• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

first saluting uniform question

sickboy

pilot
If you're giving a friend his first salute, but you are in a commissioning program, is it appropriate to wear crackerjacks? My thought is yes, but some people are telling me that crackerjacks aren't authorized if you're accepted to a commissioning program.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
from your bio:
"graduated FMSS and became a mid"

You're a midshipman, you wear that uniform.

Kyoowashugi

Which commissioning program? From what I remember of the OCs in my platoon this past semester (STA-21), the only time enlisted uniforms would be authorized is if one of them DORed.

Edit: As zab said, if you're a midshipman then wear the appropriate uniform. We have priors in our unit as well, their IDs say "ROTC/STDT" just like us nasty first-timers.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You are no longer authorized to wear enlisted uniforms. You should wear the same uniform as the commissionee...sans officer shoulder boards/insignia of course.

BerkeleyNROTC09

I have a quick question now that we're on this subject...

Our commissioning is going on in a couple days, and the Unit Gnry Sgt decided that the "first salute" was to be for an active duty enlisted personnel (aka her or one of the MECEP's).

Does anyone know if the tradition is only for active duty enlisted? Every other year we could salute other (lower class) MIDN for the first salute.

Regards,

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It was a show of respect for us to ask the AD guys to give us our first salute. I asked our Master SGT for mine...kind of different for a NROTC navy kid, but I worked with the guy a lot my senior year and he knew me and interacted with me in a tutoring capacity way more than the YNC at our unit. The mids at the academy do it a little differently, I'm told, but show your unit staff/MECEPs a little love and ask one of them. The staff works pretty hard for you to slap the butterbars on.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Our commissioning is going on in a couple days, and the Unit Gnry Sgt decided that the "first salute" was to be for an active duty enlisted personnel (aka her or one of the MECEP's).

Does anyone know if the tradition is only for active duty enlisted? Every other year we could salute other (lower class) MIDN for the first salute.

Regards,

Technically, Mids have to salute just like regular enlisted folk and our unit allows lower classmen to do it, but if Gunny says no then there is not much you can do about it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen everything from MECEPS or STA-21 to RETIRED folks doing the first salute. I've also seen a lot of different branches do the first salute. There is no requirement that the person be on active duty. We had OC's saluting freshly minted Ensigns. No big deal; it's up to you.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Regards,

We were never allowed to have MIDN give first salutes at my old NROTC unit. Most folks had OC's/MECEP's do it, though a few folks had enlisted family members who would perform the salute. Make sure you also hook whoever does it up with a (real) silver dollar.

VulcanRider

pilot
Show your respect for those who have given their time and effort to your development. While it may be "cool" to have your buddy give your first salute, I would suggest giving the privilege to someone who has made a difference in your life and actually deserves some public recognition for what they did. Whether that is a relative, your AMOI, or even if it is a close friend that you feel deserves it. I would just say, that whoever you give the privilege too, it should be someone who truly understands the significance of the event and deserves it, not your drinking buddy that's getting a commission the following year.

torpedo0126

For the OP, I would talk to whoever your class advisor is as well as the person in charge of commissioning.

While yes, the technical answer is you are now a MIDN, I feel that the first salute is a symbolic gesture. You were prior enlisted, and your close friend is being commissioned. As long as you both you and your command agree about to celebrate this occasion, I don't think it would be a huge deal, nor disrespectful.

Remember, commissioning is about YOU. Its your day. You planned it, people are there to watch YOU get commissioned. If you want a MIDN that you were close with to salute, I don't believe that is disrespectful at all.

trackgain

I don't think you should have the first salute. Even if it is your best friend, you are in a commissioning program. The first is a big deal and yes should be someone you wish to give your silver dollar too, but not to someone who in a little bit will be wearing an officer uniform. Your friend should pick a chief or (Yes) and gunny who has given him guidance throughout the program. You are just his friend and will be his friend possibly throughout your and his career. The chiefs and gunnys have been there to push you out of the enlisted ranks and to become an officer. Let him pick someone else that has given him the guidance to do that.

sickboy

pilot
Show your respect for those who have given their time and effort to your development. While it may be "cool" to have your buddy give your first salute, I would suggest giving the privilege to someone who has made a difference in your life and actually deserves some public recognition for what they did. Whether that is a relative, your AMOI, or even if it is a close friend that you feel deserves it. I would just say, that whoever you give the privilege too, it should be someone who truly understands the significance of the event and deserves it, not your drinking buddy that's getting a commission the following year.

Not disagreeing with you. My friend's a MECEP and he asked me to do it. I was his platoon's Corpsman when I was still active duty. We go back a while.

torpedo0126

yes exactly. its your friends decision. as long as everyone agrees.

at my commissioning, after I was commissioned I went right back up on stage and swore my best friend in (oath of office).

Kyoowashugi

Our unit allows everybody with a lower rank to be the recipient - we've also had retirees do it, midshipmen, you name it. While it would be more meaningful to "give" it to the staff enlisted, it's your first salute, not hers. It would be silly if she got to dictate who you can and can't give your first salute to.