• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

STLEngineer

pilot
I meant C-40, though not in the sense that Navy folks would actually fly them....just that the AF has taken folks from the T-1 and successfully "upgraded" them to things like the C-40 and larger. T-44 still seems like an overpowered light twin to me, in terms of performance and operating envelope. Also, in my short time here, it has become apparent that jets are flown somewhat differently than props. Seems like it would be an interesting transition to make on such a comparatively large aircraft.

A lot of your thoughts, especially T-1, apply directly to debates going on in the E-6 community.

The E-6 is in the process of stopping training in the T-1 at Vance for several reasons and moving to the T-44. I agree that the T-1 is a better aircraft for advanced studs who go on to fly the E-6 or P-8, but I believe money is a big factor, and I would expect resistance from the P-3 community to going through Air Force training.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I saw in this issue of Aviation Week this week that the ITAR exception was approved for the Indian purchase so that certainly helps the program.

JMF2k10

I'll be on the very edge of the transition ... 2010 commission and hopefully 2010-2012 flight school. I'm excited. That plane is a beauty.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Nice.....How will the transition work (if possible) for the winged dudes already in the community? Like myself, a primary stud shooting for P-3's and eventually the P-8.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Same way it worked for the Tomcat guys who turned in their planes, trained up in the new whip as a squadron, and then got them. Whether you, personally, will do the transition depends on when your squadron transitions and where you're going from there. I'd lay odds that if you're starting the program now, and go VP, you'll probably fly the P-8. Definitely will if you stick around the community after your JO tour.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, stupid question from the wife...
These are 'relatively' the same plane, right? Why is the SWA wingtips more vertical that the P-8A wingtips?

Am I over-thinking this?

.....raked wingtips instead of winglets...They do pretty much the same thing in improving efficiency and cutting drag, but I guess the raked wingtips are more efficient/cheaper than blended winglets.

Good eyes MrsPickle. The raked wingtips actually replaced the winglets because of icing concerns, I am not sure if it is the that anti-icing gear can't be put in winglets or the aerodynamics. Since the P-8 will often be operating in conditions that 737's usually try and avoid, like adverse weather, icing is a big concern.

The Air Force C-40's, AFAIK, are odds-and-ends planes for medium theater lift, like the Navy C-40A's.

The USAF's are all for VIP or COCOM staff transport/support, not regular transport.

Sabre170

None
Petty, I know, but I hope the temperature control is next to the TACCO so we can freeze the flight station and then make it miserably hot.... not middle ground.