• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First spin = Airsick. What's next?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've never been actively airsick but have felt queasy and sometimes, not food does it. Now as an IP, there are days I have felt not good and had to go fly...not eating was not good for my gut. Try eating, relaxing and don't think about it too much.

Same same. I need food in my stomach. Plus, having a stud at the controls (or more recently, a "not very good" pilot) makes it worse. Just because you can make the airplane go from positive to negative to positive in 5 seconds doesn't mean you should!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Same same. I need food in my stomach. Plus, having a stud at the controls (or more recently, a "not very good" pilot) makes it worse. Just because you can make the airplane go from positive to negative to positive in 5 seconds doesn't mean you should!

Didn't you hate not feeling well and flying those flights? My last flight with VT-6 was a C4501....I had a stomach virus and felt nasty. It was my last chance so fuck it. Man I felt bad after that flight, I was sick through the whole thing. Didn't puke though :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Didn't you hate not feeling well and flying those flights? My last flight with VT-6 was a C4501....I had a stomach virus and felt nasty. It was my last chance so fuck it. Man I felt bad after that flight, I was sick through the whole thing. Didn't puke though :D

Yeah. The student immeleman was one of the worst for me. I always saved that for the last maneuver before we went to the pattern/home. That (unnecessary) abrupt negative g followed by the sloppy roll just was not my strong point. Though I still maintain the spiral is the worst. Even when I do them, it just ruins my internal gyro for about a minute. Fortunately, a few quick sucks on the O2 and I'd be back in the game.

tlord82

pilot
I just completed my BI sims/flights and now I'm back into Contacts. I did my first spin today and it didn't go so well. About 30 min after the spins, while in the pattern I became "actively" airsick. :eek: I haven't had any problems up to this point. I have to go see the doc tomorrow to get on the airsick program. I haave to be honest, not only did I get sick but during the spin, I could barely think. I have searched the "how to" not get sick threads but its not really clear on what's ahead. Will I continue to fly (especially doing spins)? Best case scenario,......I adapt. What's the worst case for a guy with 10 years of active service? Thanks guys!

As someone who threw up almost every single damn T-34 flight up to Forms and RIs, the best advice is to stick with it. As it was said before, you might complete the spin just fine, only to find yourself puking during your pattern work. Just keep going back up with a positive attitude. Make sure you eat something (Smores Poptarts were my food of choice) and Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. It is mental, but your body needs to be set up for success. By the time I got to T-45s, problem solved. Good Luck, OP.

On another topic, unless you have lost your lunch flying or are an IP (or otherwise salty dog), we don't care what advice you have. If you haven't been there or seen it, STFU. I have just been given advice by way too many people who have no fucking clue what it feels like to be completely sick in the plane. "I was passively sick this one time" doesn't cut it....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On another topic, unless you have lost your lunch flying or are an IP (or otherwise salty dog), we don't care what advice you have. If you haven't been there or seen it, STFU. I have just been given advice by way too many people who have no fucking clue what it feels like to be completely sick in the plane. "I was passively sick this one time" doesn't cut it....

Good point I suppose :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah. The student immeleman was one of the worst for me. I always saved that for the last maneuver before we went to the pattern/home. That (unnecessary) abrupt negative g followed by the sloppy roll just was not my strong point. Though I still maintain the spiral is the worst. Even when I do them, it just ruins my internal gyro for about a minute. Fortunately, a few quick sucks on the O2 and I'd be back in the game.

I saved the Aileron roll for last as I only flew the C4501 or C4586. Some of the studs would want multiple rolls. After like 5 or 6...dude, I'd had enough.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hear ya. That was another one I saved until the end for a long time, but I think I finally found the secret (for me) and it didn't bother me as much...or maybe it was flying w/ IUTs...

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Since coming to -86, during the T-39 I've probaly been more queasy and "passive" airsick then the average guy, but somehow I've never puked once, during Strikes, Comps, then the air-to-air syllabus after selecting Strike Fighter. But it did degrade SA quite a bit.

Jeez, the back of the 39 was nasty. Never seen so many people get sick at one time than during low levels/Radar Nav in the back.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Anyone in here ever taken a COD ride to the boat? (in the back, Bunk). I think those are worse than any T-34 flight I went on (Except my FAM 1 where I bet my onwing he couldn't get me sick (I didn't, btw)). Especially when its hot, you have the fuel fumes in the back, and there are already like 4 or so people puking...Can get pretty bad.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Anyone in here ever taken a COD ride to the boat? (in the back, Bunk). I think those are worse than any T-34 flight I went on (Except my FAM 1 where I bet my onwing he couldn't get me sick (I didn't, btw)). Especially when its hot, you have the fuel fumes in the back, and there are already like 4 or so people puking...Can get pretty bad.

I get that, but I don't understand why the IP's hate the aileron roll so much (this is not the first I have heard of this dislike). It seems like such a benign maneuver from my perspective...what makes it so bad for you all gents?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I get that, but I don't understand why the IP's hate the aileron roll so much (this is not the first I have heard of this dislike). It seems like such a benign maneuver from my perspective...what makes it so bad for you all gents?

Sit back there and let a stud do the rolls, after the last hour of aero. Most of you are too unaware to know much anyway at that stage. It's not a hard manuever but it is a manuever that can get a guy sick, especially after 5 of them and you're not the one in control. When you're an IP one day, get back to us.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Sit back there and let a stud do the rolls, after the last hour of aero. Most of you are too unaware to know much anyway at that stage. It's not a hard manuever but it is a manuever that can get a guy sick, especially after 5 of them and you're not the one in control. When you're an IP one day, get back to us.

Damn, if only I would have known this back when I were in primary....I could have had even more fun in PA's. I imagine it's hard to play NATOPS stump the chump in the plane if the IP is trying not to yack :icon_smil

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Damn, if only I would have known this back when I were in primary....I could have had even more fun in PA's. I imagine it's hard to play NATOPS stump the chump in the plane if the IP is trying not to yack :icon_smil

Don't get all high on yourself turbo....most if not all of those IP's had more flight time in left turns than you had flight time. Let's see, most of you were too dumb to realize what was going on around you and we had to monitor the airspace, the radios, your flight performance, etc, etc. It would take more than you've got to make me puke and it would have taken little for me to make any of my studs puke.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though I still maintain the spiral is the worst. Even when I do them, it just ruins my internal gyro for about a minute..

The only time I've puked was back in the IUT after the progressive, the high speed spiral, 2 HAPLs, and a LAPL. It was on my second LAPL that I said "knock it off, knock it off... you have the controls" and proceeded to spit up a good chunk of puke. But, then it was puke and rally and I got the up arrow.

Like Bunk, sometimes those C4500 blocks do me in. I feel a little sick (no puke) when on the second PA hop of the day, especially when it's hot outside. For me it's the multiple sloppy aileron rolls that screw my head up. There's something about putting in too much forward stick while trying to roll that just causes my stomach to flip.