY, they will still need students for the next FY and those involved in the selection process work hard to evenly distribute all the completers. Now, sometimes advanced pipeline required inputs change. The result could mean fewer or more selections needed for that pipeline and preload, better known as the pool, is unbalanced between the advanced pipelines. But, it is just as likely all the helo or jet or multiengine seats are filled on 31 Mar as on 30 Sep.
not sure how rep works here now, but thank you for answering my question in the most literal sense. More or less i'm just stoked to be wearing a green bag to work and flying something with Navy on the side of it, that and still on my Form solo buzz from two weeks ago, hah. I do have a very specific goal towards selection, but I figure if you're not striving for something specific, then you're just shooting the min.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
not sure how rep works here now, but thank you for answering my question in the most literal sense. More or less i'm just stoked to be wearing a green bag to work and flying something with Navy on the side of it, that and still on my Form solo buzz from two weeks ago, hah. I do have a very specific goal towards selection, but I figure if you're not striving for something specific, then you're just shooting the min.

If you get a buzz from form solos, then helos may be the wrong place for you...just sayin'.

T-45-Goshawk-033.preview.jpg