• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First gun, CCW

Status
Not open for further replies.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
So having turned 21, I am now ready to buy my first gun. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a first handgun. A buddy of mine has a .357 Sig which is F-in sweet and another friend has a .45. I really like both guns but don't know much about guns at all.

My top choices so far are:

.357 sig
beretta M9

Are these good choices?

Also since my family is all in CA, I was wondering what the deal is with carrying a gun in CA. I heard that a military ID allows you an exception for a CCW in CA and I remember reading something to that effect in the laws, but does anyone know for sure?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard that a military ID allows you an exception for a CCW in CA and I remember reading something to that effect in the laws, but does anyone know for sure?

You heard wrong. You practically have to be Diane Feinstein to get a CCW in CA. Try to keep things simple right off the bat. Jews and guns don't mix. ;) Get yourself some training if you're not used to shooting and figure out how to be safe before you get dangerous.

Brett

joboy_2.0

Contributor
definitely. I plan on taking a CCW class sometime this semester and get my CCW for arizona. So how does owning a gun in CA work? Do you carry it on a visible holster or keep it in your car or something? Obviously you can buy a gun in CA but wtf do you do with it?

Lawman

None
Try to keep things simple right off the bat. Jews and guns don't mix. ;)

Brett

Tell that to her.
IDF-babe-1.jpg

Though I would much rather take her to the range then Joboy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
definitely. I plan on taking a CCW class sometime this semester and get my CCW for arizona. So how does owning a gun in CA work? Do you carry it on a visible holster or keep it in your car or something? Obviously you can buy a gun in CA but wtf do you do with it?

Yeah, right. Definitely look up the laws, but in order to have a handgun in your vehicle in CA, it has to be unloaded, in a locked case. There's all kinds of admin BS to contend with. I've never looked into open carry, but I'd be very surprised if it were allowed. As to what to do with it, well, you can go to the range, or out in the desert/mountains (as applicable) to shoot.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So having turned 21, I am now ready to buy my first gun.

What is your experience level with firearms?

My top choices so far are:

.357 sig
beretta M9

Are these good choices?

The first two are cartridges, the second is a pistol, a military designation to be exact.

Also since my family is all in CA, I was wondering what the deal is with carrying a gun in CA. I heard that a military ID allows you an exception for a CCW in CA and I remember reading something to that effect in the laws, but does anyone know for sure?

You heard wrong. Very wrong.

definitely. I plan on taking a CCW class sometime this semester and get my CCW for arizona. So how does owning a gun in CA work? Do you carry it on a visible holster or keep it in your car or something? Obviously you can buy a gun in CA but wtf do you do

Go to http://www.nra-ila.org and lookup CA state gun laws. You have a lot to learn. CA is one of the most restrictive states in the union regarding firearms. It is NOT a "free" state.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Here's a piece of advice....NEVER get with vegan or vegetarian women. Why would you want to be with a woman who refused to put meat in her mouth?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
So having turned 21, I am now ready to buy my first gun. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a first handgun. A buddy of mine has a .357 Sig which is F-in sweet and another friend has a .45. I really like both guns but don't know much about guns at all.

Maybe the best place for you to start is education, like some others have already said. There was a great offer in the Great Deals section here on the fourm for a NRA membership. You could take advantage of that. It includes an NRA magazine every month - full of information. Another thing you could do is stop by any grocery store or book store, go to the magazine section and start fliping through the gun mags (not only informative, but a great time killer). Read what some of the reviews are saying about certain pistols you are interested in.

Most importantly, learn how to properly handle a pistol through a class, etc. Looks like you are planning on doing that anyway. Good luck, proper use of firearms can be a lot of fun and always nice to have when the boogy man stops by your house at night. :eek: :D s/f

Lawman

None
Ive dated a Kosher jew, might as well have been a damn vegetarian. So I feel your pain Raptor10.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Ive dated a Kosher jew, might as well have been a damn vegetarian. So I feel your pain Raptor10.

Haha. They're not that bad, but very strange to outsiders. I grew up orthodox, and I remember how much it sucked. Meat Lovers pizza is too damn good to keep kosher.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
advice from a handgun owner in California. Study your California handgun knowledge before even entering a store. There is enough to give someone who is unfamiliar with handgun ownership a small headache.

And like Brett said, I personally wouldnt even think about the CCW permit right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.