• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First spin = Airsick. What's next?

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I too carried a "trashbag" for empty Gatorade bottles and granola bars during the 4 cycle'ers. The guys I'm talkin about actually carry the exact same bag in it's little manilla envelope they had since primary. Like their little rabbits foot. Better than wearin a garter belt or breathin through your eyelids I suppose.

yak52driver

Contributor
I have a related question. A couple of years ago I took a Navy helicoptor pilot up for some akro while he was home visiting. He told me he threw up all the time in fixed wing training and at times hit a button on the oxygen system that forced more in through his mask and kept the puke from coming up. Does that work?

AJTranny

pilot
None
I think he meant he selected 100% O2. A lot of guys swear by its healing abilities.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
^^^ nicely said. As a somewhat interesting sidenote, quite a few of my old squadron mate jo pilots used to keep a sick bag on their kneeboard as sort of a goodluck charm carried over from flight school. I guess if you always have it, you'll never need it. Anyone else do this?

I still carry my bag from primary. The envelope died a long time ago, but I still got the important part. Not really a good luck charm, but it's just one of those things to have... I feel like the one day I don't have it I'll end up with my breakfast inside my flight suit.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was actually amazed at the number of studs that had airsickness problems. I never thought about it as I never got sick as a student. Maybe on the OCF flight in T-2C's was the only time I felt queasy but never even came close to puking. So you don't think about it, maybe think it's common. But every week I flew with a kid who would get airsick, maybe not actively but passively.

torpedo0126

I think he meant he selected 100% O2. A lot of guys swear by its healing abilities.

I could be wrong, but he might be talking about 100% O2 AND flipping it to emergency for the 'positive pressure.'

I thought that helped a lot too...didn't get rid of everything, but forcing the cool air in made the throw-up feeling disappear.

AJTranny

pilot
None
Ahhh, got it. I always thought that emergency pressure was annoying but hey, whatever works.

yak52driver

Contributor
I could be wrong, but he might be talking about 100% O2 AND flipping it to emergency for the 'positive pressure.'

I thought that helped a lot too...didn't get rid of everything, but forcing the cool air in made the throw-up feeling disappear.

That was it, I remember he said positive pressure. Thanks!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Banamine and Orange Juice is good too....oh, I mean yeah..O2...good stuff...

note:

I AM NOT ADVOCATING SELF MEDICATION...IT WAS A JOKE ABOUT HORSE TRANQUILIZERS!

srqwho

pilot
First spin today for this ENS. The procedures and recovery aren't bad, but after the third one I passed the controls and proceeded to revisit the smokeshack brisket sandwich with my side of dirty rice and beans I had an hour and a half earlier. I have been passively sick just about every flight until now. My question for some of the guys/gals who have had the pukes in primary is... how long did it take for you to feel normal again? We did spins pretty early on and once I started getting sick it never got better. I hear some people puke and are good to go. I am NOT that person. The IP wanted to head home and call it a day but I asked to complete the flight and get the X. Thankfully he obliged and we did some low work and finished up.

We landed 3 hours ago and I still feel like ass.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Rehydrate and get some electrolytes. Gatorade will do the trick. Reattack tomorrow and see how you feel.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I remember hearing from a professor in college (a former Naval Aviator helo type) that the dutch roll is the most nauseating and uncomfortable maneuver. Any inputs? I guess the biggest component is un-balanced yaw. It seems that yaw has the greatest impact on your equilibrium in the middle-ear.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Maybe lay off the bbq too. Bananas taste the same coming up as they do going down. Stay cool as possible, but if you're in a 34 in texas or florida, that's easier said than done. Don't dwell on it. If that doesn't work, they'll send you to see the doc and get it hammered down. It's just something you'll work through, like everything else in flight school.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Nail down a 4 or 5 on the first try and move on. 3 in a row is just a little crazy on your very first day. Especially if they're to right and you suck at reading the indications quickly.