• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

first 2 weeks of ocs

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsin

i took e5bs advice--this is a guy that can do 40 pull ups!! More push ups and curls help. I was stagnant on 16 pullups for a month. After adding push ups and curls into my workout program i was able to move forward. I reached 19 relatively quickly after the extra workout. I finally made 20 today.

Semper Fi

klostman

the happy dance!
Originally posted by Taxman2A

For the most part though, the people who were kicked out after SULE II were kicked out because SULE II was their last chance to perform, and they didn't.

Taxman2A, E5B, or anyone else, its seems to me if I'm getting this right that a candidate can be kicked out even if he has a perfect PFT, doesn't screw up in any other aspect but the leadership roles (i.e. SULE II and other simulated events). How exactly do these events work. You say your graded by your fellow OC's and the DI's. What are you graded on exactly. What do these events consist of? Would you say they are weighed the heaviest out of everything you are graded on at OCS? How exactly can you fail these leadership roles. (i.e. you get your candidate(s)in trouble in simulated combat roles, don't relay commands exactly as told?) I and others OC's pending really appreciate any input you have. Thank you

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
As a Marine Officer you are a leader first, everything else is secondary. If I remember correctly leadership counts for 50 percent of your grade at OCS. PT is 25% and academics are 25%. Of course they don't expect you to be Chesty Puller when you go to OCS. They just want to make sure that you have what it takes to be a leader of Marines. Just have confidence in what you are doing, don't get frazzled when thing are going crazy, and make good decisions, you should do just fine.

For all of you soon to be candidates here is a word of advice. When you go to OCS get all of this pilot crap out of your head. Your first goal shoud be to become a Marine "and show what it takes to belong in MY beloved Corps!" Because if you are joining the Marines for the sole goal of becoming a pilot, you are joining for the wrong reasons. A pilot in the Vietnam war summed it up nicely when he was asked by a reporter what he did in the Marines. His response was "I'm an infantry platoon commander that gets to fly a helicopter."
Well I'm gonna get off my soap box now.

Semper Fi,
Q

Marine Helo Pilot

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Q, I couldn't have said it better myself! You flying the 53 yet?

Klost, you'll be fine, just be yourself and stay motivated. You'll see candidates like the ones Q-Ball is talking about and you'll see that they are usually the first to get the boot or DOR. If I remember correctly, you have to have an %80 average to graduate. Sule II is a big chunk of your grade, think of it as a "final", where you apply everything you have learned. You won't have to worry about Sule II until your 2nd summer. At OCS, stretching is continuous, drink plenty of water, then drink some more!!!

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

klostman

the happy dance!
Good advice, thanks guys. I'm just gonna shut my trap and stop worrying. Geez, its 5 months away and I'm already gettin' worked up.

airwinger

pilot
PT is probably the most important thing at OCS. I know leadership is the largest grade, and integrity will get you kicked out(if integrity is a problem just quit now and save yourself the trouble), but if you finish every run as near to the front as you can, don't drop out of a hump and AVOID medical you are almost 90% in. The tests shouldn't be a problem for the average college student, and the uniforms and boots just take time. I remember my poor bunkmate waking up at midnight and staying up all night before the inspections.

Now to forstall some flames that may fly. Going to medical while indicated in some situations is also the route used by most shirkers, so even if it is a legitmate gripe if you're on light duty for too long it's off home with you.
Your peers will judge your bearing based on whether you're smoking and joking or do you do what you're supposed to when no one is watching. The staff may observe you daily but as an example I only had 2 formal billets(company gunny in week 3 and squad leader in week 8-by which point they were simply xeroxing the evals) I got a favorable on my first billet did well on the runs and I noticed that I was pretty ignored for the rest of the cycle.

If you go there with less than a 225 PFT(which does happen) you are setting yourself up for problems.

semper fi,
airwinger

davidsin

Integrity meaning being dishonest? What would be a good example of someone getting kicked out due to an integrity violation? As far as humps...how long are average humps and what's the pace of them? How heavy are the packs? Are you with your rifle on humps?

Because the foolishness of God is wiser then men, and the weakness of God is stronger then men.

1 Corithians 1:25

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by davidsin
Are you with your rifle on humps?

You are with your rifle ALL the time at OCS!

The humps vary, as do the pace. I don't remember exactly what the packs consisted of, but it wasn't bad at all. The distances are: 3, 7, 9, 11, and 15....something along those lines.

Any word on when your going, Davidsin?

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

davidsin

well i got my waiver from HQ for that little childhood bb gun incident. I'm still waiting on the official word.

Speaking of humps, I went on an intended 6 mile hump up in the Hollywood mtns with Alanazali (another sna candidate)...it ended up being like 15 miles. We should have secured a map. Oh well.
shake_125.gif

About that integrity violation...anyone got an example of one? thanks.

Because the foolishness of God is wiser then men, and the weakness of God is stronger then men.

airwinger

pilot
I had a buddy(call him candidte 'X' who incidentally was ranked 5th in the company) get kicked out at the end of week 9. They were in the chow hall, apparently some kind of argument(you were talking, no I wasn't) ensued with a Sgt Ins and that very afternoon he was done. His platoon sergeant was pretty pissed of at the sgt Ins apparently, even though accounts differ he didn't actually see the candidate talk, but the guy in front of him did say something so it was assumed he(my buddy) responded. So Candidate 'X' an awesome guy, prior got kicked out while Candidate 'Y' pretty much a ****bag that shouldn't have been commissioned stayed.

I hear that X returned to OCS with the August class and should now be awaiting to start TBS.
semper fi

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
This was the example my OSO gave, I'm not sure if this was purely hypothetical or if this happens occasionally:
candidates are doing a long O course, candidate is running and can see neither the Sgt Ins nor any of the other candidates, candidate cheats on an obstacle, sgt ins peeks around a corner and sees this happen, sgt ins asks candidate if he finished the obstacle, candidate says yes, candidate gets kicked out on an integrity violation.

As for practicing humps, you should come up to the North Cascades (in WA, where I'm from originally) and do a few 10-mile off-trail trips by following the contours on a USGS 7.5 minute quad. That will get you ready for anything. Or take a NOLS course, where they'll make you do that kind of thing anyway.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

davidsin

So basically he was screwed either way. If he just bit his toungue and admitted it, he'd get it too. That's a shame. So point to keep in mind is to just simply not argue with the Sgt Ins. even if he's wrong i guess.

It won't be like this once you're on the fleet will it? Will you get a chance to put in your two sense when you're on the fleet?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
-Davidsin-
Glad to see the Bible verse at the end of your topics. I'm currently on the trail to becoming an OC and getting accepted. I need to get my 3 mile run in better shape. I did get 19 pull ups the other day, so I'm happy about that.

A few questions. Have you taken the ASTB? If so, what way did you go about studying for it? I want to be a NFO/Aviator pending the corrective eye surgery rumor and my ASTB scores.

Have you gotten accepted to OCS yet? Are you going to OCC or PLC?

I'm running in a half-marathon at the end of april, so I should be good to go as far as running PT at OCS. I'm only a sophmore in college, so if I dont get accepted for this summer I'll have the next two. That way the board will know that I'm seroious about this.

I'm new to this site, so I dont really know how to navigate it. I'll keep looking for replies.
Thanks & Semper FI
-Col.3:23-

davidsin

hmm...ASTB. My oso gave me a packet to study, and it was very helpful. I also picked up an ASTB study guide from Barnes & Noble. Also, this site helps a bit.

http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/

I'm also pretty new to this site. I'm a pending candidate for OCC #183 just waiting for the official word. You seem to be in PLC, so maybe someone here that's going through that proccess can be more helpful.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I have something to ask all the Marine OC's that want to be NFO's. I'm wondering when your time of duty starts? Is is after you recieve your wings?

Secondly, I want some input about civilian jobs after NFO's get out of the Marines. Can NFO's serve as First Officers on a commercial airliner? That's what I want to do. Just let me know if this is possible of if I'm just dreaming. Thanks and Semper FI

Status
Not open for further replies.