• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Post and a Few Questions

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Goose was an NFO. :)

goose.jpg

...that, and I'm sure he wants to live in the end...:D

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Again, I don't think anyone here would recommend a flight program as a degree. Being accepted into the flight program, medical issues aside, from NROTC is very probable. The key is to do well both in the unit and academically. Like it was mentioned, the Navy will teach you to fly the way the Navy wants you to fly. Also, choose Purdue, I assure you the women and experience there will be much better than any ERAU experience. Also, you can never go wrong with a Big Ten school, but I would say Wisconsin is definitely the best one out there, completely unbiased opinion of course . . .:D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
..... choose Purdue, I assure you the women and experience there will be much better than any ERAU experience.

I never thought I'd ever hear Purdue being sold on the merits of the women that go there.:eek:

My Dad (Purdue '62) described the women there as "They cook and sew and make their own clothes". That was what all of the Boilermakers said back then.

That's why he married my Mom (IU '63).

YMMV.

Spike511

Again, I don't think anyone here would recommend a flight program as a degree. Being accepted into the flight program, medical issues aside, from NROTC is very probable. The key is to do well both in the unit and academically. Like it was mentioned, the Navy will teach you to fly the way the Navy wants you to fly. Also, choose Purdue, I assure you the women and experience there will be much better than any ERAU experience. Also, you can never go wrong with a Big Ten school, but I would say Wisconsin is definitely the best one out there, completely unbiased opinion of course . . .:D

So, let me get this straight. I'm about dead set on the Aviation degree thing. Im sorry, I know it sounds ignorant...but to me, its an academic advantage because I feel I would do better in a degree that I can't sit down and go "When am I ever going to use this in life...." such as if I recieved a degree in Criminal Justice or Business. I would be more interested, therefore have a drive to do better.

Secondly...just making sure. Your telling me that if I make good grades and stay out of trouble, and pass all my PT tests, that it is much easier to get a pilot slot then if I went USAF?

Oh, one last broad question. I would really like to know the current vision requirements. I'm seeing different ones all over the place. I believe i'm 20/30 in the one eye and 20/40 in the other with 20/20 near vision. I'm fine for the USAF for that, because their 20/70 uncorrected. However, I think the Navy's is 20/40, so...for now...im fine. However, that may not be the case in 6 years when I graduate College. Can anyone clear up the vision requirements for me?

Thanks again
--
Eric

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
So, let me get this straight. I'm about dead set on the Aviation degree thing. Im sorry, I know it sounds ignorant...but to me, its an academic advantage because I feel I would do better in a degree that I can't sit down and go "When am I ever going to use this in life...." such as if I recieved a degree in Criminal Justice or Business. I would be more interested, therefore have a drive to do better.

Dude, that logic is so unbelieveably backwards, I just... Whatever, it's your money / education.

Threadjack: I'm gonna be kind of douche here. How can you get a 4-year degree (higher education, I get it!) in flying airplanes? Is there more involved here than I think there is?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't do ERAU or major in anything aviation related, and if you are dead set on doing it, more power to you. The only thing that would give me pause is what if aviation doesn't work out, beyond the military I mean. Say you get your degree in being a pilot, and then right after graduation you get into a car accident and lose a leg or something. You're completely and utterly screwed. You aren't going to fly any more anywhere. Yeah your degree is "practical," but beware of over-specialization.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Yeah your degree is "practical," but beware of over-specialization.

Exactly.

Like I said, as a graduate of an aviation program, I recommend you not make the same mistake I did. Yes, as an 18-year-old starting college, going to school to fly airplanes seemed like an awesome idea. But I realized pretty quickly that it's going to be extremely limiting to me in the long run, and with a program that specialized, once you get started in it you're pretty much trapped. I wish I'd thought more about the long-term, including grad school - the military (all branches) is VERY big on graduate degrees and my next-to-worthless undergrad means I'm gonna have my work cut out for me trying to get into the kind of grad program that appeals to me.

Let's just say this: an aviation degree is BS in more ways than one. My degree got me my commission and 4 winters skiing in Utah. Other than that, I think it was a waste of time and taxpayer dollars.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Here's a stupid question from a Poli Sci major to all the aviation majors on this thread:

I've heard many a time from the nuke people that if you get a degree in nuke something-or-other and then you go to Navy nuke school, its harder because you're having to relearn it the Navy way. That hold true with aviation as well, that you have to relearn your whole degree, but Navy style?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Here's a stupid question from a Poli Sci major to all the aviation majors on this thread:

I've heard many a time from the nuke people that if you get a degree in nuke something-or-other and then you go to Navy nuke school, its harder because you're having to relearn it the Navy way. That hold true with aviation as well, that you have to relearn your whole degree, but Navy style?

The Navy way of flight training is significantly different than any civilian flight program (no matter how professional or "hard" you think your civvie program is), and mil training has a very different focus. Have I had to unlearn bad habits? Definitely.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

Yes and no, I guess. Granted, I'm a long way from wings, but in my experience up to this point (through primary), I'd say my prior training has helped in some ways, hurt in others, and been worthless (or at least not worth nearly what it cost) in most. Having instrument experience was definitely helpful. But the radio coms are much different, the traffic pattern is totally different, and the T-34C doesn't fly anything like any plane people will be flying in a civilian program. It's not so much un-learning things as it is learning, "The Navy does it this way."

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Dude, go to a real college...one with multiple fields of study, a football team, some dormitories, and a shit-ton of bars attended by good looking women. Join ROTC (so they pay for your school), achieve sustained superior performance, do things other than just class and ROTC (clubs, leadership opportunities, volunteer, get laid on the weekends); most importantly: have fun; and let the flying gig work itself out.

I got my BS in Animal Science at Moo U. and fly planes for the Navy...any functional retard can do this job if you work hard at it.

Did I mention have fun and get laid?

Pickle

Oh, and watch Top-Gun...a LOT...I did (still do) and look how cool I am today!

ps

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I know it is hard to see past how great ERAU may seem in your shoes right now. I remember being dead set on ER and a flight major, but then I talked to some people who had been there done that, much like you are doing now, and realized there are other things to consider in this whole college thing.

College is about making you a well rounded person, having fun (1st priority) and coming out with a degree that may be useful to you at some point in your life without putting yourself in a debt hole so deep that you spend the remainder of your youth and well into your middle age digging yourself out. I highly recommend searching for the Embry-Riddle threads on this site to see why people are warning you about your upcoming decision.

My advice if you want to fly during college: Look up some part 141 flight schools at or near universities with lots of hot women and get a degree in something useful while getting flight training and having fun all at the same time. You may also want to consider BDCP and OCS before committing to NROTC. Last but not least: The Navy is way better than the Chair Force :D

ryan1234

I have no doubt this is exactly what I want to do. Thats what appeals to me about Riddle. One, my best friend wants to go there as well. Two, location. Three, from what I hear, excellent flight program. And four, everyone there loves aviation in some way shape or form. And hell, if I had a girlfriend who loved flying, I'd be in heaven!

4. I guess i'm considered a nerd regardless.

Let me just tell you about my first experience with Riddle.... there I am... check-in day (or whatever it's called)... trying to find where my dorm-room is... ok....right building.... right floor...right hall.....108...nah....109 oh ok here it is.....I open the door to find 3 Swedish guys in pink shirts with popped collars and aviator sunglasses trying to see how far they could get a banana down their throat..... dammit, I need to get another room.... the only other one with that has an empty space has a dude who wears biking shorts around on the first day, already covered the room in star trek posters, probably pees himself at night, and greets me with some weird hand motion and asks me if I speak cling-on.

The girlfriend part.... hmmm.... there's some hot bartenders that'll take your money.... there's some girls at the highschool across the street.... but no... not really any girls at ERAU....if you can stomach some of the girls there and you want to show them your VOR needle... have at it.

Take everyone's advice go to a real school like UF... G-ville may get pretty boring sometimes but there is an endless supply of hot chicas and beer.

ERAU's flight program - don't do that to yourself.... just trust me. I have a friend who is going there now (still) and he just got his private in 85 hours (! for 141) and he owes $20,000 for flight costs alone. I got Single/Multi land and sea Commercial/Inst. for around that at a part 61 school up the road. Same blue card.... fraction of the price.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
3. My backup career choice is Law Enforcement. All I need for that is a degree of some sort....so I'm covered there, regardless of degree.

If your backup career choice is LE then get a degree for that. It will be the "degree of some sort" the Navy requires to be a pilot.

I never attended ERAU but you should listen to the ERAU grads here. They haven't said anything I haven't heard from other ERAU grads.

Keep in mind that just about any degree is nothing more than a check in the box after you serve your initial commitment in aviation (approx ten years).

OBTW....I think I have a BS in Health Promotion from The University of Texas. At least that is what the diploma on my wall says. I have trouble recalling any classes due to the alcohol and skirt clouding my memory.