• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I tried to find the source where I read this but I couldn't. I believe that the new wing design is actually from the 737-900 that is going into mass production soon. I think the SWA with the Maryland flag painted on it is a 737-800.

Below is a size comparison with the p-3...courtesy of Boeing...

SWA's NG 737s are all -700's, not the -800 airframe on which the the P-8 is built. That, of course, still says nothing about the winglet thingies. I like the cheaper & more efficient explanation.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I would venture a guess that it allows for more lift at slower speeds for loiter and low level maneuvering.

That's just my very limited guess.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Winglets are for increased fuel efficiency. They reduce wing-tip vortices and improve the lift to drag ratio.

So they are not to lower loiter airspeed but to increase loiter time and range by reducing the fuel burn.

Oh....and they make you float on landing if you don't watch your airspeed / power carefully......

H60Gunner

Contributor
I'm happy to see a replacement to the old girl finally come to almost fruition.
I like the P-3 but if they aren't building new, bad things will happen eventually trying to string out an old airframe.

From a former toob slug point of view this is awesome. Once upon a time I was all jacked up about going back to a flying job after a "disassociated" tour when the P-7 was in the works.

When the P-7 didn't happen, I called my detailer and told him to send me to helos (HS, the newest airframe in the fleet at the time). He told me to call him back when I sobered up, 'cause I was an "old" guy at 29.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
Pickle loves his P3. Honestly, I didn't know what the hell a P3 was, until we got orders to NAS JAX from A-school in p'cola in 2004. He loves the missions and the community. P3s were actually his first choice out of Primary.

He's been very apathetic about the P8, until John posted the pics of the newly painted one. Now, he's starting to get excited.

Once a toob-slug, always a toob-slug!
:D

Flugelman

Contributor
Pickle loves his P3. Honestly, I didn't know what the hell a P3 was, until we got orders to NAS JAX from A-school in p'cola in 2004. He loves the missions and the community. P3s were actually his first choice out of Primary.

He's been very apathetic about the P8, until John posted the pics of the newly painted one. Now, he's starting to get excited.

Once a toob-slug, always a toob-slug!
:D

You can fly that thing from the tube??????:confused::D

ltdann

CoNA
Raked Tips

Rake tips give you nearly as much efficiency as a winglet, but the margin for flutter with the winglets iced was not enough. Raked tips give you more margin.

By the way, the painted aircraft you see is P-8A number two BuNo 167953. The first P-8 167951 has not been painted yet. Should fly no later than Monday barring any unforseen difficulties

East

东部
Contributor
Vp

Does anyone know which VP squadron will be the first with the P-8 in it's inventory?
East or West Coast...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know which VP squadron will be the first with the P-8 in it's inventory?
East or West Coast...

East coast will get it first. As to which squadron gets it first... Uh, what day of the week is it?