• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Salute Silver Dollar

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I just bought a Morgan 1882 Silver Dollar. Was going for the unique approach...

nublett

Been there, done that.
Taz24th said:
Crap! I just got a silver dollar from the bank. Does it have to be a special silver dollar for the ceremony?

Taz, no it doesn't have to be a special one. I just got mine from the bank, granted that was several years ago. They don't even look at them untill after the ceremonies anyway. I think there is very little chance they would even know what came from whom. Unless you are a collector, or a sentimentalist, a silver dollar is a silver dollar.

d00002

First Silver Dollar Salute

nublett said:
Taz, no it doesn't have to be a special one. I just got mine from the bank, granted that was several years ago. They don't even look at them untill after the ceremonies anyway. I think there is very little chance they would even know what came from whom. Unless you are a collector, or a sentimentalist, a silver dollar is a silver dollar.

There are several ways to get a silver dollar. Here is the link to the source I used. http://www.silver-eagle-coins.com/index2.html. I purchased 2 coins for my son's commissioning in April. I suggest you also purchase coin holders (Direct Fit AirTite Coin Holder 40mm Item #AIRTITE40). The coins have gone up around $4 each in the last month.

The best deal I didn't get was at the Navy Bank at Pensocola NAS. Apparently, in April, they were purchasing silver dollars in quantity for $14 each and selling them to OCS candidates for $10 each. If you're on base and can get to the Navy Bank, I would think that this will be the second best deal you ever find (the first would be the USAA $25,000 2% commissioning loan).

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Silver Dollars can be purchased at any parts store in local currency and currently average about $12 to $18 on eBay. Restraint should be exercised in the purchase of a coin to be given that the price of parts of this type varies greatly with the quality and character.

Spammer!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
When I got my first salute, as a Direct Commission, no one told me any better, so I got the guy a bottle of single malt scotch of his choice. He was happy and it seemed like the right thing to do.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
AOCS must have had a stash. They gave us one that morning for our first salute which I very happily gave to GYSGT Bowling (RIP) outside the Naval Air Museum.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you buy a nice one for your first salute, do yourself a favor and buy one for yourself as a keepsake. I bought my buddy a nice American Silver Eagle PROOF and I wish I had one now.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Silhouette

Thread resurrect!
When I was at the local NavyFed the other day, I asked about getting some silver dollars and was told they are no longer in circulation so the bank can't get them. When I do internet searches, I don't see any coins that cost less than $25... perhaps my internet searching skills are lacking? I am going to get a few special/more expensive coins for DIs and mentors, but I wanted to get a few regular silver dollars as well. Any help is appreciated!
Oh, and ea6b, thanks for the tip. I did just that for the one that's going to my MSgt.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Thread resurrect!
When I was at the local NavyFed the other day, I asked about getting some silver dollars and was told they are no longer in circulation so the bank can't get them. When I do internet searches, I don't see any coins that cost less than $25... perhaps my internet searching skills are lacking? I am going to get a few special/more expensive coins for DIs and mentors, but I wanted to get a few regular silver dollars as well. Any help is appreciated!
Oh, and ea6b, thanks for the tip. I did just that for the one that's going to my MSgt.

Check local pawn shops. I do the first salute thing (informally, just whoever happens to salute me first) each time I get promoted. I had a hard time finding them, too. Pawn shops worked.

Silhouette

Check local pawn shops. I do the first salute thing (informally, just whoever happens to salute me first) each time I get promoted. I had a hard time finding them, too. Pawn shops worked.
That is a smart idea that didn't even cross my mind. Thank you! And I think that is a really nice tradition you have.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
To answer your other question, the spot price of silver (gold, too) has risen quite a bit due to inflation concerns, so that's why the coins you're finding are more expensive.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I do internet searches, I don't see any coins that cost less than $25... perhaps my internet searching skills are lacking? I am going to get a few special/more expensive coins for DIs and mentors, but I wanted to get a few regular silver dollars as well. Any help is appreciated!
Over the past 35 years as a U.S. coin collecter, I have bought many times directly from the U.S. Mint online: www.usmint.gov/
Check out their site in the silver dollar section. Remember, the commissioning is... or should be, one of the major milestones in your life. Be classy, don't skimp on your "first salute" silver dollar(s)! Precious metal prices are quite high at present (economy), so the days of <$25 silver dollars are long gone.

An example of what would make an impressive first salute accceptance gift(s), would be the 2012 proof "Infantry Soldier" silver dollar, pictured below @ $54.95 (+ $4.00 shipping per order). These new 'proof' coins are double stamped during the minting process, and are totally impressive!
US MINT-2.jpg
BzB

Silhouette

Over the past 35 years as a U.S. coin collecter, I have bought many times directly from the U.S. Mint online: www.usmint.gov/
Check out their site in the silver dollar section. Remember, the commissioning is... or should be, one of the major milestones in your life. Be classy, don't skimp on your "first salute" silver dollar(s)! Precious metal prices are quite high at present (economy), so the days of <$25 silver dollars are long gone.

An example of what would make an impressive first salute accceptance gift(s), would be the 2012 proof "Infantry Soldier" silver dollar, pictured below @ $54.95 (+ $4.00 shipping per order). These new 'proof' coins are double stamped during the minting process, and are totally impressive!
View attachment 11743
BzB
This is awesome! I purchased two 9/11 commemorative coins after visiting the museum in NY specifically so I could give one to my MSgt (who was in the Pentagon when it was hit), but I hadn't checked out other possibilities from the mint. I definitely don't want to skimp on this occasion. The only cause of hesitation was that so many of my current coworkers will be there on the big day (because I work close by) and giving a coin to all of them = quite a large sum. I don't want to leave anyone out, though. Each has helped me get to where I am in some way.
Thank you for the info, BzB, much appreciated. :)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Thread resurrect!

About any coin shop will have something nice. My son received his first salute from his younger brother so I wanted to get them both something nice to use. I ended up buying 2 shiny new Marine Corps Silver Dollars from a coin collector. It's easy to make jarheads happy.