• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Petty, I know, but I hope the temperature control is next to the TACCO so we can freeze the flight station and then make it miserably hot.... not middle ground.

Speaking of comfort stuff..what're the kitchen/sleeping/head facilities on the P-8 supposed to be like?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of comfort stuff..what're the kitchen/sleeping/head facilities on the P-8 supposed to be like?

Last i heard was two biz class type fold flat seats behind the cockpit. The galley and shitter would be the same as in a 737 as it was too expensive to design a smaller galley vice just using the one that's already there. It should include the same microwave seen on 737s, which if you haven't used it - F'ING ROCKS! Something that takes 5min to cook takes 45sec-1min.

So, it *should* be comfortable. But i am sure within approx 1-2mo of delivery it'll smell like stale farts, overcooked pizza pockets, and spilled lubricants (not THOSE kind of lubes, you sick bastards - this isn't the VQ version).

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
It sucks, but it's only 6 months of your life.

True statement, there's a reason i'm posting this at 0500:eek:. It goes quick, though.

STLE: What exactly are the reasons T-1 training is going away, us guys in the pipeline at Vance are curious and the Navy IPs here have given us different answers.

STLEngineer

pilot
True statement, there's a reason i'm posting this at 0500:eek:. It goes quick, though.

STLE: What exactly are the reasons T-1 training is going away, us guys in the pipeline at Vance are curious and the Navy IPs here have given us different answers.

I wish I knew the exact reasons. Most of what I have heard is that it has to do with $$$. That being said, I have no idea how much it costs big navy to train a stud in T-1s vs. T-44s.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never completely left, or if we come back sometime in the future. I would also guess that some of it has to do with what the P-8 guys do. When there were pipeline issues a few years past, I heard some P-3 guys went through T-1s at Vance.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So, stupid question from the wife...
These are 'relatively' the same plane, right? Why is the SWA wingtips more vertical that the P-8A wingtips?

Am I over-thinking this?

I tried to find the source where I read this but I couldn't. I believe that the new wing design is actually from the 737-900 that is going into mass production soon. I think the SWA with the Maryland flag painted on it is a 737-800.

Below is a size comparison with the p-3...courtesy of Boeing...

Attachments

• P-8SizedForPerformanceAndGrowth.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 124

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Last i heard was two biz class type fold flat seats behind the cockpit. The galley and shitter would be the same as in a 737 as it was too expensive to design a smaller galley vice just using the one that's already there. It should include the same microwave seen on 737s, which if you haven't used it - F'ING ROCKS! Something that takes 5min to cook takes 45sec-1min.

So, it *should* be comfortable. But i am sure within approx 1-2mo of delivery it'll smell like stale farts, overcooked pizza pockets, and spilled lubricants (not THOSE kind of lubes, you sick bastards - this isn't the VQ version).

What chapter is microwave operation in the P-8 NATOPS?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I tried to find the source where I read this but I couldn't. I believe that the new wing design is actually from the 737-900 that is going into mass production soon. I think the SWA with the Maryland flag painted on it is a 737-800.

The 737-900 is basically the same as a -800, just longer. The 737-600/700/800/900 are all from the 737 'Next Generation' series whose only difference is basically length/range/capacity. The -900 has been in production since 2001.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Where's the MAD?

I swear we need a P8 FAQ on this site. . .this is question #2 that always comes up.

The original deisng called for a goofy retractable 6 foot (IIRC) MAD boom, but it's performance was not predicted to be any better than current technology. Somebody suggested using expendable UAV magnetometers shot out the buoy tubes, and this proposal was more attractive than a lame last-gen MAD.

So, basically: the P-8 MAD boom is non-existent. The P-8 MAD system is still being invented.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
I thought the reason the Navy had gone with props, and then turbo props, in the P2 and P3s was because props operate so much better than jets at low wltitude. Do the new generation high bypass turbo fans close that margin of performance to the point where jets are just as goood, or does the Navy just plan on operating the P8 at higher altitudes than its predecessor?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the reason the Navy had gone with props, and then turbo props, in the P2 and P3s was because props operate so much better than jets at low wltitude. Do the new generation high bypass turbo fans close that margin of performance to the point where jets are just as goood, or does the Navy just plan on operating the P8 at higher altitudes than its predecessor?

Yes, and that's one of the reasons VP fought going jets for so long. But apparently Boeing demonstrated low-altitude performance to their satisfaction. Do a search for P-8 topics here - lots of good discussion.