• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First spin = Airsick. What's next?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone in here ever taken a COD ride to the boat? (in the back, Bunk). I think those are worse than any T-34 flight I went on (Except my FAM 1 where I bet my onwing he couldn't get me sick (I didn't, btw)).

You did quite well on that one actually. I didn't even know you got queasy. I had a puker with me on Thursday... landing pattern was pretty bumpy at A-CTY, and the course rules home broke the camel's back.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Like Bunk, sometimes those C4500 blocks do me in. I feel a little sick (no puke) when on the second PA hop of the day, especially when it's hot outside. For me it's the multiple sloppy aileron rolls that screw my head up. There's something about putting in too much forward stick while trying to roll that just causes my stomach to flip.

It's hot during the summer, your SA is being sucked away by the noob in front, you're tired from the constant babysitting, etc, etc. You get tired and cranky. I remember as a student thinking, nothing to these PA's, in the 34 or T-2C. Now I know, I was just to stupid to know any better :)

rookie7734

None
After my first class midshipman cruise on a tin can (destroyer -USS William C Long) and two weeks of seasickness, I realized that aviation was my bag.

During flight training I had no problem until a jet intro flight with acrobatics (don't even remember what airplane it was). During all the spins and maneuvers I was fine. A little queezy, but fine.

Then the IP decided to do some touch and go's. As he descended the canopy fogged up, so naturally, he put on the heater/defroster...that did it for me. Without cold fresh air I blew big chunks. The only thing I had to put that stuff in was my flight glove. I did not have a barf bag.

The only other time that happened to me was an early morning (3:00 AM) VP mission in the Reserves out of Whidbey Island. I was in the back at the Nav table. We were flying very low, dropping sonar bouys and the weather was stormy. It got hot in the back and with the cigar smoke going on around me (at that time smoking was still allowed), I couldn't hold it in any longer. Bad puke...

peachesnel

Worst case: you get actively airsick every single flight until your 4390. You'd probably have to see the flight surgeon a lot, maybe go to the spin chair (loads of fun and a week off of flying) and then get two adaptation flights before your solo. Those flights are docile, low key. Then for PA's you do as little or as much as you want to do. If you can make it through one demo and one try of each manuever, you're good. You will stop puking by that point though. Ginger is not a ridiculous recommendation. Take it, it helps. Eat bland food and eat right before your brief so you have food in your stomach for the flight. Good luck, you'll stop eventually.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This is 99% bullshit ... and that's based on experience w/ hundreds of pilots -- not what someone 'new' to the profession 'thinks' ...

Either eat or don't eat -- fuck it: do whatever 'works' for YOU ... it's an individual thing.

One thing that ISN'T individual -- if you sit there and dwell upon the subject of: 'will I or won't I puke my guts out while flying' .... ???

>>>>
Chances are you will not enjoy the flight or your career.

Fly the airplane!!! Leave the 'puking' to the chumps on the ground!!!

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
One thing that might be worth considering if you are thinkin' jets is flying with an "empty tank" on a flight with lots of G's isn't a great idea. Puking isn't really a concern for most guys in the fleet, but G-LOC/ALOC is always a threat and there are plenty of Hazreps/Mishap reports that place improper nutrition as a causal factor. Obviously, this probably doesn't apply now, but flight school is a good time to develop habits.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^ And I should have noted that my previous comment was Aviator-specific ... as NFO's have a whole different set of things to endure, usually being the 'recipient' -- rather than the 'instigator', of whatever body-mind-tummy-changing G-evolution the aircraft is currently going through ...

And as a result ... NFO's have my total respect for being able to 'ride through it' and still keep their belly 'right side up' in 99% of the cases ...

But for the pilots .... ???

Quit worrying about puking. Whether you're flyin' or ridin' ... "Fly" the airplane, for the love of God.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
On another topic, unless you have lost your lunch flying or are an IP (or otherwise salty dog), we don't care what advice you have. If you haven't been there or seen it, STFU. I have just been given advice by way too many people who have no fucking clue what it feels like to be completely sick in the plane. "I was passively sick this one time" doesn't cut it....

Amen to that. As another dude who puked heavily through FAMs and PAs (and then at least once in every other stage), I can tell you that if you talk to 20 people, you'll get 20 different answers, but here's what got me through VTs:

I ate noodles (Ramen or similar) about an hour before wheels-up. That way I had a full stomach, but with food that was pretty easily digested.

I also took ginger pills (you can buy them at any GNC or similar). I don't know if they actually did anything, but it made me feel better I guess.

Finally, the reason that I avoided the air-sickness NPQ is that I never incompleted a flight for it. Puke if you have to, get back on the controls when you can, and then push. If you show that you are willing to stick with it, your squadron will probably be willing to work with you.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Quart-size Ziploc freezer baggies. They're easily resealable and have plenty of capacity for whatever comes up during your flight. The freezer bags are also quite a bit more durable. I can't stress enough that they MUST be ZIPLOC! Don't go cheap here or you'll regret it. I still carry two or three in my thigh pocket on every flight. Mostly for dudes in the back now.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Now that I've given all of that advice, Praying, I will say that I doubt you'll have to worry about any of it. To me it sounds like your body seeing something new for the first time and needing to adjust to it. I imagine you'll have very few problems from here on out. You don't need to group yourself with the master pukers just yet. But trust me on the Ziploc baggies. Be prepared for anything.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I don't know if anyone has said it as I'm too lazy to read the whole thing, but chewing minty gum helped me. I still like to chew gum when I fly (though airsickness hasn't been a problem in a long time).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Amen to that. As another dude who puked....here's what got me through VTs:I ate noodles (Ramen or similar) about an hour before wheels-up....
Ramen??? RAMEN???

But see ... there's where you only made half a commitment ... :icon_wink

Here's what the boys from another day, another time --- ate just before their afternoon ACM or Bombing hop out @ Yankee TGT:

texas0402.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm .... O.K. ... mebbe NOT the 'beers' .... but certainly warm Navy Cafeteria grease ... nuthin' better !!!

By properly preparing their young minds & bodies for yankin' & bankin' on a hot & dusty Texas afternoon ... they held the line.

And they didn't puke ...

PPPPPPP ... as always, the "7 P's" ... :)

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
^^^ nicely said. As a somewhat interesting sidenote, quite a few of my old squadron mate jo pilots used to keep a sick bag on their kneeboard as sort of a goodluck charm carried over from flight school. I guess if you always have it, you'll never need it. Anyone else do this?

magnetfreezer

^^^ nicely said. As a somewhat interesting sidenote, quite a few of my old squadron mate jo pilots used to keep a sick bag on their kneeboard as sort of a goodluck charm carried over from flight school. I guess if you always have it, you'll never need it. Anyone else do this?

Never got sick in flight school and superstitiously carry a gallon ziploc bag in my flightsuit - works good for throwing paperwork/etc inside to make a dash to the car during a surprise thunderstorm as well. Had a C-130 low level orientation ride during ROTC and the only people in the back who weren't puking were those eating their box nasties during the LL.