• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

first 2 weeks of ocs

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsin

I've been told that the first two weeks of OCS is "solid hell" what happens during the first two weeks? Anyone been there wanna tell about it?

How's the weather like in Quantico in June-Aug?

Semper Fi

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
The first two weeks is called "Transition Training", and it means just that. They are beating (not physically) the nasty civilian out of you and giving you a "military mindset". The whole thing (OCS begining-end)is meant to be "solid hell", you just get used to it after the first couple weeks. It's fun...you'll see.
icon_smile_wink.gif

June-August weather...you'll see lots of Black Flag days (which means-friggin HOT
jump_125.gif
), and a few rainy days. Stay hydrated, even when you don't think you are thirsty. It's hard to do sometimes because the water over there tastes like over-chlorinated swimming pool water.

Does that shed some light?

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
in the transition phase, you can expect all three of your platoon's sergeant instructors, as well as any that might be passing by, on your butts all the time.. after that, they lighten up a little bit each week until by week ten the candidates are pretty much running the platoon with only minor guidance and "instruction". by then you've weeded out all the nasties. however, we did drop a kid for leadership scores at the end of the ninth week! poor bastard.

AllenAzali

thats sad dude! I reckon he must have been pretty clueless. Exactly how can someone be that bad of a leader, if you dont mind me asking.

farkle84

you have to show the other candidates in your platoon that you have leadership qualities which you will have to memorize and recite. if the candidates in your platoon give you a bad evaluation then you have the last chance to plead your case at the board in front of the Colonel. i never went to the board and from what i heard you dont want to. my advice, go into OCS with confidence that you know you will overcome anything and stay motivated. and it wasnt the first two weeks for our platoon. it was the first six weeks. we were in hell for about six weeks. we wished we were outside on the parade deck or doing PT, anything but inside. you will know what i mean after the first week. good luck

Taxman2A

War were declared.
In reply to:
"thats sad dude! I reckon he must have been pretty clueless. Exactly how can someone be that bad of a leader, if you dont mind me asking."

It is not hard to be "that bad of a leader". When I went through OCS this past summer we kicked 4 or 5 out at the end of week nine for having poor scores on SULE II. Don't think that you completely have to have your head stuck in your ass to fail OCS, some candidates do have such a problem, but for my class slightly less than half got kicked out, and most of them were for problems which fall under the category of "unsatisfactory leadership".

charger

Do people who get kicked out for leadership problems know they are struggling? Or were they doing fine until week nine SULE II? I guess I am wondering if one bad day or failing one event will get you a bus ticket home? What are the instructors looking for when it comes to leadership?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
well... in MOST situations those that were kicked out following SULE II were already sort of on the bubble. The one candidate we had who was OK until the week 9 boards was kicked out for an integrity violation. But to answer your question charger- no, one bad day or one bad event won't get you kicked out, unless it involves you doing something extremely stupid (i.e. we had a candidate get kicked out for going outside to try and use a payphone during firewatch!).

For the most part though, the people who were kicked out after SULE II were kicked out because SULE II was their last chance to perform, and they didn't.

As far as what the instructors are looking for when it comes to leadership- I think Farkle's advice above certainly rings true- they are looking for confidence, and a good attitude. Also, one thing that seems to save you all the time is PT. If you can run a 300 PFT, life is alot easier, and barring an integrity violation you would have to be a very nasty candidate to get kicked out. Personally, PT was by far my worst aspect, and even though I was actually good at other forms leadership, the fact that I was weak at PT made me a target for the Sgt. Instructors when they were in need of one.

The constant factor that leadership seems to boil down to though is confidence. Work on speaking confidently, and remember to have a good attitude, especially when you are in a leadership position.

In addition to this, as a blanket statement, don't tell a lie for those 10 weeks. Not that there is an abundance of opportunities to tell lies, but an integrity violation is a stupid and avoidable way to get kicked out.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Taxman2A
...don't tell a lie for those 10 weeks.
Honesty should be a way of life for a Marine officer, not just 10 weeks. Not only in your career, should you not lie, but in every day life as a citizen.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

jwnole

With 6,7,6 on the ASTB, how high do I really need to score on my PFT for selection? 5 points a pullup might hurt me. I can run and crunch all day but damned if I cant just get 14 or so pullups.

determined to get 20.

jw

Adrenaline Rush

pushups are not in the pft..Just a 3 mile run, situps, and pullups,(errr pullups are killin me too)

I'd Rather Be A Lion For One Day, Than Be A Sheep For A Thousand Years

It Is Our Duty To Protect The Best Nation In The World

farkle84

if you are having trouble with the pull ups on the PFT JWNOLE then in your workout, dont only do pullups, but work on your biceps and your back muscles as well as shoulders. and pushups are not in the PFT but they are in the combat readiness test in which you have to 50 and i believe you have either a minute or two minutes. good luck. the combat readiness test and endurance course are freakin really grueling, so get in shape.

Beaver

jwnole,
My OSO told me when I was applying that the Marines don't care exactly how high your ASTB scores are, only that you passed the test. I'm not sure if this is true but it could be. Either way, though, I would shoot for 270 or above, if possible. I got in without a problem with a 275, so if you score close to that then you should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.