• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Command Financial Planning: Their Insurance and Mutual Funds Are Rip Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
my recommendation, FIRST start a ROTH. After you make 95,000 gross income, you cannot contribute to a roth. if you have extra afterwards now, contribute to TSP. once you can't contribute to a roth, do TSP. there is a $12,000/year limit on the TSP/traditional IRA. (3000/year on roth)

johndd321

jboomer said:
johnd (or anyone else with this experience)...I'm curious as to your thoughts on trading stocks through a discount broker? My wife has an accounting degree and this desire to make some use of it (due to the poor job markets we've encountered and the fact we move so much...this makes it very difficult/next to impossible)....we've actually been looking into trying some trading (more as a hobby initially). After studying up on it, we've come to the conclusion that the actual act of online trading is relatively simple (once we've worked out a strategy we're comfortable with and found an online broker).
Thoughts?

jboomer,

Have you looked at the Smartmoney article on discount brokers?

http://www.smartmoney.com/brokers/index.cfm?story=2003-basic

It looks like their favorite is TD Waterhouse for this year. I definitely think discount brokers are the best way to go if you do not want the research of the regular brokerage firms. Keeping your cost down is your best chance to beating the market. Have you thought about only using 5-10% of your assets at first to stock picking until you can get the hang of it? If you can continually beat a comparable index after deducting for fees after a couple of years maybe dedicate more.

Have you checked out Value Line and Morningstar? They have some good information on stocks.

In addition, Peter Lynch's books are good. I like his One up On Wall Street Best.

Stocks for the Long Run by Jeremy J. Siegel as well as Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel covers some market anomalies that have allowed above average market returns in the past such as the January effect and the Dogs of the Dow. I do not know if these strategies will work in the future though. I know Malkiel does not think you can beat the market in the long run, but the book will give you an idea of some pitfalls people have encountered in the past and explain the efficient market theory and investing with the herd, two good things to think about.

Good luck

johndd321

VetteMuscle427 said:
Should I invest in the TSP even if I dont plan to continue federal service once I am finished my initial committment? I have been seeing things on CNN financial about mutual funds earning like 15% a year... that sounds like a better idea.

VettMuscle427,

I want to give you a word of caution on picking any mutual funds based on past performance. Today's mutual fund winners will probably not be tomorrow's winners. Picking mutual funds based only on performance is not a good strategy. Studies show this can actually hurt your investment return because you might invest in a fund right when it is at its peak and leave another fund right before it makes a comeback. So, you will buy high and sell low and create taxes in your taxable account. There is no proven way to identify winning mutual fund managers in advance. The funds you looked at now might be earning 15% but you should not expect that in the future. The long-term return of the stock market is around 10.5%. Many mutual funds revert to that or below since the majority of mutual funds do not beat the market in the long run. Some TSP funds have returned higher than 15% in a given year. Here is a link that shows the returns of TSP funds since 1994.

http://www.tsp.gov/rates/monthly-history.html

TSP funds have an advantage because they are index funds with yearly expenses cheaper than you could find anywhere else. Even index funds at other mutual fund companies such as Vanguard charge a higher expense ratio.

I would recommend using Morningstar to aid in picking funds. They have a large database of information on any fund you want. You can compare funds to their peers as well as their indexes. A lot of it is free.

You can invest with banks, but usually at a higher cost than if you invest directly with a mutual fund company. Use banks for what they do best like loans, checking accounts, etc, not mutual funds. I would do some research and then invest directly through a fund company or through a fund family (a company that offers many funds from many companies that you can consolidate for record keeping and simplicity).

For picking the order to invest your retirement many financial advisors, recommend this.

1. Fund your 401k to the point your employer gives no more matching contributions
2. Fund your Roth to the max
3. Go back and fund the rest of your 401k to the max

Since TSP for the military is like a 401k without the matching contributions, just take out step one. Try to max both. If you leave the military, you might be able to roll TSP into another employer 401k.

Hope that helps.

Ouch

Re

I did business with these guys for a short time before I learned better.

The one and only good thing about First Command is that they offer a 85% refund of investments within 18 months of initiation. This was extremely attractive with the bear market. You could throw money into a loaded fund and if it tanked, get 85% back even if it went down 50%. That includes 85% of the load, too. So, with First Command you are guaranteed not to loose more than 15% in a 18 month period on any investment. I don't know anyone else that makes that type of guarantee.

My advice: if you are reading this and are within 18 months of starting something with them, use this policy and get out and go somewhere else. Forget about the "long term, stick with it" hoo-ha they preach. If it is a bad deal today, it will still be a bad deal 40 years from now. Just that in 40 years you can't do anything about it.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
An article just came out in the New York Times about how the insurance companies are scamming the military - notice that one of the companies mentioned is AMERICAN FIDELITY LIFE INSURANCE of Pensacola. Not only spread the word about these scams to your buds, take the time out to tell your troops, especially the youngest ones, - they can not afford it.

johndd321

Here is another article on First Command from FundAlarm. It looks like people are taking notice.

Here are some facts:

The Fidelity Destiny funds come with a 50% front-end load;

There's an outfit called First Command that sells these funds in large numbers;
There are many less expensive ways to invest in mutual funds.
Unfortunately, when you publish these facts in a national magazine, the above-mentioned First Command goes ballistic, and tries to trash the integrity, intelligence, and professionalism of the writer.....What's all the fuss about?.....Steven Goldberg is the writer, and his article -- "All Loaded Up" -- appeared in the September 2003 issue of Kiplinger's magazine.....Goldberg's article is a fairly mild expose of First Command, which is probably the world's biggest seller of mutual funds with huge front-end loads, also called "systematic" or "contractual" plan funds (companies other than Fidelity offer such funds, including AIM, Franklin Templeton and Pioneer).....The story gets a bit more complicated, and a lot more emotional, because First Command (formerly USPA) targets and sells these contractual funds almost exclusively to members of the U.S. armed forces......Goldberg's article suggests that First Command oversells these funds to unsophisticated military personnel, it points out that the 50% front-end load creates a deep financial hole for investors, and it suggests that an automatic-purchase program (via bank draft) would be a simple and sensible alternative to these monster-load funds.....Here's part of First Command's response to Goldberg's article, from a lengthy rebuttal that now appears on the company's Web site:

Mr. Goldberg is biased against First Command-recommended systematic mutual funds as a tool for helping military families achieve their long-term financial goals.

Mr. Goldberg has a history of being accused of unfairly and inaccurately attacking legitimate businesses in print.

Mr. Goldberg does not understand systematic investing and its role in helping professional military families achieve their long-term financial goals.
If you read First Command's entire response, you understand the real reason why their skivvies are in such a bunch: First Command spent a lot of time with Goldberg spinning its story, and Goldberg didn't write the article that First Command wanted.....First Command wanted Goldberg to think like a company salesperson (50% front-end load creates commitment, commitment creates discipline, discipline leads to financial goals), while Goldberg insisted on thinking for himself.....Here are the facts the way we see them: First Command is a money machine that has appointed itself the financial savior of America's military families.....First Command may be squeaky-clean with the regulators, but the very nature of its business (commission sales) prevents the company from telling its customers the whole story, which is this: Using no-load funds, there are sensible, disciplined, ways for military personnel to get exactly the same results as First Command, at a tiny fraction of the cost (even funds with traditional loads would be better than what First Command is selling).....If you're a company that really cares about our men and women in the armed forces, you tell them the whole investment story, and not just the part that earns you a 50% sales commission.....First Command doesn't tell our military personnel about no-load funds and automatic payment plans (or, presumably, the military's own Thrift Savings Plan) because First Command has no economic interest in doing so.....There's nothing inherently wrong with what First Command is doing, but it's also nothing to be proud of.....In fact, if it were us, we'd be downright ashamed.....Ultimately, First Command is defending a fat pile of cash, and Steven Goldberg isn't.....If you were in the military, who would you trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.